Another what bike thread...- Mtbr.com
    Moose Member

Another what bike thread...

First off, for those of you who say that 95% of my threads are what bike threads, i have 8, out of 125(ish) threads...

So, i realized ive been asking about new bikes all the time, for no good reason. Well at Northstar I Demoed a 2011 Demo 8, and it felt like a dream compared to my M1. i mean it was like a Ferrari, compared to my 97 Pontiac grand am (M1)... i was going twice as fast, if not faster, over most trails. It made me realize a newer bike with newer parts and suspension could really help improve my riding. Besides that my m1 is old as balls.

I have my M1 listed and have lots of interest in it. I would also be willing to sell my porter for a nice solid bike.

some bikes I'm looking at:
    Session 77
    Stinky
    Lucky 7
    Demo 7
    Demo 9

And the ones I'm really looking into:
    Rocky mountain Flatline (certain ones are in my price range)
    Rocky Mountain Slayer SS
    Old Demo 8
    Old SxT
    And ive seen a new SxT or two in my price range

I really like the Slayer, but im afraid 6" wont be enough. Im going to college next year and can only take one bike, so this fits it well. All the schools i'm looking at have more DJ oriented spots anyway.

How do old Demo 8's compare to the new ones? I heard that they were pretty heavy and sluggish, definitely not my style.

Im also going to Virgin Utah this thanksgiving and need a bike that can handle 10-20 foot drops. my goal is to hit a solid 20-footer, but 15' would satisfy me.

any advice on any of the bikes is appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    RM Flatline FR edition (adjustable geo) from Mammoth rental fleet for less than $1200. I seen one day they posted $800 or so for the whole thing.
    These are just one season old, drop some new parts on it, ride happy
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think anything over 6" travel for DJ is way too much.

Perpetual Hack
    Slayer is a nice ride, but for AM not DH.
    I have a 2006, 50, which was the first year of that style and the model they introduced the L2CR rear suspension. They spit into SXC and SS the next year.
    I ended up having the stock RP3 Pushed, that made a huge difference.
    My 17 year old now rides the Slayer.

If you want a Rocky and true DH, go for the FlatLine, the Slayer is more of a DH'ers Trailbike.

michael

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Slayer is a nice ride, but for AM not DH.
    I have a 2006, 50, which was the first year of that style and the model they introduced the L2CR rear suspension. They spit into SXC and SS the next year.
    I ended up having the stock RP3 Pushed, that made a huge difference.
    My 17 year old now rides the Slayer.

If you want a Rocky and true DH, go for the FlatLine, the Slayer is more of a DH'ers Trailbike.

michael
    the slayer ss is most definitely not an AM bike

Glad to Be Alive
    hmmm.....set up suspension right and your bike will ride a lot better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

NOT Team Sanchez
    Where are you going to college Moosey? I think that should factor into what type of bike you consider. If you end up where there's a lift, then get a full on dh, otherwise a solid 6'' will be the best ticket to the most terrain.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    hmmm.....set up suspension right and your bike will ride a lot better
    This actaully is probably more true than anything. Most high end bikes will ride the same, in a sense, but will feel slow and uncontrollable unless you set it up correctly. To soft and you blow through your travel, to hard and the ride feels harsh, ect...

I just finally got around to servicing my front forks on my two bikes and they feel 100x better, being that the boxxer team had no oil or grease on the seals in it I found and my marz 55 had no grease on the seals, once i got all that worked out they ride a lot better and I feel a lot more control in my riding now that I no longer have to pump through each obstacle or my arm's get tired from trail chatter.

And, trust me you can fit more than one bike in your dorm room...I have...

One bike up against the wall, might want to make a stand for it. The other one, my dh bike, has the wheels off and can be put under my bed, the wheels placed either in my closet or ontop of towels coving my dh bike.. My bike work stand nicely folds away and is stashed in a corner. Trust me my room is tiny, and who cares about your roommate's comfort :P If keeping them in your room doesn't work then get a beefy lock and lock up the one you ride around campus more locked up in some place sheltered I used a indoor stairwell at my first school that worked very nciely. And, take apart the other one like, pull front forks off and wheels and put under your bed and cover it with towels.

Moose Member
    Gully rides his slayer through most of this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WcFvxoq5C64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Im looking into a college about 30mins from virgin, but theres tons of AM in the area.

A college in Seattle... Colonnade and Djs galore. Nick Simcik is in the area too so i'll talk to him about whats up there,

and a college in Provo. I know of some big Slopestyle sized spots up there, not much true DH though.

