Another TIre Thread- Mtbr.com
    Bottlerockin'

Another TIre Thread

sorry guys...but i didnt have the heart to hijack the other thread.

anyways...i live in the northeast and need a good cornering, overall gripping, beast freeride tire.

i have a few options...
    i can buy a replacement maxxis advantage tire (destroyed my first--> a little skeptical now )
    or
    ive been looking at kenda nevegals (2.5s)
    (plus anythign you guys have to say)

i ride in almost every condition at times...but mostly freeride with jumps/drops/etc. oh and
    i need to order tire(s) relatively soon as im running a 2.4 in the front and 2.5 in the rear at the moment and it feels off

what are your experiences with the nevegals? and any other recommendations?

Thread Terrorist
    Nevegals are the worst. Anything but those.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure

what an asinine blanket statement to make

The nevegal is a great all around tire. it's super-wide for it's claimed widths (2.5 looks like a 2.7) It rolls like a nightmare (wide lugs & spacing) but it always chews through, while it cleans itself of muck quite well

I think it makes a phenomenal front tire, and a pretty good rear tire. It loses points for it's chunky roll resistance

a bigger tire on the rear than your front would feel odd indeed.

I have a 2.6 gazzi front and 2.35 minion DHR. I think I'll go with the triple-compound 2.5 Minion when the last of my 2.35 wears down

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Gazzalodis WORK. It may lack the ultimate grip of some tires (Gazzalodis are hard compound) , but it's dependable.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    Gazzalodis WORK. It may lack the ultimate grip of some tires (Gazzalodis are hard compound) , but it's dependable.

I got a brand new gazzi & a FR tube for $25 and I am blown away at how well it preforms.

it's only drawback has been in the hard rain we've had here lately. The alkaline clay here turns to axle grease. it's small face-knobs couldn't clear it.

Glad to Be Alive
    minion front highroller rear

or Michelin 24 AT front and back or use it with a 32AT in front
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    I got a brand new gazzi & a FR tube for $25 and I am blown away at how well it preforms.

it's only drawback has been in the hard rain we've had here lately. The alkaline clay here turns to axle grease. it's small face-knobs couldn't clear it.
    Yeah, its has also started raining here in my place, and Gazzas are at best, satisfactory in wet conditions...

Oh and BTW, the road where I practice on is nothing but sharp rocks and fallen leaves. My arms and legs feel numb after the run after a few hours, because I am on a hardtail. I'll go up again, probably in the weekend, to try it out in wet rocks and leaves.

I am also in a 2.6, but it is also a good huck tire like the 3.0, I don't feel a thing during my landings, from a measly 3-4 feet... I'm still a beginner to these hucking things anyway. (just did my first huck last April)
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Bike Ninja |||
    specialized S-Works Pin'it 2.5 f/r. great all around tire, save for deep mud, they clean well however. Awesome for dry conditions, ultra grippy, hook up on north shore like none other.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I pray to god you are being sarcastic....

They are worlds above anything any other company has to offer but Maxxis. I choose to run the Nevegals 2.5 Dual Ply because they grip to everything, roll pretty fast, corner well, and have a insane amount of traction.

I give you, the WTF? of the day.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

moaaar shimz
    Minions are the shiz, they corner like a rat on speed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, its has also started raining here in my place, and Gazzas are at best, satisfactory in wet conditions...

Oh and BTW, the road where I practice on is nothing but sharp rocks and fallen leaves. My arms and legs feel numb after the run after a few hours, because I am on a hardtail. I'll go up again, probably in the weekend, to try it out in wet rocks and leaves.

I am also in a 2.6, but it is also a good huck tire like the 3.0, I don't feel a thing during my landings, from a measly 3-4 feet... I'm still a beginner to these hucking things anyway. (just did my first huck last April)
    There are some soft compound Gazzis - I have a "gumwall" Jr. 2.6 and it is softer than the DH version. On their website they are listing more new models too (single ply, soft compounds etc).

Bottlerockin'
    thanks guys...im actually leaning towards the Michilen 24AT's now....
    appreciate what yall have said

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    There are some soft compound Gazzis - I have a "gumwall" Jr. 2.6 and it is softer than the DH version. On their website they are listing more new models too (single ply, soft compounds etc).

