Aftermarket 12mm thru axles?- Mtbr.com
    Blanco
    Nov 2004

New question here. Aftermarket 12mm thru axles?

I want to be able to ride without carrying a big adjustable wrench. Does anyone make a 135x12mm rear axle system that can be removed without tools, or at least with a normal bike toolkit?

Failing that, does anyone make a 135x12mm axle with 1.75 pitch threads? Then I could just use wing nuts. My current axle has 1.5 pitch threads and there are no wing nuts in that size.

Former Noob Herder
    you can have a machine shop make a 12mm axle with M8x1.25 tapped ends. Then just use M8 screws and washers at the end. Or carry a standard box wrench which are smaller and lighter than adjustable wrenches. If you can find nuts with 15mm flats, the wrench can also be used for your pedals.

I wouldnt go with wing nuts, you'll never get them tight enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

hands up who wants to die
    just get a shorty box wrench - they are pretty small - 5" long or so. You could fit about 40 of 'em in your Camelbak.

-r

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo
    I want to be able to ride without carrying a big adjustable wrench. Does anyone make a 135x12mm rear axle system that can be removed without tools, or at least with a normal bike toolkit?

Failing that, does anyone make a 135x12mm axle with 1.75 pitch threads? Then I could just use wing nuts. My current axle has 1.5 pitch threads and there are no wing nuts in that size.
    My 12mm axle uses a normal allen wrench.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member

Orange made a 12mm x 135mm for their 01-02 222 frame. It used standard tools. The 222 switched to 150mm later, so make sure you know which one is which. you may try to get a replacement. I don't know if it will work since the width of the dropouts may be too different.

Does your frame use any pinch bolts like an Orange/SC V10? Or is it just like a normal dropout that you tighten with the Thru axel like a SC VpFree/RM RM9?

Glad to Be Alive
    azonic sells a 12mm axle...not sure of the pitch
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    My 12mm axle uses a normal allen wrench.
    So does mine, but all that does is hold the axle in place. I still need a 20mm wrench to get the nut off the axle.

The cheeseball thing would be to buy a cheap open-end wrench and grind down the handle. But it would still weigh as much as the rest of my toolkit. I thought about grinding the nut down to 15mm so I can get the pedal wrench on it, but there's not much left of a 12mm nut if you do that.

I like zedro's solution...I could take my current axle and only tap one side. This would let me adjust the length via the nut on the other side, but I'd have to make sure the M8 bolt uses a tool that's on the other side of my Alien from the 4mm allen key that holds the axle in place. Time for a field trip to the hardware store.

This is a stupid problem to have in the first place. Do they think that having a thru-axle means you won't get flats? This problem's been solved for the front end for a long time now...

Former Noob Herder

This is a stupid problem to have in the first place. Do they think that having a thru-axle means you won't get flats? This problem's been solved for the front end for a long time now...
    actually having nuts on the ends of a threaded axle makes it a bolt-on, not a proper thrue-axle. Also the ease of different true axle setups vary with the frame designs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!