I can get a Slayer ss 350 for about $1000, but i'll need to replace the shock bushings. I have some extras from my porter, but if they dont fit i'll order new ones. This will leave my plenty of money to get a X-Fusion Vengeance, and a Vector air when they come out. just worried about big drops. so im kinda checking it off the list.

I know that tuning my suspension perfectly would be the best option ever.... i've got it pretty damn close. I had my shock tuned by avalanche.... My M1 is old and creaky. i just want something newer. i've already snapped 1 derailleur hanger on my Porter. what if i do this to my M1.... a while back you guys were saying that my bike is holding me back... now its magically as good as all 2011 bikes?

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by cicatrix View Post
    the slayer ss is most definitely not an AM bike

Why not?

Seems to fit the new AM niche pretty well. 152mm rear, 160 front, dual ring capable, 66 degree head angle...

Not too far off of my Delirium, (Knolly's AM bike before the new Chilcotin came out) - 170 Coil F&R, Dual ring ( soon to be single ) 65.5 - 66.5 degree HA. I pedal the thing XC - Lift Service.

Granted both are on the DH side of AM, not the XC side like most AM bikes. Also I'm over 200 lbs and tend to break things. Like I said a DHers Trailbike.

Your mileage may vary

michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey Moosey, have you looked at the Scott Voltage FR? 130mm-180mm rear travel ability, can take single or dual crowns with no issues and 3 different chainstay lengths. You could rock the DH, AM or Slopestyle on this bad boy. Love mine.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk View Post
    RM Flatline FR edition (adjustable geo) from Mammoth rental fleet for less than $1200. I seen one day they posted $800 or so for the whole thing.
    These are just one season old, drop some new parts on it, ride happy
    will they ship? i just searched their website to see who to contact about them, and found nothing. Got any ideas?

I was there a while ago and saw the deal, but i cant get back up there anytime soon to buy one.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Coming to DSC huh? Have you ridden St.George Moosey? Virgin's an after thought compared to everything else going on in the area, don't get me wrong, Virgin has its place, but pushing your bike up a hill all day gets really old.......
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Why not?

Seems to fit the new AM niche pretty well. 152mm rear, 160 front, dual ring capable, 66 degree head angle...

Not too far off of my Delirium, (Knolly's AM bike before the new Chilcotin came out) - 170 Coil F&R, Dual ring ( soon to be single ) 65.5 - 66.5 degree HA. I pedal the thing XC - Lift Service.

Granted both are on the DH side of AM, not the XC side like most AM bikes. Also I'm over 200 lbs and tend to break things. Like I said a DHers Trailbike.

Your mileage may vary

michael
    are you talking about the slayer ss or the slayer 50?

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04 View Post
    Coming to DSC huh? Have you ridden St.George Moosey? Virgin's an after thought compared to everything else going on in the area, don't get me wrong, Virgin has its place, but pushing your bike up a hill all day gets really old.......
    Actually, my grandparents live in st George. I'm headed there for thanksgiving and get 1 or 2 days in virgin. I've heard if some good trails (poppy trail or something?) but I'm not familiar enough with the area to know/get to the spots.

St George is more 6" travel area isn't it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Moosey, saw your ride on VITAL!

Late 90's Intense M1 - Intense M1 - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

It's infameous, just tune the suspension like SMT suggests and you'll be blazing fast! No need for a new bike, heck those forks alone are worth $$$.

On a budget I'd go with an old SX Trail for light bike, or square tube DHR for DH. There are much better bang for the buck options than a Demo.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgundy snake View Post
    Moosey, saw your ride on VITAL!

Late 90's Intense M1 - Intense M1 - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

It's infameous, just tune the suspension like SMT suggests and you'll be blazing fast! No need for a new bike, heck those forks alone are worth $$$.

On a budget I'd go with an old SX Trail for light bike, or square tube DHR for DH. There are much better bang for the buck options than a Demo.
    I sent my shock into avalanche to get it tuned... dont know how to get it any more tuned than that... and i love my fork, its awesome....

How should i tune my suspension? Apparently the guys at avalanche didnt do it right... (sarcasm.... its really nice...)

Moose Member
    BTW, heres my M1...
    Another what bike thread...-p1010812.jpg

Another what bike thread...-p1010841.jpg

mtbr member
    Maybe if you had a front brake your rear suspension would work better? Just sayin.. Much easier on the trails too.

Moose Member
    Hmm, I didn't realize that a front brake made suspension work better... ill get on that craigstr... apparently my bike is fine guys, the reason the suspension is acting funny is my lack of a front brake....

