Any One had this problem when they started learning?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. Any One had this problem when they started learning?

Did anyone have the mental reaction of letting go of the bars when you stated biking? When I hit jumps and drops from my roof on my GT I always let go of the sled...... it also happened to me when I started riding free ride.................

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    I had the problem of never letting go. I'd be sliding across the ground holding onto the bike still!

Don't jump off your roof...
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Moose Member
    I have the problem of not letting go too, Deadly, did you ever get over not being able to let go? im afraid its going to get me hurt some day...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    I have the problem of not letting go too, Deadly, did you ever get over not being able to let go? im afraid its going to get me hurt some day...

OT from OP's topic but I have the same problem, not sure if it's in quite the same way. Mine seems to be more on over confidence in bringing back a crashing bike. I've gotten better though. Mostly just better judgement and not over estimating one's ability.

But this problem has hurt me. 2 Dislocated elbows, separate incidents a few years apart. Holding on until it's too late is a bad habit!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Might as well give the bar a spin while you're dropping

Underskilled
    OMG never had that issue, so so happy I didnt
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thats kinda funny, one of my riding friends is always letting go of his bike. Sometimes I say "what did you do that for?" because it doesn't even look like he is crashing, he just bails randomly, hahaha! Maybe I can set him up and get video of it.

mtbr member
    I see very painful faceplants into your handlebars in the future for you...

If anything, I sometimes try to hold on for too long, but have learned that I'd rather save my own butt instead of my bike. Either way, you need to know when and when not to hold on. Knowing when to bail can save you from a lot of injuries/painful wrecks.

Its got what plants crave
    If anything I freeze up which is probably way worse than bailing without the bike. At least without the bike I can tuck and roll.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    If anything I freeze up which is probably way worse than bailing without the bike. At least without the bike I can tuck and roll.

So you're a "dead sailor'er" and the OP is a "super man'er/no footer'er". You two aughta shoot some video together, it would be awesome!!

mtbr member
    I had a friend ride his dirtbike to the ground. The bar end cut off his pinky. He didn't know that his finger was severed until he pulled off his glove in front of me. I was shocked and he was cool like Fonzie.

Me: "That was a nasty spill. You ok?"
    Him: "Yeah, I'm cool." (pulling off glove) "Hmm, guess not." (pinkie dangles by thread of skin)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Don't jump off your roof...
    Its not that bad with the amount of snow that we have. Its probably maybe 9 to 10 feet up but with the snow, its like cut to about 5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I always thought that letting go would be the first reaction.... guess I was wrong

Ancient Chinese Secret
    You're gonna be great at no-handers if you can ever get the bike to stay with you!

Moose Member
    Whenever I hit a jump off balance I freak our and hold on for dear life. Is there a way to practice bailing?

mtbr member
    Funny watching someone practice that in a river jump or a foam pit. It would sound like the lamest excuse ever.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Whenever I hit a jump off balance I freak our and hold on for dear life. Is there a way to practice bailing?
    Don't tense up and clinch the bars. Stay loose, look where you want to go, and ride it out.
    As long as the wheels are pointing down, you should be good.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

meow meow
    when i first started jumping i would hold on to the bars but take my feet off the pedals. eventully i stopped once i realized i was clearing the gap.

Its got what plants crave
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseyDeadly, did you ever get over [B
    not[/B] being able to let go?
    Oh yeah I got over it. I'm also one of those, "I can save this!" kind of guys. I still can't do no-handers though.
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Members who have read this thread: 0