Any suggestions for decent googles?- Mtbr.com
    Ideas Above My Station...

Any suggestions for decent googles?

OK, so i looked all over MTBR and only found a few threads covering goggles, and none of them really answer my questions.

I have 2 pairs of Thor goggles, and they are sh*t. They fogged up within the first 10 minutes during the Mega, while my fellow riders had theirs on until the bottom.

Not that i'm doing the mega again any time soon, but i really want a pair that doesn't hinder my vision by fogging up almost straight away.

I wear a TLD D2 and a mate suggested trying a different goggle that may fit in the helmet aperture better, as the Thor's do seem to float a little off my face which apparently can make them fog easier?

I love the look of Electric and Spy and some of the Oakleys, but have no idea which is best and if any of them have a better shape to fit in the Troy Lee. Any help would be awesome, as pics just don't look so good without goggles....
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    Oakley Crowbars? I live in Singapore(very high humidity) and they've been good to me, so far.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    OK, so i looked all over MTBR and only found a few threads covering goggles, and none of them really answer my questions.

I have 2 pairs of Thor goggles, and they are sh*t. They fogged up within the first 10 minutes during the Mega, while my fellow riders had theirs on until the bottom.

Not that i'm doing the mega again any time soon, but i really want a pair that doesn't hinder my vision by fogging up almost straight away.

I wear a TLD D2 and a mate suggested trying a different goggle that may fit in the helmet aperture better, as the Thor's do seem to float a little off my face which apparently can make them fog easier?

I love the look of Electric and Spy and some of the Oakleys, but have no idea which is best and if any of them have a better shape to fit in the Troy Lee. Any help would be awesome, as pics just don't look so good without goggles....

I've ridden Oakley Crowbars and Spy Magneto back to back, and I have to say I like the Spy's better. They seem to vent better than the Oakleys when standing still. The foam is also alittle bit more comfortable than the Oakleys. I didn't have problems with fogging on either pair of goggles. The Spy's are a bit bigger feeling then the oakleys, they seem to go up higher on my face then the Oakleys. I didn't have any helmet issues with either(I have a Giro Remedy). I think either way you can't go wrong, I just prefer the Spy's..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

should know better.....
    Yeah, you are right about the floating being a big part of the problem.
    If they don't form a tight seal, then when your breath hits the chin guard of your FF, a lot of that moist air gets deflected back towards your face getting inside and fogging the goggles. Harder you breath, bigger the problem.
    It's hard to know which goggles best fit a specific helmet without trying them on, as what fits one person may not fit you depending on how low the helmet sits on your head, i.e. if you have a "taller" or "shorter" forehead.

Personally I like Smith googles, they fit my Remedy and my Fox V3. No fogging problems when moving, but if I'm really heated up, and stationary for a while, then they will fog.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Smith makes some of the best googles on the market for snow or dirt. They've been around forever and they have better tech than most. They fit very well with a variety of frame shapes, and they have a ton of lens options too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Im liking my Spy Magnetos
    2009 SX Trail 2

Commit or eat sh!t
    +1 for Spy Magnetos. Don't really fog, and comfortable.

-1 for Smith.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    oakly o-frames. cheap and have a variety of lenses.

Glad to Be Alive
    Blurs by Azonic/Oneil. cheap, well ventilated (no fogging) and have a variety of lenses
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    Oakley Crowbars.
    + 1

Cool, SPy's are an options then, and my LBS has some M-Frames and some Crowbars too i think, i guess i need to take my helmet in and try them.

Those Blurs seems cool too, didn't realise they were Azonic / O'Neal!

Ta for all the feedback.

No love for Electric though?

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Haven't found any Electrics to try as I like their stuff, but I run Crowbars... Easy to find lenses where I live (lots of MX shops) plus their comfy and don't fog. For me anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    +1 for Spy Magnetos. Don't really fog, and comfortable.

-1 for Smith.
    Why the -1 for Smith's?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by BWVDubya
    Why the -1 for Smith's?
    Felt good without the helmet and pricing was excellent, but when I started using it, it was uncomfortable, no matter how loose I had it. Because there are so many styles out there, I had trouble finding replacement lenses/tear-offs. And it would fog up frequently.