Really bro, when I rode the demo 8 I used the front brake once, to do a stoppie in the village.

BTW to clarify its a slayer ss 350...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Hmm, I didn't realize that a front brake made suspension work better... ill get on that craigstr... apparently my bike is fine guys, the reason the suspension is acting funny is my lack of a front brake....

Really bro, when I rode the demo 8 I used the front brake once, to do a stoppie in the village.

you will never be a good or great rider without front brake PERIOD !!!!

you will always be slow too

THOSE ARE THE FACTS........THOUGHT WE WENT OVER THIS BEFORE....YOU NEVER LEARN
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 10-02-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Really?

So many things to consider here... First and foremost all rear suspension designs firm up to some degree under braking forces. Second... without a front brake all the load is being put on the rear while braking, what I'm saying here is that the front end isnt being compressed by the front brake which frees up the rear to soak up bumps, third..there is no way you can modulate your brakes and control your speed effectively without skidding (which in turn tears up the trail but you probably dont give a **** about that), rear suspensions dont work well when the rear wheel is locked up. Everything is working against your rear suspension without a front brake. You only used the front brake on the Demo because that is what you are used to doing. Any more smart ass remarks for me?

mtbr member
    The moose is progressing so fast that he defies convention, he gives out advice at the same time refuses or ignores one. Basing on his posts regarding on what bikes other people should get seems like a paradox when he wants advice/input on the same subject matter.
    Folangag

Stand back
    Do you really not run a front brake? Why have a rotor up there, then?
    And if I only had one brake on my bike, it would be the front, not the rear.
    A new bike would be an improvement over your M1, but IMO, unless you're riding lifts every week, having a big bike for your only bike makes no sense. You'll have more fun on your Porter than a big bike as a one bike quiver.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    let me put it this way.....if the demo was a Ferrari, and your m1 is a grand am, the flatline (at least the 1st gen I have) is a monster truck. It is just a damn beast on the steep rocky and rooty stuff. Its definitely not the best option out there if your into jumps and getting air but its pretty nuts when things get rough

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Your bike is rad, and very capable, just watch some old vids of Palmer! With a tuned shock from Avy, the problem as others have pointed out, is not the bike; it's your style. If you watch the best riders, they are low in the attack position, bent forward, arms wide, weight neurtal. This is only possible using the front brake for a majority of the braking force, with propper balance and modulation with the rear. Look at Peat's rear rotor compared to his front, that should tell you what he uses most.

The demo has an extra linkage to minimize the brake jack effect of the FSR suspsension. Your M1 is suseptible to brake jack and why under hard braking the suspension feels stiff, harsh, and non compliant. You could throw a bar on it like FOES to aleviate the brake jack. The Session 77 will have this brake jack effect to a lesser degree; the 88 solved this by locating the pivot at the axle so that the caliper force would not result in a moment. RM changed the Slayer design to locate the rear pivot as close and inline with the axle, not sure what version you are looking at. I wouldn't consider anything other than the current model personally. The Flatline is tank with lift riding in mind.

I hate to admit that on a budget with your heavy rear brake, aft center of gravity style, an Ironhorse Sunday or 7-Point would suit you well. And we all know the quality problems Ironhorse suffered. The DW design remains active under heavy rear braking. Hill was dominant on the Sunday, but has to work a bit harder on the Demo.

In short, rather than changing the bike, I'd first suggest that you get comfortable with using the front brake and feel the rear suspension become more active. Lube all your pivots, service and clean your bike, and ride like there is no tomorrow! The bikes you're considering will not solve your problem.

Moose Member
    Firt off, sorry bout my pissy ass post earlier Cragstr. That was about 30mins after i finished the SAT, and after 5 hours of strait testing, i'm not a pleasant person to be around...

im not worried about rocks and that shiznit. works good. i love hauling over rocks on this bike. The Demo 8 will work better, just because it was a $7000 setup? something like that...

its the drops. I hit the boondocks drop pretty good. didnt go too fast or to far, and it didn't bottom, but the tire hit the seat tube. I hit the first jump on liftline, and the tire hit the seat tube upon takeoff. I'm worried that when i head down to utah (at least one day in virgin, then who knows what i'll ride in St. George...) it will kill me. I've told Wil White that its my goal to hit a 15-20 foot drop. I've hit a 10 foot drop easy, and want to hit something where people say "wow, thats pretty big..." so i set my goal at 15. Im worried that ill land the drop, I'll bottom my shock, and my tire will get shredded on my seat-tube. I hit a 3 foot drop at rattlesnake today and the tire hit the seat tube... ill post a vid later where theres audio evidence...

