Any thoughts on a 24" rim for xc?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Any thoughts on a 24" rim for xc?

I was hoping to get some thoughts from the DH guru's on a 24" disc rim for xc. I figure its the DH guys that know the good, bad, and ugly on the rims and would appreciate any insight. I ride mostly trails,no air, weigh 185lb and plan on using with CK hubs and Sapim CX-ray spokes. Light would be nice, but from what I am seeing, 600 grams seem to be the lighter end. Also, I saw some tubeless rims in 24" from Sun. Are there any tubeless tires to be use on these rims...I am running Mavic 819's now and love them so wouldnt mind going tubeless if their are tires on market. Anyway thanks for reading post and thanks for sharing some thoughts

mtbr member
    just a Q, but why would u wanna run 24" on a XC bike, thats a whole lot of pedaling...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Unfortunately my mountian cycle zen (small) has a High top tube for my inseam, I want to lower my BB hieght by an inch in order for the bike to seat right. I am going to use a 48t,38t,28t chainring combo. I also plan on taken a 1/2 " of the bottom of the steerer tube(machining) to allow my to keep geomerty correct and use a 130mm for for a frame designed for a 105mm fork. I will eventually go with a rofloff hub instead of cassette/chainring combo...to which I will be able to easly switch cogs for desired gearing.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    inseam (standover height) is a useless peice of information when talking about modern full suspension bikes. You may not be able to stand with your feet on the ground and clear the top tube, and that is OK. That is not a "fitting" criteria for a modern bike. Your leg extension is far more important, and your upper body length as well. Inseam is helpfull in fitting a bike, but "standover clearence" is completely blown out of proportion. When you stop and get off the bike you put a foot out to the side to do it.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpstoked
    I was hoping to get some thoughts from the DH guru's on a 24" disc rim for xc. I figure its the DH guys that know the good, bad, and ugly on the rims and would appreciate any insight. I ride mostly trails,no air, weigh 185lb and plan on using with CK hubs and Sapim CX-ray spokes. Light would be nice, but from what I am seeing, 600 grams seem to be the lighter end. Also, I saw some tubeless rims in 24" from Sun. Are there any tubeless tires to be use on these rims...I am running Mavic 819's now and love them so wouldnt mind going tubeless if their are tires on market. Anyway thanks for reading post and thanks for sharing some thoughts
    I've got some lightweight 24" XC rims that can be adapted to be tubeless. I'm thinking about selling them if you're interested.

mtbr member
    thoughts on 24" for XC...simply...BOO..... if anything for XC you want 26 or 29"s.... it's more effiecent.. if your running a bike that's not made for 24" expect to be wacking your pedals and bash guard more often...24 is also harder to roll over large objects...it'll also slow your top speed down too... 24" are great if you want to slack your geometry making the bike "easier" to throw around..Like for freeriding there great.... but their drawback is when it comes to trail riding.

DOH!
    I rode my dirtjump bike - Balfa Minuteman equipped with 24's - a lot on-trail this summer, and though it would never win me any races, it was a lot of fun. 24's accelerate faster, but also can "hook" on roots and rocks (thus jumping over them is a better choice, if available, and more fun!), as well as don't carry momentum as well. I run 165mm cranks, but still whacked a pedal now and again. 24's made the bike lots of fun to toss around in the air, even off the smallest launches.

If you're XC'ing to be first guy to the top, forget 24's. If you're just riding for fun, they're fine. Nothing wrong with doing some extra pedaling and burning a few extra calories on a ride if you're not racing. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    inseam (standover height) is a useless peice of information when talking about modern full suspension bikes. You may not be able to stand with your feet on the ground and clear the top tube, and that is OK. That is not a "fitting" criteria for a modern bike. Your leg extension is far more important, and your upper body length as well. Inseam is helpfull in fitting a bike, but "standover clearence" is completely blown out of proportion. When you stop and get off the bike you put a foot out to the side to do it.
    Don't know if I agree with you there, having standover clearance has saved my boys countless times when getting off to the side of the bike wasn't an option. If standover clearance is an issue, why do all modern DH bikes have bent top tubes to increase it?

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334