Aluminium can be weld..?- Mtbr.com
    VIA
    banned

Aluminium can be weld..?

I just snapp the top-tube of my DeVinci and wondering if can be fixed.

Here is just to have an idea of where is the problem.

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah aluminum can be welded, but that's not going to fix your problem (It would be really weak and just snap again). That's bad news. Time to pony up for a better frame.

mtbr member
    dang, that was quick... That sucks man but Don't you got a warranty?
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBsSd
    dang, that was quick... That sucks man but Don't you got a warranty?
    No , I'm not the original owner and DeVinci ask for so many paperwork to keep the warranty on..
    This is from DeVinci website.

STEPS TO FOLLOW WHEN PRESENTING A WARRANTY CLAIM
    1-Fill in the warranty registration card included and send it to Devinci;
    2-Contact your authorized Devinci retailer;
    3-Return your assembled bicycle to the authorized Devinci retailer for inspection;
    4-Present your original purchase invoice to the retailer;
    5-Following inspection, if the retailer judges that the frame or the component should be returned to Devinci, unless otherwise indicated, the following conditions must be respected:

And that is no even half of it..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I weld Alumium for a living so what I can tell you is that it is not all that simple to fix. All Bikes go through what is called stress relief tretment. In order for the metal to settle and harden. Being they are thrown in the oven at 850' for 5 hours then taken out then put back in for another 5 hours Or more depends. If you just weld it and not bother to give it the stress relief then it will just break again after a few jumps ect.. In other words that devincy is toast. Go buy a Cortina Frame, Great Customer service there and they will not break.

mtbr member
    that sucks, but it does happen when you have 7" dc fork on a bike designed for a 5"single crown

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_winner1
    I weld Alumium for a living so what I can tell you is that it is not all that simple to fix. All Bikes go through what is called stress relief tretment. In order for the metal to settle and harden. Being they are thrown in the oven at 850' for 5 hours then taken out then put back in for another 5 hours Or more depends. If you just weld it and not bother to give it the stress relief then it will just break again after a few jumps ect.. In other words that devincy is toast. Go buy a Cortina Frame, Great Customer service there and they will not break.
    What you don't know is that he's sponsored by cortina
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

Cynical Bystander
    That sucks. Unfortunately I don't think aluminum is the best to reweld, not to mention the area that it is at. I think that if you did reweld it and did a good job it would still break very quickly because of its location. Just go for a better frame.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

T.Dot Represent
    wow boss that bike didnt last! crap that sucks! i would suggest that you post some pics on teh site so that otehrs dont buy the same bike and have the smae thing happen to them! and buy a more heavy duty frame. can i suggest something though? see if u cant find an sgs sport frame for cheap and take the shokc off ur devinci and put it on the ih. the ih will have a 1.5 headtube, and hopefully the spacers wich is a much more heavy duty set up
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBsSd
    What you don't know is that he's sponsored by cortina
    Damn you got me, but even if I was not sponsored by cortina I would still give out the great advice because they are awsome bikes who have great people behind the phones.

VIA
    banned
    Thanks for the inputs guyz...
    Is no looking good...I'll go to a shop in the city (NYC) with the snapped frame where a friend work just to have a direct opinion but looks like I'm fvck-top on this one...and it got me out of cash in the midle of the season...SH!T.

I'm selling this to get another frame.

1-03 Marzorcci DJ-III black 130mm of travel with firm springs in perfect condition.
    Steer tuve cut at 8 inches (long anough for almost any frame) 150 bux
    2- Wheel-set: 26 Sun Rhyno Lite XL w/shimano Deore Disc hubs .(comes with :front Maxxis Mobster 2.5 50Duro like new - rear Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 50Duro like new and a 9SP cassette SRAM 7.0 11-34 also like new. 150 bux
    3- Front Shimano XT 755 disc brakes with 6"rotor and 800mm hose. like new(less than 3 months old) 75 bux.
    4- 2 Maxxis MOFO DH ,front and rear tire 2.35 70 Duro like new 30 bux.
    5- 03 Fox Vanilla RC 7.5 e2e 2"stroke... 500spring..works like a dream. 150 bux.

PM for more info or pics.
    All this components are from my "HT" with I only use to go to the park with Tango.
    orry for the scam but I realy need another frame..
    Last edited by VIA; 05-16-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by VIA
    Is no looking good...I'll go to a shop in the city (NYC) with the snapped frame where a friend work just to have a direct opinion but looks like I'm fvck-top on this one...and it got me out of cash in the midle of the season...SH!T.

1-03 Marzorcci DJ-III black 130mm of travel with firm springs in perfect condition.
    2- Wheel-set: 26 Sun Rhyno Lite XL w/shimano Deore Disc hubs .(comes with :front Maxxis Mobster 2.5 50Duro like new - rear Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 50Duro like new and a 9SP cassette SRAM 7.0 11-34 also like new. 150 bux
    3- Front Shimano XT 755 disc brakes with 6"rotor and 800mm hose. like new(less than 3 months old) 75 bux.
    5-03 Fox Vanilla RC 7.5 e2e 2"stroke... 500spring..works like a dream. 150 bux.