I'm thinking about getting an airshock for the rear and pumping the PSI up hella high for when i go to virgin.... just an idea....

the other thing that has me worried is college. No matter where i choose, its a lot of DJing and Slopestyle sized riding. I have Djed my M1 a little, and its fun, but its like throwing a sack of rocks around. it gets tiring fast.

Front brake: Again Craigstr, sorry, my sarcasm was very *******-ish and uncalled for. I know that i need a front brake, but both mounts i've ordered havent fit. I've asked for help twice on here, and had no help. I first ordered a standard 74mm IS to Post mount 160mmm (the 07 fox 40 takes a 160mm mount for 8" discs) and it was too fat. I have a friend in reno that has a ton of friends working at bike shops that are looking for me, but im not going to hold off riding until i get it. I also make sure to never lock up the brake at northstar. its bad for trails. I know the trails at Northstar good enough that i know whats coming, and how to brake for it. A front brake would help me a lot, but i cant get it to work, and i'm still improving without it.

Im thinking of selling my Porter (I have Cam Zinks Felt Compulsion that i like for slopestyle... if i ever need it) and building up a Slayer SS with a burly ass build. X-Fusion Vector air and Vengeance air... that kinda goodness. then i'll take that to college and use it for everything. it jumps better than my m1 and DHs better than my porter, and i'll make it work.

I know the compulsion isnt a Slopestyle bike, but with the lowered shock the cockpit is tighter than on my compulsion, so i can grab the seat with my knees better, and its more flickable. it also has a shorter wheelbase than my porter, the same head angle, and the same BB height.

SMT, how do you know how slow i am? BLah blah I'm an idiot whatever, im used to the jank, but how can you judge me based on a front brake? Smurf said you were an arrogant prick, and i defended you, but now i'm seeing it.

Norcoshore1, thanks for the advice. thats not the kind of bike I'm looking for, so i'll avoid it.

Dbabuser, I had a Risse Champ up there, sold it and the mount (specific mount), bought my 40 and a new mount, and that didnt fit. The front brake is bled and ready to rock, its just the mount....

darkzeon, whenever i give advice on what bikes other should buy, i almost always say "thats what i would do in your situation..." saying that its just what i would do, and not what could be best for them. I will stop giving advice on bikes to others until i get my **** sorted out. sorry.

sorry bout the gay ass "what bike" threads. I thought it would be good to seek your advice before making a $1000+ purchase.

I'm sorry if these comes across as sarcastic to you. It isnt intended to do so. Craigstr, sorry again. i really mean it. i was sooooooper pissy after my SAT. i take full responsbility for being a *****.

Darkzeon, you are right. i cant tell others what bikes to buy if i cant figure it out myself. I pondered your statement deeply while i was riding today.

and i cute picture to finish it off!
    Name:  kittenz.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  34.8 KB

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by burgundy snake View Post
    Your bike is rad, and very capable, just watch some old vids of Palmer! With a tuned shock from Avy, the problem as others have pointed out, is not the bike; it's your style. If you watch the best riders, they are low in the attack position, bent forward, arms wide, weight neurtal. This is only possible using the front brake for a majority of the braking force, with propper balance and modulation with the rear. Look at Peat's rear rotor compared to his front, that should tell you what he uses most.

The demo has an extra linkage to minimize the brake jack effect of the FSR suspsension. Your M1 is suseptible to brake jack and why under hard braking the suspension feels stiff, harsh, and non compliant.

Im.
    ummmm wrong...they are the same designs...both bikes react the same way in braking conditions...the "extra linkage" as you call it ,...is there to make back end stiffer in side to side loads (turning)

Glad to Be Alive
    SMT, how do you know how slow i am? BLah blah I'm an idiot whatever, im used to the jank, but how can you judge me based on a front brake? Smurf said you were an arrogant prick, and i defended you, but now i'm seeing it.

