All around DH/FR bike on a budget.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

All around DH/FR bike on a budget.

I might be moving to Arkansas this summer so i decided to start looking for a DH/FR bike. I want something that isn't going to be a downhill only as id like to ride heavy trails to. And money is probably the biggest factor (i'm 15) so around 2500 or less. I saw the Specialized BigHit was 2000$ which is really what i want to spend but will it be good for more than just downhill? And don't think i want it for everything as i already have a rockhopper for XC.
    Thanks for any suggestions, JM

mtbr member
    Does Arkansas have much in the way of DH/FR trails? Or would a slack geometry all mountain style bike with 6 inches in the front and rear be a bit better suited for the area? Research the terrain in the area BEFORE you build up a bike. It'll save you a lot of headaches later on, trust me.

Unless of course you're going to have a mountain bike park near your house... Then go nuts.

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    The BigHit will be great for the riding style that you've mentioned. It's a 160mm(I think) travel bike so you'll be able to do some XC (very light) but also be able to go out and hit those gnar dh/fr trails w/o much problem.

I had the same problem that you're in now. Im 17 and was desperate to get a DH bike. In some way, I was able to convince my mom to let me put the $3700 charge on her credit card and Id get a job to pay her the monthly payments. I can't thank her enough, lol. So, if you're turning 16 sometime soon, a job helps greatly + I got a job as a bike mechanic at a local shop and Its a killer job that I love!!
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mosquito magnet
    Mar 2007
    What part of Arkysaw? Down south there is nothing, NW arkansas and you will have a lot to choose from.

Last weekends pics here
    Bighit would be great.
    aka PaperStreetSoapCo

Build first, ask questions later.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    word. love it down there and wish i could visit more often. id say a lightish build 6" rig will be good middle ground for most young riders lookin for fr, jump park and dh use. seems to be plenty of all that up near bentonville.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    In or around Hot Springs. I might be able to spend more as i'm applying to a few different places for a job, what would my options be for a little more money, just a better bighit or something else?

maybe a used highline? a rockin bike with plenty of adaptability and able to go as big as ya want. i hat a few miles on 1 and it was a riot. weights seem to dance between about 34 and 38 lbs. doesnt climb badly either. heres a place to get some build ideas. check the usual places for a well cared for used complete bike or a deal on a new frame you can build up from scratch.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Buy used. Get something that is slightly large so you can grow in to it. If you are on the edge of a medium/large size, buy large. If I was in your position I'd look at the mtbr classifieds. About the best deal I've seen lately is William42's Lucky 7. If you want to get into aggressive DH make sure you have protection. PM him, he'd probably take a resonable offer and you'd get a killer bike at a sweet deal with a bunch of extras!

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=31491&cat=all

I have a Big Hit and it is good for DH, but not well suited for FR or AM.

Good luck!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by BIBO
    What part of Arkysaw? Down south there is nothing, NW arkansas and you will have a lot to choose from.

Last weekends pics here
    Bighit would be great.
    nice...wat is the white stuff on the ground??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Used is looking real good right now. But what frames would be good for my purpose that are still for sale from shops and dealers?

mosquito magnet
    Mar 2007
    Umm, that would be what we call snow, makes the rocks very interesting.

Joe18
    Used is looking real good right now. But what frames would be good for my purpose that are still for sale from shops and dealers?
    There was a guy in Tulsa that had a Marin quake complete bike for way less than 2000, it was in great shape, he takes real good care of his bikes.
    It was listed on our site's sell/buy page.
    I don't know if he still has it, but you could check.
    aka PaperStreetSoapCo

mtbr member
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks but by the time i do have the money i wont be able to buy any of the used bikes your suggesting. If i do buy new is what im trying to look at now. The Stinky looks good geometry wise, i think thats more of a freeride bike, and i think thats more what i'm leaning towards, as most of my riding wont be 5 minute downhill runs, just big jumps and really heavy trails. Is this a good build up option, http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4960 ? Oh and when i buy a frame like this what size should i get, i ride a 17 inch rockhopper which fits great but i'm growing.
    thanks

mtbr member
    You know, from seeing those pics the trails look a little flat. You could probably get away with a dirt jump hardtail if you were really on a budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Those aren't the trails ill be at. From what ive heard some of the trails around hot springs are alot steeper, thanks. Any frame suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    lol. You have good sense of humor.

