Advantage of Presta??- Mtbr.com

Poll: What valve do you use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Disco-Superfly

Advantage of Presta??

Is there any real advantage to using a presta valve vs. schrader?
    I think its just a pain in the a$$, becuase when you are at the gas station trying to fill up your tires with the air compresssor you have to carry the retarded adaptor with you, or you need a updated pump at home that converts to presta, or has 2 valves (like mine).... Is there any advantage to it? or is it just some stupid weird wonder.. My brother uses presta and I use schrader, I find that I hold air longer.... and air up far easier..

why?
    I also set up a poll, vote what you use, or if you are mixing...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Portland, OR
    you can get these tiny little adapters that just screw over the presta valve to fit schreader pumps. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Adaptors.aspx

I just keep one in the key pocket of my jeans.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    you can get these tiny little adapters that just screw over the presta valve to fit schreader pumps. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Adaptors.aspx

I have one, but why would you want to do that when you can just use a schrader... thats why I want to know what the advantage of presta is... why it exsists..
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Smaller hole in the rim for presta, maybe that's a strength advantage? (But then why aren't more downhill rims presta? Maybe only applicable to skinnier rims, hence their use on road bikes) They're easier to let out a bit of air on the trail with just your finger, vs. with shrader having to poke something into the valve. I have a nice set of dt swiss enduro 540's with presta. Didn't know they were presta when I ordered them. I don't really have a preference either way, maybe lean a little bit to the presta side since all three of my bikes use it.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I have one, but why would you want to do that when you can just use a schrader... thats why I want to know what the advantage of presta is... why it exsists..
    I really dont kno why they exist. maybe just to be different ? I do agree with the point hiccup made, whare you can let just a little bit of air out if you have to. I do use that feature sometimes
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    You can also just leave one screwed onto the valve all the time...

I like the threaded presta stems because you can put the nut on there and the tube doesn't try to press through the rim when I push the pump chuck onto the valve.

Beyond that, there is no real advantage to either one.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you leave the presta open and screw the adapter valve onto it and leave it on you'll gradually lose air so that is not a viable alternative. What I llike about the presta is my CO2 bottle just slips ove the presta valve but the you have to screw it onto the Schrader valve which is major whip when your're on the trail.

mtbr member
    Presta is also known as the french valve, schrader is american. Presta is nice because the valve hardly ever leaks and if it does its real real slow. schrader has a tendency to loose about half a pound a week. so in a couple months your tires are getting low. most dh'ers tires dont last that long anyway and if they do they change their pressure according to the conditions. so it usually doesnt factor in. presta is a hair lighter. also usually not of much concern to most dh'ers as it may only be 5 grams. having the lockin nut on the outside is nice when your inflating for the first time beacuse the valve doesnt push in like with schrader. but all you have to do is push the schader against the rim and it stays put. so yeah for the most part schader is fine. being a bit of a roady and xc fool i am used to presta.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by hiccup
    Smaller hole in the rim for presta, maybe that's a strength advantage? (But then why aren't more downhill rims presta? Maybe only applicable to skinnier rims, hence their use on road bikes) They're easier to let out a bit of air on the trail with just your finger, vs. with shrader having to poke something into the valve. I have a nice set of dt swiss enduro 540's with presta. Didn't know they were presta when I ordered them. I don't really have a preference either way, maybe lean a little bit to the presta side since all three of my bikes use it.
    Strength isn't much of a factor. I've actually taken a drill to rims so that I can use schrader valves on them. The difference in diameter of the holes in the rim is maybe a millimeter from each side, not much.

I use both presta and schrader, half the time it's because that's what I happened to grab at the shop. Of course my roadie tires are presta and like others have said it's nice to be able to let small amounts of air out. Plus that makes it easier to deflate the tube and change tires or whatever.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Summary:
    -both types are self sealing, but presta have the added security of tightening a little nut down
    -Valve core in presta valves don't work loose. they do once in a while in schrader valves.
    -European presta valves have replacable valve cores. American ones do not, (to hell with the environment).
    -Ease of air release (clearly presta over schrader)
    -You can bend the little threaded bolt on presta valves if you're not careful, and then you won't get a good seal. Schrader valves have no such thing.
    -The threaded stem is nice if you have trouble locking on to the valve stem when inflating from low pressure.

Disco-Superfly
    Thanks guys..... I never found it hard to let air out of the schrader, take off the cap and poke the top of it in and hit the valve down....

I see the advantages now, but I will be sticking with schrader for the simple fact that I can air them up anywhere without worrying about an adaptor, or using my pump (it has 2 holes)...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Glad to Be Alive
    presta
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0