American BB and cranks???- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194

    American BB and cranks???

    For a Banshee Scratch, which uses an American BB, what type of cranks and BB should I get. They need to be good but if new, not expensive, but throw all ideas out there incase I decide to buy used.

  2. #2
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    Are you saying American BB as in the country or the brand like American Classic? Just curious for clarification.

  3. #3
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Ummm American Size Bottom Bracket like a BMX Bottom Bracket I think...

  4. #4
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    Ah yes...like a Profile setup.

  5. #5
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Ah yes...like a Profile setup.
    Yes indeed, but is there anything cheaper???

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25
    Check out www.danscompetition.com Lots of american BB cranks there.

    REDLINE FLITE 2 cranks are good and are only 99 bucks.

  7. #7
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    So will any american/bx bb work on a Banshee Scratch?

  8. #8
    I bike long tyme.
    Reputation: Secace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,106
    Good recommendation Serge!! Dan's Comp rocks!!
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

  9. #9
    I bike long tyme.
    Reputation: Secace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,106
    DH Biker, I'd call Dan's and ask their tech guy. He might not know anything about Banshees but he'll know everything there is about crank/bb/bashguard/guide compatibilities and the measurements involved. As long as you have the banshee bb measurement requirements, he ought to be able to set you up.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

  10. #10
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    I haven't the slightest idea on the measurements though or even if I e-mail bnahsee, what measurments to ask for.

  11. #11
    Sedona, Az USA
    Reputation: M1_joel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,036
    i dont know anything about a cheap route but here is my BMX BB solution:

    Profile Evolution BB
    Profile 6.25" spindle
    Profile 170mm arms
    Profile Spyder
    Blackspire KM-1 chainguide




  12. #12
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    If you don't want to run a BMX bb/cranks, you can get the BB cup adaptors which will allow you to run euro bottom brackets.

  13. #13
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    I really like the feel in the stiffness of BMX cranks... such as the ones on BMX bikes and I have heard the same about having them on mountain bikes and that they feel great.

  14. #14
    -arschloch-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    867
    profile BMX cranks are about $150 at DANSCOMP. i am a total hack and i cant kill my profiles...
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    952
    You can not go wrong with Profiles, plus the BMX BB one can be had for $150 brand new.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

  16. #16
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Expensive (for me anyways)... but if I got them, would there be a specific way to go about what type of chainrings to get?


    Any other suggestions on the matter?

  17. #17
    I bike long tyme.
    Reputation: Secace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,106
    You could either run any number of available bmx chainwheels (there are a ton and some killer designs) or I know Profile also makes a "spider" conversion (like $23.00) that will allow the bmx crank to mimic a conventional mtb crank by connecting the crank to the chainwheel by a typical 5 bolt pattern instead of the single tab method. Either way, you're still depending on that single tab to transfer the power/absorb shock cause that's what locks the spider into place. That's in no way a bad thing cause there are a ton of bmx crank setups that are bombproof. I've heard of very few ever failing. My Haro Group 1 bmx race bike has a Truvativ spider setup on it and its stout. Bmx cranks are trick man!! I'd have no reservations about running one. That American to Euro BB conversion is the ticket too. Either way will get you riding.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

  18. #18
    Florida Rider
    Reputation: atomrcrkhsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    880
    sorry to hijack your thread, but on the subject of BB's does anyone know the style of bottom bracket on an 05 STP (EURO, American, ETC.), and the width of the spindle or whatever? If you have an STP, it would be great if you told me what BB you are using
    Thanks

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    51
    ^euro

  20. #20
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Secace
    You could either run any number of available bmx chainwheels (there are a ton and some killer designs) or I know Profile also makes a "spider" conversion (like $23.00) that will allow the bmx crank to mimic a conventional mtb crank by connecting the crank to the chainwheel by a typical 5 bolt pattern instead of the single tab method. Either way, you're still depending on that single tab to transfer the power/absorb shock cause that's what locks the spider into place. That's in no way a bad thing cause there are a ton of bmx crank setups that are bombproof. I've heard of very few ever failing. My Haro Group 1 bmx race bike has a Truvativ spider setup on it and its stout. Bmx cranks are trick man!! I'd have no reservations about running one. That American to Euro BB conversion is the ticket too. Either way will get you riding.
    Can you still run a normal chaingiude too?

    So is this using the 5 bolt conversion spider like you said it does?


  21. #21
    -arschloch-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    Expensive (for me anyways)... but if I got them, would there be a specific way to go about what type of chainrings to get?


    Any other suggestions on the matter?

    SPAM ALERT: I've got the three pc. BMX cranks off of my DK cruiser. I only rode them once. I'll give you a screaming deal on them. If you're interested, PM me.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

  22. #22
    I bike long tyme.
    Reputation: Secace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    Can you still run a normal chaingiude too?

    So is this using the 5 bolt conversion spider like you said it does?



    DH Biker
    As far as I know you can run any number of chainguide/bashring setups. And yes, looks like M1 Joel has a "spider" type crank arrangement on his Twenty-Four. That is one sweet drivetrain set-up right there.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

  23. #23
    -arschloch-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel
    i dont know anything about a cheap route but here is my BMX BB solution:

    Profile Evolution BB
    Profile 6.25" spindle
    Profile 170mm arms
    Profile Spyder
    Blackspire KM-1 chainguide
    Random Question: isn't that dust cover that has the words "Euro Pro" on it from FSA?
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

  24. #24
    Team
    Reputation: DHbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Anymore opinions/suggestions on what to get?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.