Alpinestars carbon neck brace on hucknroll for $260- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Alpinestars carbon neck brace on hucknroll for $260

Just ordered mine, the deal ive been waiting for to get a brace

brake later, pedal sooner
    sweet.. i have a carbon leatt, but i'm going to pick one up just to try it out.
    thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    no problem. 10 in stock when i ordered mine, 2 mediums, one of which i snagged. which leatt do you have? id like to know how they compare once you get a chance to try it out

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    daaamn, just ordered the DBX Comp last week thru Huck, not sure how i missed the A*'s brace on sale. Looks like the sizing is different between the two, Leatt only offering S & M, A*'s offering S, M, L.

haha, I must have snagged the last medium they had on sale then. Sweet! I have the Leatt DBX Pro - carbon model.

I'll post up a review when I can.. I'm injured still right now from a broken collar bone so it might be a couple months.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Use coupon code 6X6-1-SK5DZ and save another $20

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by happybrandon View Post
    the whole Backcountry.com family of websites is f'ing awesome! after you posted this, i went to the CHAT feature, told them i forgot to enter my promo code for the Leatt that i already ordered, gave them that code, and they gave me $20 back. their CS is unrivaled!

Quote Originally Posted by happybrandon View Post
    http://forums.mtbr.com/8540473-post2.html

this guy says it doesnt work for items on sale.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Thanks for the heads up! Just picked it up on H&R for the same price, and the coupon code worked! $249 including shipping to Hawaii....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just called them up, they applied the $20 discount no questions asked, will take 2-5 business days to show up on my statement. great CS

they refunded my $20 by e-mail request jyeah!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was under the impression the Alpinestars brace only works with a moto helmet... Is that correct? Sorry for asking this in your thread, it is a good deal too. I am kind of in the market for one as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Why would it only work with a moto helmet? Graham Aggasiz wears one occasionally, Luke Strobel doesnt ride without one. It offers more range of motion than a moto Leatt so its actually better suited for mountain biking,

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Moto helmets are a bit bigger than a mtb specific helmet so I heard it offered too much range of motion with a mtb helmet that it was pretty much useless. Just what I heard. That's why I was asking if it was correct or not.

mtbr member
    i wear my alpinestars helmet with a mtb fullface and it werks fine..... it helps on steeper trails i can see a head more unliek i coudl when i was usign a leat..ive tried both neck brace and id defiantly want the alpinestars over the leatt and i no my alpinestars has def helped me out a few times going otb it werks perfect!
    keep the rubber side down!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yea I imagine the Alpinestars would be fine seeing as many top World Cup racers are using it and Graham etc. I can't imagine they would wear it if it wasnt offering some sort of protection, and they are all using mountain bike full faces.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well I guess we can't believe everything we read on Pinkbike then huh?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Received mine, must say the shipping was very quick for being free! Overall construction is solid, pretty stiff and I like that it is semi hard to close brace. Anyone who has one, are you using any strap system? Or no straps at all? Wondering if the straps are necessary, havent had a chance to ride with it yet but I notice lots of riders wearing it with no straps.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Got mine yesterday, 4 days from order to receiving it in Hawaii! Have you read the manual? You can use it w/o straps if it stays put but it comes with 2 different strap systems if necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got mine from a friend who ordered the wrong size. He purchased it with the optional A strap which is extremely secure but was too restrictive for me.

As he had lost the X strap, I am using the brace without any strap. I am on the smaller side of the fitting scale so the fit is not perfect for me (but I am sure it will be too small if I go down a size). Without any straps the brace may bounce upwards a little occasionally knocking on the back of my helmet while traveling over some bumpy terrains but by wearing a back pack and tucking the rear flap between the back pack and my back had helped to stabilize it tremendously. It would only bounce up occasionally when I am going down dropoffs.

The brace had saved me once so far. The crash wasn't serious but enough to give me a neck pain for a few days and left some superficial marks on my brace where the helmet made contact. My neck would probably be in pain for at least a week without a brace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ahhh I thought they like forgot the x-strap in packaging it, but it fell out when i went back and looked 0_o but thankfully so because I did not care for the restricting feel of the A strap, and I like the fact that the x straps can go under your jersey. Overall impressed with the whole package, the brace, two strap systems, and carrying back. all good stuff. Gotta love hucknroll and the whole backcountryoutlet family too!

I didnt wear the straps on my Leatt and I am not sure If I will wear them with the A* brace as I havent even tried the strap system yet to see how it fits

I had talked to Leatt @ Sea Otter and they confirmed that the protection level is the same with or without the straps. HOWEVER - after breaking my collar bone - I almost feel like it was the Leatts fault. If I had been wearing the straps however, I don't think the Leatt would have moved into the position to break my collar bone.

I feel the same way with the A*. When it's on me fitting normally it won't touch my collar bone. But without straps, it is free to move and come into contact with it. I almost believe that with the straps the potential for the collar bone injury will be lessened.

I just hate dealing with straps though. Especially when breathing heavily.. it does restrict your chest from getting full movement when breathing.

I'm gonna try the A* out, there is a LOT more range of motion vs the Leatt DBX pro. I think this is a good thing.

mtbr member
    How is sizing determined? Is it by the circumference of you neck or chest measurement.... or length of your neck?

All they have are smalls left now.... but I have a really skinny neck and wonder if the small would work.

Here's the Youtube video on how it should fit but there's no guidelines on what to measure to get the best first estimate of what size should fit.

Alpinestars Carbon BNS Bionic Neck Support - Part 2 - GhostBikes - YouTube
    Last edited by KRob; 11-06-2011 at 12:01 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    How is sizing determined? Is it by the circumference of you neck or chest measurement.... or length of your neck?

All they have are smalls left now.... but I have a really skinny neck and wonder if the small would work.

Here's the Youtube video on how it should fit but there's no guidelines on what to measure to get the best first estimate of what size should fit.

Alpinestars Carbon BNS Bionic Neck Support - Part 2 - GhostBikes - YouTube
    Determined by chest measurement/jacket size.