No such issues with Spy Magnetos.

Nov 2007
    Felt good without the helmet and pricing was excellent, but when I started using it, it was uncomfortable, no matter how loose I had it. Because there are so many styles out there, I had trouble finding replacement lenses/tear-offs. And it would fog up frequently.

No such issues with Spy Magnetos.
    Which pair did you have?

The only reason I care is because I get 50% off of Smith and was looking to order some.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by BWVDubya
    Which pair did you have?

The only reason I care is because I get 50% off of Smith and was looking to order some.
    I get discounts on Smiths too, but never again. Smith Moto-Cross Series model. Maybe their higher-end models are better. But I have been very happy with the Spy Magnetos.

Nov 2007
    I get discounts on Smiths too, but never again. Smith Moto-Cross Series model. Maybe their higher-end models are better. But I have been very happy with the Spy Magnetos.
    I was looking for a specific model so I don't order the same ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    my favorite goggles?, WILEY X bullistic their super small (almost like sunglasses) they dont fog at all, and they fit your face perfect

N* Bomber Crew
    My Blur B1's fogged a lot. My Oakley Crowbars don't.

So I guess I'm going with the Crowbars here.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Bum Buzzer
    99 out of 100, I cant stand wearing goggles. If Im right behind someone on a dusty trail - better to have, but Ill just stay in front then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    steel mx crome snowboard goggles. I find that snow goggles fog less than MX goggles. The speeds are more comparable with DH and snow sports. The speeds are higher with moto and this keeps mx goggles from fogging. I have had lots of problems with moto goggles fogging while riding DH, even with brand new fog resistant goggles right out of the box

mtbr member
    rockgardn jags hands down the best.

I have heard that snowboard goggles are better too, but some of the best looking and most suitable ones look like they might be too big to fit in the helmet aperture. The SPY Apollo are expensive but seem to have all the tech and they look amazing;http://www.spyoptic.com/category/135430/APOLLO
    But these Electric ones look too big http://www.electricvisual.com/produc...spherical/eg2/

And i'll be honest i can't find a colourway i like on the Oakleys, but i may just have to suck that up, as at least i can try on a pair at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Snow lenses tend to get scratched much easier.
    I'm a little curious, what kind of colourway are you looking at? Crowbars come in a few colours and not one suits you?
    http://www.oakley.com/pd/2141

Well i kinda wanted something a bit lairy, but all one colour, like the POC goggles all orange. Electric and SPY have a bunch of ones i like but Oakleys are mostly patterned and/or fades with black bands. Not all that bad, but i'm a fussy fvkcer!!

The orange / grey are closest but i want black and orange....... like i said can't be too fussy though.
    (Also, i love the look of spherical lenses but they only seem to be on snow goggles? Are snow goggles a no-go for MTB then?).

mtbr member
    You might like the Magnetos from Spy Optics. Doesn't fog easily and it has a couple goggles that look like what you've described.

http://www.spyoptic.com/category/62215/MAGNETO

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I use Dragon MDX's and they never fog, and neither do my Crowbars. If you are having issues with fogging you might want to try some snow goggles. I have Giro Score's in the snow configuration, the only difference I see is there is no rubber on the back of the strap(which I have not had a problem with on my Giro Remedy) and there are some vents in the lense that bring fresh air in, that should be so with all snow goggles.

mtbr member
    While snowboard goggles are nice they don't hold up well in the dust. They scratch easily which so do most mtb goggles but the cost of snow lenses is far higher then that of moto or mtb. My Rockgardn jags were like $40 and I bought a couple extra lenses for like $8 each and tear offs. And they fit perfect in both my d2 and d3

mtbr member
    I've a TLD D2 and the Spy Magnetos fit really well with the helmet. They're the first FF and goggle combo I've tried though so I don't have a lot of experience wearing FF helmets. I have Snowboarded a ton for the last twenty tears though and have tried and worn tons of different goggles and the magnetos fit me pretty well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Members who have read this thread: 0