StraightOuttaCompton
    stinky, bighit, yakuza.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    stinky, bighit, yakuza.
    what did you call him? now appologize, young man!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Giant reign x? I haven't ridden one but my glory seems much better than any yakuza or stinky I've ridden. I assume the reign is a lightened up version of the glory with a steeper head angle and extra chain ring.
    Just buy a quality used bike if you're on a budget. A cheap brand new bike will likely be ****.
    Also from the money you save you will have some left over for tweaks (tyres, springs, seat etc).

Stay away from the usual **** stuff like hayes brakes and cheap suspension. I was amazed when I swapped my 888rc for an identical looking 888rc2x-va, it was like going from a jack hammer to butter smooth. The same with tyres, when I ditched the stock Michelin AT24 for minion/nevgal the grip improved immensely.

Probably the most important thing to do is have a test ride before you buy if you can. Plenty of bikes seem nice around a car park so take it up to a rough track and see how smooth it rides. Try a few different bikes out.

Hope that helps you, have fun buying a new bike.

THELAND photographer
    Quote Originally Posted by specializedbeta18
    \
    . In some way, I was able to convince my mom to let me put the $3700 charge on her credit card and Id get a job to pay her the monthly payments. I can't thank her enough, lol.

Jeez man when i was 17 I had to save up my own money to buy a bike.......Never have my parents donated that large of amount to my biking.... Are you an only child? i sense that. I also forsee you going into huge debt when you are older....

anyway

a used SC Bullit (02-05) probably would fit the bill and you can get those for pretty cheap and they are pretty sweet....if you want a new one...get it..Fing sweet bike burly as hell and you can pedal up hill with it

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Not sure where you're moving to, but have you heard of these guys?

[email protected] posts on here a lot. He's a good guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mosquito magnet
    Mar 2007
    Jeez man when i was 17 I had to save up my own money to buy a bike.......Never have my parents donated that large of amount to my biking.... Are you an only child? i sense that. I also forsee you going into huge debt when you are older....
    Well, my, doesn't some one sound a little bitter.

22 Hours Ago 06:24 PM
    Joe18
    Those aren't the trails ill be at. From what ive heard some of the trails around hot springs are alot steeper, thanks. Any frame suggestions?
    Hot springs isn't any steeper, the trails in the pics were made to get the longest run down a hill that is about average for Arkansas.
    There are parts that are very steep but weren't used, in order to extend the trail as much as possible.
    The hills around Hot Springs will look basically the same.
    aka PaperStreetSoapCo

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So if the trails are around that would i need 7-8 inches of travel or would a heavy all mountain frame be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So if the trails are around that would i need 7-8 inches of travel or would a heavy all mountain frame be good.

edit: sorry i dint mean to double post and i don't know why it did.

Anyways, would building a transition dirtbag be good. I really like the look of the frame, (not just cause its cool) but it looks like it would cover all my needs. And what is the difference between an air and coil rear shock? I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question. thanks
    Last edited by Joe18; 03-05-2009 at 09:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Heres my '08 Giant Reign X1.
    I love it! It works SO good! i ride it as a down hill bike and it takes beating thats forsure!
    Bike holds up really well, lightweight..(just over 35), you can smash it down and hill and turn back around and ride it right back up if you need too! Giants are the best bang for you buck also!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Look into Fezzari all mountain bikes at fezzari.com, I think you'll like what you see, plus as someone who owns one (the Cascade Peak) I can tell you that value is fantastic (they even custom fit the bike to you) and customer service cannot be beat. You can also get way more bike for your money than anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If I stay here in Texas I might jump on one of those cascades. But i bottom out my 100 here, so 130 there might be a little light. Anybody had any experience or opinions on the Transition Dirtbag?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If I stay here in Texas I might jump on one of those cascades. But i bottom out my 100 here, so 130 there might be a little light. Anybody had any experience or opinions on the Transition Dirtbag?