H]

strait up...you can't go fast and CONTROL a bike without a front brake period...so you are riding handicapped.

furthermore, Yeah I was being harsh, but I thought we went over this a month or two months ago about a front brake...plus just using your back brake you tend to skid and lock your suspension up (harsher rides)...... to compensate you have to ride slower...YOUR FRONT BRAKE IS THAT IMPORTANT

also I would recommend taking your back brake off to stop your bad habits of using the back brake so much

you need a heavier spring in the rear....did you bend the bolt that goes through the shock hardware yet?? usually those bend on the older bikes if you have too soft of a spring.

and being called arrogant from papasmurf is more like a compliment

my apologies to you about calling you an idiot but I was frustrated over you bringing this front brake topic back up after 1 or 2 months...that should have been dealt with already....my suggestion ...call the fork manufacture and tell them what adapter you need...tell them you bought 2 so far....be very nice and they might send you one for free or ask for grassroot price because you already bought 2 so far....just be very kind, respectful, polite...just tell them ever little bit helps

the Intense M-1 is a great bike....Great suspension, head angles everything...the only reason Intense stopped making them was they were tired of paying Specialized on the FSR patent and they bought the VPP rights with Santa Cruz.

But honestly I feel the FSR is the best suspension that I have ever rode (never rode the treks)...I can feel the brake jack/squat on M-3's, 6's, 9's and 951's...you just learn to brake different to get around it...you have a great bike moosey...don't sell it short

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Hey Moosey, have you looked at the Scott Voltage FR? 130mm-180mm rear travel ability, can take single or dual crowns with no issues and 3 different chainstay lengths. You could rock the DH, AM or Slopestyle on this bad boy. Love mine.

I would have recommended this bike a week ago but after today no way....the rear flexes so much...hold the bike off to the side of you and push the tire one way and then the other and the drive side flexes a lot...it is sickening...and I did it on two bikes...unbelievable wet noodle

mtbr member
    Apology accepted Moosey (almost called you PapaSmurf).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    also I would recommend taking your back brake off to stop your bad habits of using the back brake so much
    This is scary to do when you have used the back brake for fear of endo'ing from a small kid, but it does help a lot, even if it is scary to do on some local dh trails. I fried my rear rotor and decided to take SMT's idea of only using the front brake and did so for a good 3 months (I was short on cash to fix the rear break anyways...college budget) and improved my braking a lot and now I grab front break unless I need to lock up the rear on some hairpin turns, which I probably don't need to but its fun to do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Agreed. Having the same issue with my Ransom..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would have recommended this bike a week ago but after today no way....the rear flexes so much...hold the bike off to the side of you and push the tire one way and then the other and the drive side flexes a lot...it is sickening...and I did it on two bikes...unbelievable wet noodle
    With 7 inches of vertical travel, I certainly can't notice a little sideways flex (1/4 to 1/2 inch max), especially with tire and wheel deflection on top of that.

SamIAm
    Quote Originally Posted by m3t4w0rm View Post
    This is scary to do when you have used the back brake for fear of endo'ing from a small kid, but it does help a lot, even if it is scary to do on some local dh trails. I fried my rear rotor and decided to take SMT's idea of only using the front brake and did so for a good 3 months (I was short on cash to fix the rear break anyways...college budget) and improved my braking a lot and now I grab front break unless I need to lock up the rear on some hairpin turns, which I probably don't need to but its fun to do.

if i could only have 1 brake. itd be a front.

i think everyone should try front brake only for awhile. it teaches you that you cant brake and turn at the same time. cant drag your front brake hard through a corner without the rear one to keep it steady.

front is for stopping
    rear is for steering
    done
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Come at me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by name_dropper View Post
    With 7 inches of vertical travel, I certainly can't notice a little sideways flex (1/4 to 1/2 inch max), especially with tire and wheel deflection on top of that.
    have to agree w/ SMT.

if you cant feel the flex then you arent riding it hard enough. 160lb, not a hack, and i can feel and see the rear tri flex. tire marks on my rear tri also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ummmm wrong...they are the same designs...both bikes react the same way in braking conditions...the "extra linkage" as you call it ,...is there to make back end stiffer in side to side loads (turning)
    The M1 and Demo use the same fundamental suspension design, the FSR (which is really a derivation of Leitnerís Horst Link), however pivot placement makes a HUGE difference. The "extra linkage" I cited was a reference to the unified lower triangle. The purpose of this triangle is to allow the shock to be decoupled from the upper linkage. This allows a reduction in the upper pivot brake vector offset, minimizing the moment arm, thus reducing brake induced effects on the suspension. The demo optimizes the FSR design by positioning the pivot line (during suspension compression) between the preloaded and unloaded condition throughout active travel. To claim that the purpose of the lower unified triangle is to increase lateral stiffness is deceiving and sounds like marketing. The only pivot point created by the unified triangle is at the shock eye. The logic that the purpose of the secondary linkage in the unified triangle is to stiffen the rear would require that the sock pin will support lateral flex and remain active through its travel. This is BS.

