AM / Freeride hardtail- Mtbr.com
    MTB SOCAL

AM / Freeride hardtail

I was toying with the idea of building up a AM / Freeride hardtail. I used to have a Banshee Scirocco built up more for urban / dirt jumping. But, since I don't really do any dirt jumps or urban riding, I sold it. Of all the bikes I've owned, however, it's probably the one I regret selling the most. It was so much fun when ridden as a trail bike (way more fun than a xc hardtail). Well, I have tons of parts and an extra wheelset. So, I thought it would be good to build up a long travel burly hardtail. I'm looking for a bike that can take a 150-160mm fork, has a fairly relaxed head angle (68ish degrees), and can be built up at a reasonable weight (30-32 lbs). Here are a few options I'm looking into:

Banshee Scirocco (don't like the new graphics, though)
    Sinister Ridge
    NS Surge
    Transition Vagrant (or the new TransAM)

Any thoughts?

(also posted in AM forum)
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Cotic BeFe
    Santa Cruz Chameleon

SamIAm
    NS surge or Vagrant are your best bets i think.

cromo or alumininininim
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

D-G
    banned
    Nov 2008
    Orange Sub-Zero if you can find one...they don't make them anymore

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    zumbi voodoo..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    A Scirocco is what I'm building up. I love the geo (on paper), it's a shame about the graphics, but on the upside, mine is an awesome orange colour. I'm ridiculously excited about this bike. The only thing I might change if possible would be to make it a nice 853 tubeset or something, but then again, it wouldn't have that classic look with the nice burly box tubing and all. It matches my Chap nicely as is. Did yours have the shockblock stays? I'm really curious to see how those feel.

Card-carrying wotmeister
    I'm a new Vagrant owner and couldn't love it more. If you can snag one, they're great.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Consider chromemoly, more comfort. I invested in a hardtail and am addicted now. They can do it all. Running a Cotic BFe with Domain u-turn, kicks ass all day long.
    I just want to ride.

StraightOuttaCompton
    my five-0 is pretty dope, i must say.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

MTB SOCAL
    The Cotic BFe looks sweet. But, where can you purchase one in the US? They have 2 sizes. It looks like I would be better off on the larger size at 5'10" - any recommendations from current BFe riders?
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    I was thinking about getting this http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=2759 but i can find any info on it anywhere. Im 6' 3". it should work right?
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

Gravity Guy
    Norco Sasquatch
    Transition Vagrant
    BMX: '00 S&M DBC
    Hardtail: '04 Norco Sasquatch
    DH: '05 Giant Faith
    Road: '01 Giant TCR2
    Trail: '08 Rocky Mtn Slayer 70

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    Consider chromemoly, more comfort. I invested in a hardtail and am addicted now. They can do it all. Running a Cotic BFe with Domain u-turn, kicks ass all day long.

How tall are you and what size BFe are you running? I emailed Cotic and they only have the small size left. The small has a 16" seatpost and a 22.75" eff tt. I'm just wondering if this would be too small at 5'10". Thanks.
    Kokopelli Racing

Roll on Spring Time!
    I am 6'1" and ride the 18" frame. It is just right for me. I can still pedal around though not that roomy and I feel it on longer rides. Fortunately where I am based there is not a lot of XC trails but great DH, urban and my DIY jumps. Its a tough call and depends what you want to use you bike for, just jumping and 4x then 16" will be perfect. Longer rides maybe a little cramped. I ride a 65mm stem and high rise bars so that also does not help.
    All I can say is I love this frame and feel seriously comfortable and confident. I do recommend a travel adjust fork preferably with compression adjust on top, so RS forks. I kept blowing my pike compression seals maybe the frame wanted more than the fork could handle eh. I am running a domain now and it suits the durability and hassle free deal of the frame. 140mm for general play and trails is perfect geometry, a little less for urban and DJ and 160mm if serious DH. Tweak the compresion for urban and this bike will do anything.
    An insight into chromoly happened when I rode the cotic soul which was a lot more forgiving and seriously comfortable for a hardtail(I was riding a 7" fully at the time). The Bfe is obviously not as forgiving but can handle the abuse and the geometry is spot on.
    I just want to ride.

