air vs. coil shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

air vs. coil shock

Need some help from you DH/FR people. I'm building my first DH/FR bike and I had the chance to buy both a Manitou 4 way air and a 4 way coil. They are both same length and stroke. My question to you guys is. What would be better to put on? It's gonna be a 2006 Ruckus 7, which will be used for some Colorado trips (I'm from Oklahoma so no real DH here). My other two bikes have air shocks but one is for XC and the other AM. both which are more of a lightweight package. Those of you who have used both let me know why you prefer one over the other. I'm only a weight weenie when it comes to XC so weight is not an issue with the coil. I'm looking for performance differences. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails air vs. coil shock-307303_2015646917189_1424334619_31878991_679731389_n.jpg  

Still loving my GT's!! find me on the "GT Bike Group" page on FB. I hardly ever hang out in here anymore.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    Need some help from you DH/FR people.
    If you don't care about weight and are mostly gonna be riding it at bike parks most people would say coil...

Pivotal figure
    Coil will be smoother feeling, especially on the stutter bumps. Air has the weight advantage as well having the ability to fine tune your preload. Just bring them both on the trip and swap out to see what you prefer.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Huckin' trails
    Need some help from you DH/FR people. I'm building my first DH/FR bike and I had the chance to buy both a Manitou 4 way air and a 4 way coil. They are both same length and stroke. My question to you guys is. What would be better to put on? It's gonna be a 2006 Ruckus 7, which will be used for some Colorado trips (I'm from Oklahoma so no real DH here). My other two bikes have air shocks but one is for XC and the other AM. both which are more of a lightweight package. Those of you who have used both let me know why you prefer one over the other. I'm only a weight weenie when it comes to XC so weight is not an issue with the coil. I'm looking for performance differences. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
    So how's that killer GT's is working out ? I'd say coil, as I don't feel the air ones to be as responsive as a good, linear coil compression... I guess personal preference, but less chance of failure with coil.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Glad to Be Alive
    for more pedally trails use the air
    rougher stuff and dh lift/shuttle use the coil

coils are pretty much ...get it set and forget get (very minor tuneage needed)

air you can have perfect one day and the next day it be off....you need to keep constant maintenance to have them perform to their ability
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Coil. I can't wait to get rid of my air shock when it blows and replace it with a coil.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Coil coil coil...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    So how's that killer GT's is working out ? I'd say coil, as I don't feel the air ones to be as responsive as a good, linear coil compression... I guess personal preference, but less chance of failure with coil.

David
    It's all been good so far. Just starting the build and finding out DH parts can get pretty expensive. Especially wheels and forks but It should be ready for some Colorado lifts next season. I'll probably ride it around my local trails just for the fun of it. How's your AM frame search going? My GT Force is pretty decent on that type of stuff. I even did Trestle DH park in Winterpark, Colorado with it. 6in. of travel and still pedal friendly at 31 lbs.
    Still loving my GT's!! find me on the "GT Bike Group" page on FB. I hardly ever hang out in here anymore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sweet! Coil it is. I'm gonna keep the air shock for a while unless I run out of cash and need some to finish my build. She's gonna be my DH park bike 98% of the time so she's not gonna see much of other type trails so the Air shock is really not necessary. So Stulax18, why don't you like the air shock?

Huckin' trails
    It's all been good so far. Just starting the build and finding out DH parts can get pretty expensive. Especially wheels and forks but It should be ready for some Colorado lifts next season. I'll probably ride it around my local trails just for the fun of it. How's your AM frame search going? My GT Force is pretty decent on that type of stuff. I even did Trestle DH park in Winterpark, Colorado with it. 6in. of travel and still pedal friendly at 31 lbs.
    Yeah, GT is also a good looking option... I'm not too much into their new frame line-up, since their web site is kinda hard to find which bike is right for you... Anything to suggest compatible on a 150mm fork ?

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Sweet! Coil it is. I'm gonna keep the air shock for a while unless I run out of cash and need some to finish my build. She's gonna be my DH park bike 98% of the time so she's not gonna see much of other type trails so the Air shock is really not necessary. So Stulax18, why don't you like the air shock?
    The air shock is cool in that you can fine tune everything, but I don't have a pump that can fit on the valves. I hit the little valve for a second and let out all the air on accident. Ended up filling it up at a gas station, but didn't get the right amount, and pretty much rode on full compression the whole ride.

I just love the set it and forget it aspect of the coil.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ouch! Yeah, I can see how that would suck if you didn't have the pump with you. I'm gonna stick with the coil for now.

David, my Force has a 140mm in the front, but can easily take a 150mm. The Sanction is a great AM leaning more towards the Light FR stuff. Head angle is more slack on the Sanction. I have a buddy that has a Titus Mojo and loves it. I like what Santa Cruz is putting out too.

Huckin' trails
    Ouch! Yeah, I can see how that would suck if you didn't have the pump with you. I'm gonna stick with the coil for now.

David, my Force has a 140mm in the front, but can easily take a 150mm. The Sanction is a great AM leaning more towards the Light FR stuff. Head angle is more slack on the Sanction. I have a buddy that has a Titus Mojo and loves it. I like what Santa Cruz is putting out too.
    Yeah, I've checked out Santa Cruz, and the Butcher is what I need, but no luck yet to find a deal on a frame.

And that Sanction looks like more what I'm looking into : AM and light Freeride... Do nashbar still has their sales on ?

I can get a great deal on a 2010 RM Slayer SXC 30 (50% off $1 500) frame or a 2010 Slayer SXC 70 at $800 for frame (both new). I'll check out the Sanction frame too. Any good year to take note ?

And put some bigass coil on that bike... X-Fusion Vector coil for 2012 looks great too. Better then DHX RC4 and less pricey...

Thanks,

David

Huckin' trails
    Hey, looks like someone else took care of that nashbar sale... and now he's going for big buck

GT Ruckus 7 I-drive 2.0 FREERIDE DH FRAME NEW | eBay

David

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah I saw that on ebay the other day. I think they're reaching too far with that buy it now price. Maybe if it had the shock in it but the frame alone, I don't think so. On the Sanction deal, try to stick to the newer ones. They are basically the same frame but a few things on the pivots may have changed. What I like about the Forces and Sanctions is that the rear wheel stays can be changed to accomodate a through axle or a quick release. of course you have to purchase the through axle wheelstays. Mine came with the quick release ones

Huckin' trails
    Yeah I saw that on ebay the other day. I think they're reaching too far with that buy it now price. Maybe if it had the shock in it but the frame alone, I don't think so. On the Sanction deal, try to stick to the newer ones. They are basically the same frame but a few things on the pivots may have changed. What I like about the Forces and Sanctions is that the rear wheel stays can be changed to accomodate a through axle or a quick release. of course you have to purchase the through axle wheelstays. Mine came with the quick release ones
    Yeah, quick release is what I need, although I'd like a beefier rear end, but otherwise I would have to get a new hub laced to that wheel, which I just paid for because I had my stock freehub going nuts... But otherwise, a 142x12 or beefier would have been appreciated... I saw some Sanction frame on pinkbike today, mostly new condition, people bought them and did not build them and now they are selling them... But I think RM has my heart on those one, since they are easier to get (in my area), but GT Sanction is still very nice...

But I keep on looking...

Thanks,

David