mtbr member
    My big thing is what's your budget? If you rode a 2011 Demo 8 and loved it wouldn't it be a good idea to try and get yourself on one of them? Any of the other options you've mentinoed are different bikes that ride completely different compared to the D-8 (at least the 2011 version). The other thing to keep in mind about it, it's a dh race bike. It's not really going to be all that poppy and good for doing tricks and stuff. While you can ride big jumps and do whips and all that the bike is primarily for going fast and winning races. If tricks are your thing then you might want to look at something a bit less dh race oriented. While I don't have the exact answer for you as far as which bike will work I can really only say try as much as you can before you buy. Used is great (and the 2010 Demo 8 has identical geo's to the 2011 and the frame is almost identical in weight).

As far as college goes... Don't pick colleges solely on the riding that it has. Pick colleges that are good schools and have good programs that you want to get into. With that in mind there are also a lot of schools that have excellent riding around them. If dh is your thing, University of Boulder is pretty big. Chico state has a more than impressive mtb team with lots of ridiculous dh trails in the area (as does Cal Poly SLO). Just about any college in Oregon is going to have killer riding nearby. And if you went to college in Washington I'd reccomend looking at Bellingham. It's cold and wet a lot of the year up there but theres Galbraith mtn. and Whistler is just a couple hours away (Transition Bikes is located near there too).
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you end up in the Seattle area, Stevens Pass just opened their first lift serviced DH trails last weekend. Only 2 trails right now that still need work, but they're hoping for 7-10 trails open next summer I believe. This is probably about 1.5 hours away from Seattle. Also, if you're willing to drive 30-60 minutes there's some big freeride areas where you could rock a DH bike. Not to mention that Whistler is like 4-5 hours away. Anyway, plenty of options up there if you're willing to drive a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    lots of great info
    That was a great and insightful post.

To add, this thread is a prime example of the problems with the rep system. Plenty of input from well respected and experienced dh mtbr members, yet the person with all the green chiclets is the OP. Go figure....
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    That was a great and insightful post.

To add, this thread is a prime example of the problems with the rep system. Plenty of input from well respected and experienced dh mtbr members, yet the person with all the green chiclets is the OP. Go figure....
    Lol I wasnt aware there was even a rep system I figured it was from constantly rambling then I saw smt had 2 so that blew that theory out.

Just kidding B.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drastic. View Post
    have to agree w/ SMT.

if you cant feel the flex then you arent riding it hard enough. 160lb, not a hack, and i can feel and see the rear tri flex. tire marks on my rear tri also.
    i wasn't denying that there is flex back there if you push/pull the wheel perpendicular to the travel direction. i was just saying that i never felt it while riding, although i ride a lot of rocky/chundery crap so maybe i'm just not paying attention to that point. def dont have any tire marks on my seat/chain stays. that does NOT sound good! i did hear of some bikes that had loose bushing/pivot hardware from the factory, but that would be pretty obvious. i guess it just depends on how much flex you're willing to deal with. is it flexing while sideways in berms? does the rear end push/plow?

Moose Member
    okay, so i can get a 2010 rocky Mountain Slayer SS, a 2009 Intense Slopestyle, or a 2009 Kona Stinky.

The Stinky is about $1000-$1200

the other two are $1400

are any of these good deals?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Depending on how beat up the Intense that's a decent deal considering just the frame is $2500 or so, I also have a soft spot for Intense bikes. But, just check over the frame real well before laying down cash.

The stinky would be pretty indestructible though, considering my 2009 Stinky6 has been through hell a few times.

Rock Mt no idea.

mtbr member
    okay, so i can get a 2010 rocky Mountain Slayer SS, a 2009 Intense Slopestyle, or a 2009 Kona Stinky.

The Stinky is about $1000-$1200

the other two are $1400

are any of these good deals?
    Out of all those I'd pick the SS from Intense. Those bikes have a reputation for being pretty awesome. But the thing that still irks me a bit is that you started your post saying you want a full blown modern dh bike with current geo's but that you're looking to buy the complete opposite. Seriously man, a SS isn't going to ride anything like a dh bike, it WILL ride like a more plush and slack trail bike. So if that's what you're after then go for it.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    IMO Intense suck just saying coming from a Canfield owner. Truth hurts!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If I only had one of my bicycle brakes, it will be front, rear. A new bike, you will improve the M1, but IMO, unless you take the elevator, every week there is a big bike, your bike is not the only meaning.