MTB SOCAL
    Well, I narrowed my options to 3 bikes over the last few days. The finalists were:

Cotic BFe
    Dialled Bikes Alpine
    Sinister Ridge

I contacted everyone to see what was available.

Cotic - no big frames available until Spring 09
    Dialled - only purple frames available (I preferred the black)
    Sinister - had 4 med frames in different colors. I was contacted by the owner of Ride-This (who talked with Frank "The Welder" Wadelton directly).

So, I ordered a medium Sinister Ridge frame and it will be shipped tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll post build specs and pics once it's completed.
    Kokopelli Racing

Roll on Spring Time!
    I looked at the ridge, it'll take anything you throw at it but its gonna be super stiff. Choose your parts to suit now.
    I just want to ride.

MTB SOCAL

Ridge frame arrived

The Ridge frame arrived from Sinister today. The medium frame weighed 5.3 lbs. I dropped it off at my bike shop and it should be built up by tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I'll be able to post a ride report after this coming weekend.
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL
    Here's a pic of the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL
    Got the Ridge back from the shop today. I was pleasantly surprised that it weighed 29.3 lbs with a pretty burly build. First ride will be this weekend.
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I got to this thread late, but I was going to suggest a Ridge hands down. I've got an '04 which is a complete beast. Love it. You have made a very wise choice.

Nice build on that thing BTW.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    nice looking ride and at 29.3lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    if you want a bike that can take any thing you throw at it, without flinching, go for a banshee morphine. it is virtually indestructable, not too heavy (6lb frame weight) and can take any fork on the market, any wheels, single speed or geared. it is incredibly versatile, and incredibly strong. in my opinion, it is the best hardcore hardtail currently built today.

Failing that, look for an Orange SubZero (they do still make them, my mate works for them) or Crush, both very good Hardcore Hardtails.

MTB SOCAL
    The Ridge has been a blast to ride. But, part of me still wanted to see what a nice steel hardtail rode like. So, when the BFe became available again last week, I ordered one. It arrived today and is waiting to get built up. The frame looks sweet. I ended up selling the Sinister frame.
    Kokopelli Racing

Roll on Spring Time!
    Yeeeeeah baby. Thats what I am talking about. So stoked you made the effort to get one. I only brought the BFe with to Korea and I was super stoked. It helped me learn to ride some street which included just cruising and hitting anything I could find. This place is covered in steep ridges and I used my Cotic to go scouting so managed a couple of longer rides. Then I stumbled on a super fast flowy DH run and only realy felt it at the last section. After 5 minutes of flat out speed you get the rocks at the very bottom. That is always the part that killz my knees, ankles and wrists. With no fully I just got used to doing everything on the BFe.
    Then I got my Wildcard to help with rougher trails and had to strip the BFe for parts, rocked the card for a while and decided to move the parts over so I new what I wanted for the BFe build. I was seriously shocked at first with no squish out back and nearly canned the whole project, hit a 3' drop and nearly soiled me drawers. But over a little time I remembered how to use my body more and then I was hooked all over again. When I built it up I tried SS and it is super sweet on this bike, no chain slap etc. I then fitted a 50 stem to try set it more for DJ etc and it just got better. Basicaly now I will pick up my BFe just as fast and sometimes faster than I will the Wildcard. It is so fast and now that I switch between the 2 I feel I have adjusted to the way they ride and the hardtail is so much quicker on the sprint, easier to pick up and boost of any feature and unless it gets fast and rocky i can hit all the drops and other stuff I do on the WC.
    I am sure you gonna dig it. I been looking at mine and feel like treating it some new wheels, pedals and grips. I am thinking a touch of green would look sick with the orange.

mtbr4.jpg

BFE MTBR.JPG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    Got the Ridge back from the shop today. I was pleasantly surprised that it weighed 29.3 lbs with a pretty burly build. First ride will be this weekend.
    What are those cranks?

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    What are those cranks?
    Gravity Light crankset.
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL
    The BFe is finally built! 29.5 lbs. Ride report to follow if I get a chance to ride this weekend.
    Kokopelli Racing

Members who have read this thread: 0