Another Code thread - pad replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Another Code thread - pad replacement

i'm starting another code thread since I just replaced the pads for the first time and I have a couple of questions....

first off, the little " X clip" that holds the pads in place was a problem for me. I lined up the pads on the clip, squeezed them together like the instructions said, then TRIED to insert everything together into the caliper as a single unit.

I found it hard to get everything lined up. I eventually heard the "click" after a bunch of tries but I think my pistons are sticking out too much because my wheels barely spin now.

So...
    is there a "cheat" way to do this (i.e. one pad at a time?)
    A screwdriver did not do the job at pushing the pistons back in. Is there a better way to do this? should mineral oil be used?

OR: should I just take a couple of runs DH and let them wear a bit?

thanks as always....

-> SickLines.com <-
    the red pad doubles as a pad spacer doubles as an insertion tool. I dind't have any problems using it and the pads settling in. Then take it out and insert the spacer to push the pads/pistons all the way back.

https://www.sicklines.com/reviews/2007-avid-code/

mtbr member

red pad...

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    the red pad doubles as a pad spacer doubles as an insertion tool. I dind't have any problems using it and the pads settling in. Then take it out and insert the spacer to push the pads/pistons all the way back.

I had no idea the red spacer was an insertion tool!
    I have to go find the box and try it out.

Perhaps my pistons are fine, but my manual attempt to place the pads in the caliper was off?

Is the red pad "idiot proof"

thanks for the help!

Some Assembly Required
    How long did your pads last? I just put a set of Codes on my VP Free the other week an' was wonderin' how long the pads would last. With my old Juicy 7's I had to dial the pad contact all the way out and press the lever a few times to be able to push the pads in. Even then I had to push the caliper open w/a screwdriver. A good point here is push them open with the old pads still in there, that way you don't booger up the pistons on these expensive brakes. Are you replacing the old ones w/the metal pads or the stock version?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the pads you get from Avid w/ the brake set seems to last a lot longer than the ones you get after wards, it did on my old mechs & my 7's anyways.
    I haven't had to use it yet but th' red spacer/pad inserter is a blessing if it works.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member

pad life

Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    How long did your pads last? I just put a set of Codes on my VP Free the other week an' was wonderin' how long the pads would last. With my old Juicy 7's I had to dial the pad contact all the way out and press the lever a few times to be able to push the pads in. Even then I had to push the caliper open w/a screwdriver. A good point here is push them open with the old pads still in there, that way you don't booger up the pistons on these expensive brakes. Are you replacing the old ones w/the metal pads or the stock version?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the pads you get from Avid w/ the brake set seems to last a lot longer than the ones you get after wards, it did on my old mechs & my 7's anyways.
    I haven't had to use it yet but th' red spacer/pad inserter is a blessing if it works.
    my stock code pads lasted approximately 5 days of DH shuttling. I'm talking around 4 solid hours of continuous DH each day.

I did the screwdriver trick on the pistons...but it really didn't seem to move much, that's why I asked if I should use a drop of mineral oil....but I've decided not to pursue this path.

I could probably get another day out of the pads, but I don't want to have to change them during a ride.

I just bought the "organic" compound because it says they last longer than the sintered pads (which have better braking power).

I figure with 4 pistons, why bother with the sintered?

We'll see how long these last.

I seem to remember last year that my crappy Hayes nine pads lasted WAY longer....

But then again....the Codes are soooooo much nicer.

I'll be busting out the red insertion tool tonight.

I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You have too much fluid in the system, so the new pads won't fit. You need to unscrew the bleed screw on the lever and THEN push a flathead between the old pads to spread the pistons apart.

This happens because you bled your brakes with half worn pads, which allows extra fluid in the system.

mtbr member

not true

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    You have too much fluid in the system, so the new pads won't fit. You need to unscrew the bleed screw on the lever and THEN push a flathead between the old pads to spread the pistons apart.

This happens because you bled your brakes with half worn pads, which allows extra fluid in the system.

I never bled the brakes. They were pre-bled when I bought them.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    I had no idea the red spacer was an insertion tool!
    I have to go find the box and try it out.

Perhaps my pistons are fine, but my manual attempt to place the pads in the caliper was off?

Is the red pad "idiot proof"

thanks for the help!
    It sure makes your life easier

when I found that out, I had to go read the instructions again, and it didn't mention it in threre anywhere I could find

dontcha?
    My pads are still going strong I've shuttling/resort riding since early spring.. I gotta see if I can find those red spacers I might have chucked them :banghead:
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding
    My pads are still going strong I've shuttling/resort riding since early spring. I gotta see if I can find those red spacers I might have chucked them :banghead:
    I always keep at least one in my Camelbak in case somethin' crazy happens.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member

instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    It sure makes your life easier

when I found that out, I had to go read the instructions again, and it didn't mention it in threre anywhere I could find

yeah...I did the same thing. NOTHING about using the red piece to insert the pads.

mtbr member

remove caliper

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker

I forgot to ask earlier...

Do you guys remove the calipers from the mounts for easier access when putting new pads in?
    or do you turn the bike upside down like me?
    I know it's probably not the best idea...but I find it easier than working on it in the stand.
    thanks.

Some Assembly Required

Do you guys remove the calipers from the mounts for easier access when putting new pads in?
    I know it's probably not the best idea...but I find it easier than working on it in the stand.
    thanks.

I always turned my bike upside down when doin' my 7's. I would then put a rubberband around the h-bar and the lever to let any air that may have gone to the caliper move to the master cylinder in the lever, old moto trick. If you got mushy brakes and no time to bleed them this helps, best if left over night.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I never bled the brakes. They were pre-bled when I bought them.
    Doesn't matter. This is still the answer to your problem.

-> SickLines.com <-

thanks.
    I usually don't remove the caliper personally unless it interferes significantly with the insertion/removal process. My park stand can tilt the bike pretty good, so i typically don't turn it upside down completely.

Members who have read this thread: 0