Air Rear Shock for DH/FR?- Mtbr.com
    Meh.

Air Rear Shock for DH/FR?

I'm trying to fit a longer stroke rear shock on my DBR, but going any longer than the current 7.25" i2i shock will have clearance problems between the spring and the frame on the coil-overs. So I was thinking either a Swinger 3 way or a Fox Float. That way I could run a longer i2i length without worrying about any clearance issues. I know the Floats have crappy seals, and the Manitous also have some problems... I'm a little hesitant to run air for FR. I'm afraid that I'll blow it to bits. And with coil, even if the shock fails, I can atleast get home. So... anybody ride DH or FR with an air shock? Stories? Pics? Anything?

Authority is dead!
    You definately don't want that "...run a longer i2i length without worrying about...".
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I'm trying to fit a longer stroke rear shock on my DBR, but going any longer than the current 7.25" i2i shock will have clearance problems between the spring and the frame on the coil-overs. So I was thinking either a Swinger 3 way or a Fox Float. That way I could run a longer i2i length without worrying about any clearance issues. I know the Floats have crappy seals, and the Manitous also have some problems... I'm a little hesitant to run air for FR. I'm afraid that I'll blow it to bits. And with coil, even if the shock fails, I can atleast get home. So... anybody ride DH or FR with an air shock? Stories? Pics? Anything?

Unless u weigh 60lbs stay away from air. air is for breathing, not compression and rebound control....what a concept...hang that designer...Oil & coil(that rymes) only way to go in my useless opinion
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

gnar, brah
    I love the Float on my XC bike, but would NEVER use it for freeriding. Air shocks are designed for XC and AM use, although someone said the shock on the new SC Nomad is the DHX Air. If clearance is your issue, contact the frame manufacturer. If weight is an issue, look into the Swinger 4-way air. Pretty long i-2i.
    Trestle Bike Park

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    Unless u weigh 60lbs stay away from air. air is for breathing, not compression and rebound control....what a concept...hang that designer...Oil & coil(that rymes) only way to go in my useless opinion
    already people are racing on air shocks, there will be an air version of the DHX, and Progressive and Manitou are there too.

The problem with alot of air shocks is they were originally designed for light use applications and things like spring rates and damping werent exactly finessed at the time. Air shocks will make their place with the new technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    already people are racing on air shocks, there will be an air version of the DHX, and Progressive and Manitou are there too.

The problem with alot of air shocks is they were originally designed for light use applications and things like spring rates and damping werent exactly finessed at the time. Air shocks will make their place with the new technology.
    Do you think air shocks will ever be as demanded as coil/oil shocks are today?
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    I don't think so. I'm not in the industry, but DH/FR wise, I think air shocks would be in demand for DH racers, but not freeriders. I know I'm interested in the performance of air shocks for DH bikes.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro

aha, an example of an air shocked dh bike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

Outcast
    some of you guys aren't up on the current events:

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    oooooooo, I like that pic. Where you you see that? I've seen the Manitou on the pre-production M3 before, but I haven't heard anything about it after that.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004

hecklers dont count

that is a hekler right? never seen one up close
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Do you mean for FR/DH only? I would be willing to bet that there is just as big of a market for air shocks as there is for coil shocks, just because so many FS mountain bikes are XC-oriented. An XC bike with a coil shock will get laughed at, and the rider is putting himself at a disadvantage. I think with advances in the design of the air springs themselves, as well as stronger seals, air shocks will begin to seep into the FR/DH market, but will probably be pricey. Think about the weight savings to be had...as much as two pounds be replacing one part of the bike. Pro downhill teams would be all over that. I don't understand the negative stigma attached with air shock in the big-hit community. They are aptly suited to their application.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member

Progressive suspension is already there...

Air shocks for DH / FR are becoming a reality. I'm sure that there will be some birthing issues, but the Progressive Gravity shock is already in the market. Whether they ever completely replace coil spring shocks, though, is a very different question.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...t-gravity.html

Coil springs have their advantages - you can pretty much blow every hydraulic / pnuematic circuit in the shock damper, but you can still ride home (bouncing all the way). No such luck with an air shock. That being said, some of the XC / AM air shocks have been super reliable and I'm sure that as time goes on, the DH/FR air shocks will also reach that reliability.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Derailleurless
    Only a matter of time. Over the next two years, air will replace coil as the preferred spring on most DH & FR (my prediction, not a fact).

Riders will warm to it slowly as they ensure the air shocks really are reliable enough, but acceptance will be fast due to the huge weight savings (who isn't just a little bit of a weight weenie?) and tunability.

Bike companies and shops will be more receptive because of the easy tunability to multiple rider weights -- no more guessing which coil is needed for a particular rider's weight and preference. Build 'em up and push 'em out the door.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannymonky
    Just an FYI

For years Range Rovers had air suspension.

If it can work for a 5000 pound off-road vehicle, why can't it work for a bicycle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have the Progressive Gravity shock (8.75x2.5") on my bike now and I am waiting to get a DHX air as soon as I can. Air shocks are great. I was reluctant to embrace them at first but back in '01 when I got my old Enduro and it had the ITch switch Float I loved it. Then I had a Float shock with the large volume AVA chamber and it felt even better. The key to a good feeling air shock is huge air volume for a more linear, coil-like feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Before the actual release of the M3, wasn't it was rumored to have the Evolver air shock by Manitou. I think thats whats in the Beyond picture above. That was about nine months ago when they had just "a couple of bugs" to work out... What ever the hang up may be, I'm sure they're on the way.

Meh.
    Fox says the Float RP3 is for Freeride, All Mountain, and Cross Country? That sounds a little strange... It also says one of the DHX's applications is for Cross Country? *shrug* Sounds kindof out there. I guess I'll just have to make do with 5.5 inch rear travel then... I'll look into the Progressive and the DHX Air when it comes out. I'm still wary of running air for FR. Like dannymonky said, air is for breathing. I'm not doing like huge hucks (15 foot roof drop to flat is the biggest I've done), and I'm a fairly light rider (about 125 with all gear).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    hecklers dont count

that is a hekler right? never seen one up close
    That does look like a heckler...

But, I guess Bullits aren't FR bikes and neither are VP Frees. Most of the VP Frees that were at Sea Otter were DHX Air equiped. Looked like there were some Bullit test sleds around with them as well.

I guess an M3 is a XC bike too... since they were seen with Manitou's DH air shock.

You will see... the next year or two will be big for air shocks.

I have an RP3 on my Blur and would not hesitate to use a DHX Air on a VP Free, infact I am looking forward to it.

Outcast
    I'm keeping my eye on this shock; maybe fox will be ready to sell them some time in the next four years.

aka Jesse Palmer
    I'm keeping my eye on this shock; maybe fox will be ready to sell them some time in the next four years.

So it isn't going to be on the market anytime soon? I would totally buy one. Looks sweet. I miss being able to adjust air pressure when I got a coil shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The DHX air will be on the market perhaps as soon as late May or early June. They already have part #'s in the computer for it.