EDIT: This is wierd whats going on everytime I post it automatically double posts, am i doing it or what?
    Last edited by Joe18; 03-06-2009 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    First off, only the forks are 130, the rear travel is 6 inches (140=5 inches). Secondly, I am a 220 pound, pretty big guy, and I have done some really insane stuff on this bike, and have not even come close to bottoming out (if you set the air pressure, compression, and rebound adjustments right on the forks and rear shock, the Cascade is really great). Also, I live in the mountain biking mecca of the U.S., right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado Springs, there is no way you will encounter anything in Arkansas that will even come close to comparison, and I can do 15-20 foot drops onto a flat surface on this bike with my weight and size (like I said, I am 220 pounds at 5'10, so I have a prety massive build), and never worry about bottoming out. If you want to pend a few hundred more you can also get the Nebo Peak with the Fox Talas RLC with 140 travel and the same 6 inches of rear travel. I think if you shop around, you will find that most of the people who have purchased these have about the same things to say, and I know from personal experience that it is really difficult to bottom out this bike. Look at the build specs, read some of the reviews posted (they have even reviewed it here on Mtbr), and if you still have any concerns, call Fezzari, they are always happy to answer questions and give technical specs and do Q and A for anyone, they can tell you if the bike can handle your riding style and terrain, but I am pretty sure that it can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You're right, that is a much better shock too. I might be giving them a call soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am just glad I could offer you a choice (it took me 3 months of intensive research and a bunch of dumb luck to find Fezzari). Also, in case you are wondering about bikes at LBS, the Fezzari is about half the price (I could not find a similiar spec'd bike for less than $3800 here in Colorado Springs) and I have to tell you that the custom fit is awsome (if you decide to get one, just make sure to tell them that you are still growing when submitting your measurements and they will make some adjustments to your setup to allow for growth). Another great selling point here too is that when calling Fezzari, you get a real person on the phone and not one of those annoying automated systems telling you to press 1 for this or 2 for that. They are also awsome on warranty service (I had some seals go bad in my brakes and they replaced both front and rear brakes in two days, sending the replacements through FedEx with second day air service so I could get back to riding as quickly as possible).

Also, the frame has a life-time warranty, which beats many other bike manufacturers with the standard 3-5 year warranty. One other thing, if you do decide on the Fezzari, make sure to check out their "Deal Of The Day" section on the website, you might be able to get the bike you want at even more savings. I f you do go this route, the only thing you will definitely want to change on the bike as soon as possible are the tires (the larsens do not corner or handle well in dirt or loose gravel, and I assume you will be riding in each, if you have a tire that you currently like, go woth those, otherwise I suggest the WTB Weirwolf Race 2.3)

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe18
    EDIT: This is wierd whats going on everytime I post it automatically double posts, am i doing it or what?
    I think you might be hitting the Quote button instead of a regular reply.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceJ74
    I am just glad I could offer you a choice (it took me 3 months of intensive research and a bunch of dumb luck to find Fezzari). Also, in case you are wondering about bikes at LBS, the Fezzari is about half the price (I could not find a similiar spec'd bike for less than $3800 here in Colorado Springs) and I have to tell you that the custom fit is awsome (if you decide to get one, just make sure to tell them that you are still growing when submitting your measurements and they will make some adjustments to your setup to allow for growth). Another great selling point here too is that when calling Fezzari, you get a real person on the phone and not one of those annoying automated systems telling you to press 1 for this or 2 for that. They are also awsome on warranty service (I had some seals go bad in my brakes and they replaced both front and rear brakes in two days, sending the replacements through FedEx with second day air service so I could get back to riding as quickly as possible).

Also, the frame has a life-time warranty, which beats many other bike manufacturers with the standard 3-5 year warranty. One other thing, if you do decide on the Fezzari, make sure to check out their "Deal Of The Day" section on the website, you might be able to get the bike you want at even more savings. I f you do go this route, the only thing you will definitely want to change on the bike as soon as possible are the tires (the larsens do not corner or handle well in dirt or loose gravel, and I assume you will be riding in each, if you have a tire that you currently like, go woth those, otherwise I suggest the WTB Weirwolf Race 2.3)
    Thanks man I'm young and finding something like that at that price is great, wish me luck i just applied to sonic for a job which i hope will help pay for a cascade peak. And since i don't have anything else to spend it on maybe ill just start buying a new bike for a different purpose every year. TE-HE Or maybe i shouldn't get ahead of myself. Thanks everyone

Members who have read this thread: 0