You might be talking about the Gazza North Shore, which is essentially the original Nokian Gazzalodi.

The soft compound tires are most likely the Gazzaloddi G, or the M+S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You might be talking about the Gazza North Shore, which is essentially the original Nokian Gazzalodi.

The soft compound tires are most likely the Gazzaloddi G, or the M+S.
    yeah, I just checked the website and the North Shore is described with a gumwall casing and 50/60a tread compound.

I also have a Dual 2.6, which will be my "AM" front tire for loose conditions.

What looks good - the new "Gazz All Mountain", essentially an NBX, but now available in 2.5 with kevlar bead. I've been loving the NBX 2.3 on the front of my XC/Trailbike, but it's not very big, and I'd like a bit more volume, cool.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    yeah, I just checked the website and the North Shore is described with a gumwall casing and 50/60a tread compound.

I also have a Dual 2.6, which will be my "AM" front tire for loose conditions.

What looks good - the new "Gazz All Mountain", essentially an NBX, but now available in 2.5 with kevlar bead. I've been loving the NBX 2.3 on the front of my XC/Trailbike, but it's not very big, and I'd like a bit more volume, cool.
    You are going to put the NBX 2.5 up front? Sounds good, and the Dual is only offered with 2.3 .

And another thing, why did Nokian bike tires changed its name to THREE separate brands? I think it is far simpler to stick with what they had...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My answer would be Minions, Minions or MInions, and if not Minions use a Nevegal but only dual ply unless you like repairing puncture's, oh and only the stick-e if you want really good grip. The super tacky or 3C are the way to go on Maxxis, i am not a beliver in jepodising grip to save a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My favorite for dry to light muddy Maxxis Minnion F front and rear
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You are going to put the NBX 2.5 up front? Sounds good, and the Dual is only offered with 2.3 .

And another thing, why did Nokian bike tires changed its name to THREE separate brands? I think it is far simpler to stick with what they had...
    Maybe they don't list a Dual 2.6 on the website, but I definitely have one. It has a Gazza tread, wire bead, single ply sidewalls, and "Gazza Dual" 26x2.6 on the sidewall. Bow Cycle cleared out a bunch earlier this spring, but I'm not sure if they were OEM or not.

mtbr member

One seriously good tire that's been skipped is.

...the Bontrager Big Earl. It's not a race tire, but it completely blows EVERY OTHER TIRE out of the water in wet, slick, rooty conditions. If you ride in BC or N.E. Coast type conditions it will be hard to beat. It's simply the absolute best nasty condition tire on the market.

Let's put this in perspective: we build really high end bikes. Yet, Bontrager is owned by Trek. So, it would be really, REALLY hard for me to recommend this tire if I didn't fully believe in it.

And, when I say I would put this up against anything on the market, I'm not talking cheaper OEM tires, but top tires from major companies: Minnion 3Cs, Michis, Nevegals, , etc... For a general free ride tire, I have found nothing stickier on wet roots, rock and in general mulchy terrain that packs up tires like Minnions badly (the Minnion's weak spot in my opinion).

The Big Earl's only weakness is in clay type mud (the stuff that's like semi-firm butter): something a bit harder with smaller knobs that can penetrate would be better.

Down sides to the Bontys? Well, they wear fairly fast if you like to skid, they don't roll the fastest and I wouldn't put them at the top of the DH race tires because they probably don't drift as predictably as the best DH tires. But, for an overall general free ride tire they work very, very well and are cost effective to boot.

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Can I Borrow Some Style?
    I run the Michelin DH 32 A/T 2.8" in the front and the Nevegal 2.5 in the rear. They corner extremely well!! I am never scared to lean in and hold a line on that combo. On the other hand, rolling friction is VERY high. Pedaling the streets or just pedaling flatspots in general sucks. They are both very sticky tires (especially the Michelin). I would highly recommend the Nevegals for all around tires. They are way dependable and shed mud well.
    Passion is what we all need, the rest is secondary.
    Yeah I ride fixed on occasion, get over it.

Members who have read this thread: 0