All this components are from my "HT" with I only use to go to the park with Tango.
    How much for the rear wheel/cassette/tire?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    i would try and fandangle an upgrade to the newer freeride models with the Rad tubing and all....

banned
    Apr 2004

Sure it can be fixed by buying another frame

Thanks for the help.
    Time to cut your losses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

5- 03 Fox Vanilla RC 7.5 e2e 2"stroke... 500spring..works like a dream. 150 bux.

Hey man I will buy the sram 7.0 and the Breaks off you. e-mail me I will give you a good offer. [email protected]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Don't be to scared by the warranty procedure. Devinci will want to have you happy even if you are a second owner. They might offer you a crash replacement deal. Maybe a new frame for $500 or something like that. Talk to them first. They don't want to have you hating devinci for the rest of your life.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude_Here
    Don't be to scared by the warranty procedure.
    Via obviously gets easily confused by simple procedures though....i think its the part about fitting the bike in a box thats really troubling him....

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

Pick up one of these....they are cheap and bombproof

I bought a transition dirtbag for 850 new with romic shock...the bike rides like a dream and the customer service is rad. They are over built as well. 6" frame weighs 9.5lbs (as much as a 8.5" santa cruz vp-free) and they have the dangerboy upgrade plates which give u 7 inches of travel. here is mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pro Crastinator

Thanks for the help.
    what do you know.....

i figured the seatstay would be the first thing to go.
    you better put the DJ3 on the bike when DaVinci checks it out. the white bros. will void any and all warranty issues.

Former Noob Herder
    the least you could try is an upgrade to one of these. Dont be lazy and blow a potentially good deal....

VIA
    banned
    I just call DeVinci Marie was very helpfull...She ask me to send few pictures of the crack and go from there... Let see..
    I'll post some pics tomorrow...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i had a friend with the 2002 Disco Monkey who snapped off his Headtube, since he was also broke he rewelded it added plate braces on each side about 4-5 inches long attached to upper and lower frame tubes and road it that way for another 4 months or so till he had cash for a nice Banshee Scream. I think he was one of the lucky people though he still hucked it as big as he did when the front and snapped off he also ovaled the headtube and had it machined out, and a machinest make a new headset that covered the entire height of the head tube.

his worked out fine, but no guarantee's yours will GL with it.

oh ya and if yer shooting for warranty/ crash replacement just make sure they know that you LOVE devinci bikes. They should be more willing to hook you up if they know that your not just a pissed rider who just wants a frame back to sell it off for another brand.

VIA
    banned
    oh ya and if yer shooting for warranty/ crash replacement just make sure they know that you LOVE devinci bikes. They should be more willing to hook you up if they know that your not just a pissed rider who just wants a frame back to sell it off for another brand

Thanks for that one....
    I definitly going to use it..

Former Noob Herder
    oh ya and if yer shooting for warranty/ crash replacement just make sure they know that you LOVE devinci bikes. They should be more willing to hook you up if they know that your not just a pissed rider who just wants a frame back to sell it off for another brand

Thanks for that one....
    I definitly going to use it..
    and sound all sad like your puppy-dog just died....

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    and sound all sad like your puppy-dog just died....
    or make it sound like your parents both got in a car wreck and that's when your frame broke.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    or make it sound like your parents both got in a car wreck and that's when your frame broke.
    or how about the car-wreck involved the bike and the puppy-dog wasent wearing a seat-belt....

Cynical Bystander
    or how about the car-wreck involved the bike and the puppy-dog wasent wearing a seat-belt....
    And then...a big steel girder from the bridge nearby came down killing the dog and then the bike flew straight into it resulting in the tubing to crack.

(got the girder idea from the actual local news around here.happened yesterday or something)
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

VIA
    banned
    What a fvck you two psychos are talking about...!!
    How come from snapping a frame you went to killing a dog...!!?

Former Noob Herder
    What a fvck you two psychos are talking about...!!
    How come from snapping a frame you went to killing a dog...!!?
    hey dont blame us, you're the one who killed the dog!

Cynical Bystander
    hey dont blame us, you're the one who killed the dog!
    No kidding... ANIMAL KILLER!!!!
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    No kidding... ANIMAL KILLER!!!!
    What kind of dog was it? Was it a white high class poodle that yelps alot when you enter the room? Or an anoiying Chiwawa that you hoof like a foot ball?

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_winner1
    What kind of dog was it? Was it a white high class poodle that yelps alot when you enter the room? Or an anoiying Chiwawa that you hoof like a foot ball?
    the dog looked like this.....