anybody know of some lite freeride tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

anybody know of some lite freeride tires

yeh hey I am looking for a lite rear freeride tire that is about 2.25 inches wide that would be good for freeriding but is still good for xc. I will be using a IRC Trail bear for the front and just need something lite and cheap for the back. so I dont have to try trailriding on my hookworms.

USB Rep'n

lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by gtbikesalltheway
    yeh hey I am looking for a lite rear freeride tire that is about 2.25 inches wide that would be good for freeriding but is still good for xc. I will be using a IRC Trail bear for the front and just need something lite and cheap for the back. so I dont have to try trailriding on my hookworms.
    Once I actually went out to our local trails during the mud season and couldn't figure out why I was riding like h@ll when I finally realized I still had a hookworm on the back. Note to self: NOT a good mud tire! Anyhow, I have had great luck with Kenda Kinetics this season. 700g 2.35" and rolls well enough for XC. Oh yeah, they're inexpensive too.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Kenda

I know Kenda makes some seriously light tires that are great for XC/FR stuff. The Blue Groove. Nevegal, Kinetics all come in a light casing 2.10 & 2.35 with weights between 650-800 grams.

DOME Freeride Mafia

I'm riding a Kenda Nevegal...

and it's great! You have a choice when purchasing the Nevegal of getting a steel bead or a kevlar bead. The kevlar bead version is quite a bit lighter, however, the kevlar version doesn't have the reinforced sidewalls and puncture-resistant casing. I'm riding the steel bead version and so far, no flats. I've been continually amazed at how well it hooks up in the turns, either on mud, sand, dirt, or solid rock (I have the pleasure of riding in New Mexico where we get alot of slickrock-type trails . Of course, there are plenty of places here that are plagued by an abundance of goat-heads, too ). The 2.5" steel bead tire weighs 1250 gm (2.75 lb for those of us living on Earth) and the 2.5" kevlar bead "folding" tire weighs 870 gm (1.91 lb). You can check the tires out at:
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/downhill.cfm?p=03
    Just keep in mind the tradeoff for puncture and pinch-flat resistance with weight savings...you'll go a hell of a lot slower on lightweight tires if you're sitting on the side of the trail fixing a flat! Good luck with your search!
    (By the way, I'm not sure if the bead is Kevlar or something similar.)

DOME Freeride Mafia

Good job! One more thing...

I purchased my Nevegal at beyondbikes.com and was pleased with their "Price Match" guarantee. I found a different website (Supergo I think) that had the Nevegal for less than the list price at beyondbikes. In only 5 minutes, I filled out their price match page, and received an email stating that the price had been accepted. BTW, you are not obligated to purchase anything if they accept the price match.