Aniki Upgraded - PICS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Aniki Upgraded - PICS

I started a thread a while ago about upgrading my aniki, but I got too caught up with work and classes to really get around to it. Last week I ordered a 203mm juciy5's (front and rear) gravity light 175mm crankset + dmr v8 pedals from go-ride. Didn't get around to installing them till today because I didn't have the required tools. I've taken the suggestion of some(maybe alot of people here) and decieded not to go with a outrageous front fork(as a pogo stick would work better in place of the stock one ) . Everything was pretty easy and self explanitory to install. I never took apart anything aside from a 20" (when I was a kid), thought this was going to be very difficult .. it was not. The hardest part was getting that damn right crank off ( my crank puller is still stuck on that crank )

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I want to upgrade the fork. But I don't want to go overboard ... I was thinking of going with a Z1 (which would be perfect for me) but they don't make them anymore, I think that a 66 maybe a bit overkill. I don't really want anything with over 170mm of travel.

Capricious youth...
    Older 66 RC2X with travel adjust?

Drop it down to 150. It'll be heavier, but more stable and solid.
    Meh.

sixsixtysix
    55R for the fork?

Pretty inexpensive, 140 or 160mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    55R for the fork?

Pretty inexpensive, 140 or 160mm of travel.
    I was looking at those, marz advertises them as 140mm max travel i thought.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/172...ro-Headset.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I 'd be willing to spend the cash on the RC2x, as long as it does not ruin my bikes suspension geometry

When in doubt, go faster
    I rock the travis single 180 and it is perfect for this bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah for $200 you can't beat the 55r.

_
    you spent all the money to upgrade the brakes and crank while that front and rear suspension was still on your bike? that doesn't make much sense to me...

I'd go with a 55, 66, or a fox float 36r if you can afford one. Don't worry about the geo too much. it'll just slacken the headtube out a little and make it a bit more sturdy on the steep stuff. plus with a longer travel fork you'll have more sag.

i'd go dhx air in the back too. or, i mean coil if you'd rather.

dirt visionary
    I would change the rear shock as it only gives you 5.5" travel . I mean look at that shock stroke compared to eye to eye. Thats was an earlier model where the rear shock actually limits your travel not allowing the advertised travel. Trust me I know. I bought on for a riding buddy just so he had something better than a walmart bike to ride.

BTW a 66rc2x cost more than the whole bike unless you got hosed.I got the aniki for $569 brand spanking new from an online shop.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slothoncanvas
    you spent all the money to upgrade the brakes and crank while that front and rear suspension was still on your bike? that doesn't make much sense to me...

I'd go with a 55, 66, or a fox float 36r if you can afford one. Don't worry about the geo too much. it'll just slacken the headtube out a little and make it a bit more sturdy on the steep stuff. plus with a longer travel fork you'll have more sag.

i'd go dhx air in the back too. or, i mean coil if you'd rather.
    Well I broke one of the crank arms already (so I figured I would upgrade). And the brakes were becoming really annoying (constant adjustments and embarrassing grinding sound). I haven't been able to find a single 55 that has had a advertised 150mm+ of travel. I would prefer to keep my fork budget under $700 bucks. I haven't even began to think about the rear much yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    I would change the rear shock as it only gives you 5.5" travel . I mean look at that shock stroke compared to eye to eye. Thats was an earlier model where the rear shock actually limits your travel not allowing the advertised travel. Trust me I know. I bought on for a riding buddy just so he had something better than a walmart bike to ride.

BTW a 66rc2x cost more than the whole bike unless you got hosed.I got the aniki for $569 brand spanking new from an online shop.
    I bought my bike back in 06 for $750 (new ofcourse). I already have cash set aside for a complete different bike. I think i'd like to build up more riding skill before I upgrade to a $2.5k+ bike though. I do plan on upgrading the rear as well, just not very aware of what will work well/fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    don't waste the money upgrading that frame. you are much better off buying a better bike and learning on that better bike. The bike does not make the rider, the rider makes the bike. Plus when you buy a fully specced frame its comes with better parts and the overall build is usually much cheaper than buying the parts seperately.

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    Just sack up and buy a 66. Its the best thing I did to my ojiki. Now I can do this

dirt visionary
    Go to the ironhorse forum and look for the aniki owners thread you will find the info on the rear shock in that thread. If I recall right a 9.0 x 2.5 is stock on 06 and 8.75x2.5. You canicrease the travel from 5.5 upto true 6 or 7" by changing the stroke length. I would get a 9x3 shock for it .

_
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralicea
    don't waste the money upgrading that frame. you are much better off buying a better bike and learning on that better bike.
    What?!

Aniki frames are solid. Great frames to upgrade. there are tons of people that slowly upgrade it and it turns into an extremely capable, solid bike.

definately worth it to upgrade that frame. definately. yeah and i really really recommend upgrading both front and rear suspension as the next things you do.

Some fork options

here's that 160mm 55 $500
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...5+Tst2+08.aspx

180mm 66 $700
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/173...180mm-2007.htm

115-160mm Domain $530
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...U-Turn+07.aspx

dirt visionary
    Soild .......Ha thats funny. My buddy removed the paintjob on the aniki I bought him and he found bondo on the top tube. Also within the first month the rear swing arm had play in it . Many people have had issues with the rear bushings/bearings on this frame. To solve the issue we had to mil some washers to take up the slack . Another bad thing is the rear piviot is a small thin bolt that runs thru the rear swing arm and bearings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    go used man

surf around the forums, shouldnt be too tough to upgrade the front and rear for the price of a brand new fork..

