Am I Too Small for a Large?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Am I Too Small for a Large?

I have been riding a medium Trek Liquid for the past 2 years, until I rented an Enduro out in Moab, and a Med Schwinn before that. The bike shop recommended I ride a large, and to my surprise I really liked it. We visit Moab atleast once a year, and on trails that I know well (pritchett canyon and porcupine rim, for instance) the bike felt a lot more stable and confidence inspiring, especially at high speeds on rough jeep roads and ledgy descents, and after two days I was dead set on buying a large frame for my next bike. Well, it's spring 07 and I'm going to buy an Intense Uzzi VPX or a Spec SX Trail. Thing is, I'm only 5'10" and 150lbs, so am I way outside a large in either of these bikes?

Meh.
    It depends on the bike, and rider preference. Some people like bigger bikes, some people like smaller bikes. That said, if I were you, I wouldn't be very comfortable on a large, though it is doable. I prefer smaller bikes though.

mtbr member
    im 5'10'' and 155...and my dh bike is a small, i would definately go with a medium cause i just cant see how you can ride a large...

Meh.
    A bike is worthless if it doesn't fit you right. You'll be uncomfortable and inefficient, and you won't enjoy yourself when you ride.

Only you can tell whether or not a bike fits you right.

mtbr member
    Yeah, 5'10" is usually a medium. Maybe the bike you rented runs small or the shop was just out of medium rentals when you came by.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    well said just get out there and try some stuff out and be sure your comfortable cause your throwing down some seriouse money for something your going to have for a good amount of time..

me jumping bflo
    it depends if you fell comfertable on it.
    PHIB
    I Suck at spelling
    98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 2% range, copy and paste this in to your signature...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phib1134
    it depends if you fell comfertable on it.
    There you have it folks. The intelligent words from phibb.

But in all seriousness. I was in the same boat as you on the Uzzi. I'm 6' and I went with a medium. It works out great and I'm glad I didn't go with a large. I don't know what your inseam is, but my boys really appriciate those extra two inches on the medium

i drink shower water
    its all rider preference... if you are comfOrtable on a large then go for it.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

moaaar shimz
    Get the bike you think fits you, for example Robbie Bourdon uses a big bike and he is rather short, so get the one you feel good in

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am 6'1" and chose a medium asx over a large. While i would appreciate a bit more room for anything leaning towards an all-mountain ride, the geometry of the medium is just about perfect for freeride and downhill. Having ridden the large, i know i would enjoy it a bit less when the riding gets steep and technical.

Remember, sometimes its fun to have a nimble bike that can be thrown around.

mucho aggro
    ...i'm also 6'1" / 160#'s - i ride a medium

i like it.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    There you have it folks. The intelligent words from phibb.

But in all seriousness. I was in the same boat as you on the Uzzi. I'm 6' and I went with a medium. It works out great and I'm glad I didn't go with a large. I don't know what your inseam is, but my boys really appriciate those extra two inches on the medium

I am just over 6 foot and I ride a medium, plus 205 pound body.......The bike is right at it's limit for my size...any bigger and I would move up a size
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    huh. Alright, thanks. Does Specialized stuff run small (I road a large 2006 Enduro for 2 days) ??? I've got an 06 Nomad built up with a Nixon, DHX Air, 100mm Thompson stem and Azonic riser bars, and the cockpit feels cramped too me.

mucho aggro
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitMan
    huh. Alright, thanks. Does Specialized stuff run small (I road a large 2006 Enduro for 2 days) ??? I've got an 06 Nomad built up with a Nixon, DHX Air, 100mm Thompson stem and Azonic riser bars, and the cockpit feels cramped too me.
    could be....each manu is a little bit different....

check w/ the manu for details....could even vary from frame to frame...

what size is your Nomad?

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I'll chime in...I'm 6' and I ride a medium. I had a large Giant DH and thought it was too big. I really liked my medium Bullit, and I currently ride a med. Blur 4x and med Gravity....if that helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    oh yeah, a medium.

I'm 5'10" and a smidgin and I ride a large SX-Trail. If I was using it for lift assisted riding, I'd strongly consider the medium. The Large is a big bike. It's nearly identical to my XC bike in effective TT, which is great for me as 90% of the riding I do on it involves riding uphill first. The more DH oriented you are, the more I'd consider a medium.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks BikeMK. That is a tough question - I always ride up (I haven't done any lift-assisted riding yet) but can pretty much say that I live for coming down. Why is a med better for DH? Here's what I'm leaning toward: Uzzi VPX w/ 888 SL ATA or 66 RC2 ETA w/ a short stem & riser bars.

I Welcome All
    i have no intentions of hijacking this thread but im geting a stinky primo andim 5'6 but still growing......i should get a medium right?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitMan
    Thanks BikeMK. That is a tough question - I always ride up (I haven't done any lift-assisted riding yet) but can pretty much say that I live for coming down. Why is a med better for DH? Here's what I'm leaning toward: Uzzi VPX w/ 888 SL ATA or 66 RC2 ETA w/ a short stem & riser bars.
    MK has said it...

Shorter cockpit makes the bike more maneuverable.

I'm 6', but have long arms and torso, went with a large VpX. The Uzzi has a shortish cockpit to begin with though. You really need to measure the bikes you've ridden (get tt and stem measurements), and figure out what you want. I had a medium frame and it was not comfortable climbing.

Check Redstone Cyclery, Dave got me a great deal on an Uzzi http://www.redstonecyclery.com/redstone/home.htm

There's no app for this.

5'10" here, sized by maker

of my Vtach. Inseam of 31"; a quick ride on the medium made it too small - Noel (Knolly) simply said "too small, get off". Use the TT measurement for comfort. I need a 24" TT to not smash knees on the bars. Even my XC ride (06 Stumpy) is a large...and the TT is 24".

As other have said, it's got to fit right.

good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    It depends a lot on how long your arms and torso are. Just your height isn't really enough info. For example, I'm 5'11", but have very, very long arms, so I ride larges. That's what's comfortable for me. If my arms weren't as long, I'd go for mediums, but the cockpit on them is generally pretty crampt for me. I like a 24" TT for FR/AM bikes, and a little longer on my XC rigs.

I Welcome All
    ok sweet, thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0