_
    hey and when you upgrade your rear shock. do not get a 3.0 stroke. that'll increase the travel too much and the tire may hit the frame when it blows through the travel. the biggest you should go is 2.75. that's what the ojiki's are spec'd with and it increases the travel to 7inches. but the actual shock spec for your 06 aniki is 9.0x2.5. which is a hard size to find so you can just go 8.75x2.5. or again 8.75x2.75 if you wanna get your full 7 inches of travel instead of the 6 that's stock.

_
    Soild .......Ha thats funny. My buddy removed the paintjob on the aniki I bought him and he found bondo on the top tube. Also within the first month the rear swing arm had play in it . Many people have had issues with the rear bushings/bearings on this frame. To solve the issue we had to mil some washers to take up the slack . Another bad thing is the rear piviot is a small thin bolt that runs thru the rear swing arm and bearings.
    yeah and because yours had "bondo" on the top tube that it means that every single aniki is a piece of shhit and exactly like that right?

...come on.

but, yeah unfortunately it is relatively common for the bushings to wear out quickly. you just have to replace them after that.

dirt visionary
    Name another brand where someone reported finding bondo on their frame under the paint job . Also if its such a great bike why did ironhorse drop it. As a matter of fact they dropped the whole yakuza line. I have no desire to ride a sloppy single pivot. On the other hand my buddy who can't afford a better bike has beat it up pretty good. Ever part has almost been replaced now while the frame is still strong. However he is to the point where he hates the thing enough where it has affected his riding and can't wait to get a new bike. But I blame that partially on myself and another buddy for letting him ride our bikes.

Bike is great for a beginner but for a serious freerider it just doesn't cut it. BTW a 8.75 x 8.75 will also hit the seat post just like a 9x 3.0 shock stoke. The key is to have it set up so you don't bottom out. My buddy is running a swinger 6way 8.75 x8.75 and it hits at full compression. But a 24" rear wheel would fix that and slacken it out a bit to make it more DH friendly however he is still running a 26".

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH

Name another brand where someone reported finding bondo on their frame under the paint job . Also if its such a great bike why did ironhorse drop it. As a matter of fact they dropped the whole yakuza line. I have no desire to ride a sloppy single pivot. On the other hand my buddy who can't afford a better bike has beat it up pretty good. Ever part has almost been replaced now while the frame is still strong. However he is to the point where he hates the thing enough where it has affected his riding and can't wait to get a new bike. But I blame that partially on myself and another buddy for letting him ride our bikes.

Bike is great for a beginner but for a serious freerider it just doesn't cut it. BTW a 8.75 x 8.75 will also hit the seat post just like a 9x 3.0 shock stoke. The key is to have it set up so you don't bottom out. My buddy is running a swinger 6way 8.75 x8.75 and it hits at full compression. But a 24" rear wheel would fix that and slacken it out a bit to make it more DH friendly however he is still running a 26".
    errr so which is it? Sh1t or a good bike? apparently even with bondo on the top tube its still kickin??? I smell an elitist hypocrit with your fancy specialed. perhaps you have buyers remorse for spending 2 to 3 times more on your bike than what your buddies is worth....is he better than you? maybe he should post up and straighten you out. If he saw fit to upgrade everything couldnt he have just bought a better bike instead? why then did he upgrade it?

And regarding dropping the line....thats Ironhorses decision to make based on what they want their company to be. Many fine companies have come and gone and dropped product lines along the way. that doesnt mean their products are deficient. So what is it that really bothers you about this whole thing?

dirt visionary
    Ya alright I wanna trade my 2008 sxtrail for an aniki. that is the funniest sh!t I have heard. Its a good bike for a broke beginner or someone who is not sure if they are gong to stick with freeriding. Hell my brakes cost more than the whole bike and the only reason he has it is because I bought it for him as he was riding a wally world mongoose and I felt it was time for him to get on a better bike.

BTW I upgraded his bike for him as he would not ride anymore because he was sick of it , he hated the fork and blamed it for almost every crash he has been in . I bought him hydro brakes, bars, stem,seat,pedals, fork and rear shock . This has been to keep him riding with us . I am also looking to buy him a new frame to replace his with as he is ready for a better ride and I am in the position to help.

_
    ...man. can someone please jump in and say how much they love their Aniki? there are whole threads with guys that have upgraded theirs and love it and go huge on it.

!sdrawkcab kcusuoy aH
    Ya alright I wanna trade my 2008 sxtrail for an aniki. that is the funniest sh!t I have heard. Its a good bike for a broke beginner or someone who is not sure if they are gong to stick with freeriding. Hell my brakes cost more than the whole bike and the only reason he has it is because I bought it for him as he was riding a wally world mongoose and I felt it was time for him to get on a better bike.

BTW I upgraded his bike for him as he would not ride anymore because he was sick of it , he hated the fork and blamed it for almost every crash he has been in . I bought him hydro brakes, bars, stem,seat,pedals, fork and rear shock . This has been to keep him riding with us . I am also looking to buy him a new frame to replace his with as he is ready for a better ride and I am in the position to help.

Read my post again first you made a comment suggesting that it is junk "solid....ha thats funny" then you stated: "On the other hand my buddy who can't afford a better bike has beat it up pretty good. Ever part has almost been replaced now while the frame is still strong"

so which is it?

Quoted above in bold you state that you replaced everything on it...none of which has Ironhorses' name on it. So where do you get off placing the blame on Ironhorse? They didnt make those inferior parts.

Btw its nice that you help your friend out and you should smack if he *****es about having poor components on a bike thats not his......

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I really love my bike. I beat the piss out of it for two years and never had to replace a thing (until the crank incident recently) out of a part failure. I don't think it's the best bike ever made, but you get a decent bike for what you pay. The way I see it, even if you do upgrade the **** out of it, you can always opt to replace the frame (if you ever do manage to break it/outgrow it, or just want something differenet). Everytime I post anything about my bike, it has to turn into a huge grudge match around here.

Members who have read this thread: 0