advanced jumping advice (serious huckers pls)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

advanced jumping advice (serious huckers pls)

ok. here's my story...

background: BMX - rigid bike, lots of air time, full control.

fast forward this year....

riding a 40+lbs DH bike with 200mm travel. I posted some time back about how to jump better with more control. ALL of your guys' tips/vids/comments have helped me reach hitting 20ft 'safe' jumps - table tops... SAFELY! woo!

fast forward to even more recently...

last weekend. Went for a ~30ft step up. Was a much larger lip than my safe zone jumps and required a butt load more speed. Confidence was high, i felt great...

Off the lip, nose slowly starts diving and i made the decision to EJECT. landed on the bike, rolled a few times. battered and bruised several body parts, but not broken, brings me here...

what could have went wrong? body position might have been a little stiff. might have been leaning a little too far forward (felt like it). but all this thinking and reflecting on the crash, really makes me think of bike setup.

which is where MTBR jumpers come in. i am reading some tips/tricks online. one source said to dial in more compression damping into the fork so it doesnt preload too far on the hit? or at least at a slower speed to give the feeling of a stiffer fork...can anyone confirm?

i also figure i should be running even slower rebound on the rear. This makes sense to me since a firmer fork and less boucny rear would offer most control (bmx rigid feel).

lets talk about this. help me out guys. my soft/plush DH setup with no damping and slow rebounds felt great on the 20ft gap. but when i stepped up my game on the 30, the bike felt different.

Are you guys adjusting your bike setups based on the shapes and sizes of the lips/gap distances? i feel like im missing an important piece of information... basically, i am looking to get my confidence back up to where it was, so when im back on the bike im not afraid to be in the air again...

Thanks for listening, commenting, sharing experiences & setups.
    -SKIM

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do you think you have a habit of bunny hopping when you jump? I used to have the same problem, also coming from BMX. Instead of loading the back tire off of lips, compress and release the suspension evenly. Also, make sure the rear shock rebound is slower than the fork's rebound. You may get away with a faster rear rebound on mellow lips, but as the force of the lip loading the suspension increases, the more it's going to buck you over the bars.

As far as compression goes, I use a stiffer spring rate (22% front, 25%rear), because of drops and large jumps, and a low compression to make sure I'm using all of the travel. The higher spring rates don't require much dampening so it makes the bike feel more lively.

May The Force Be With You
    A wise man once told me, " Let It Buck "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser / Facebook: NyNomadFJC

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
    Do you think you have a habit of bunny hopping when you jump? I used to have the same problem, also coming from BMX. Instead of loading the back tire off of lips, compress and release the suspension evenly. Also, make sure the rear shock rebound is slower than the fork's rebound..
    when i first started jumping DH, i almost wrecked several times over the bars because of my bunny hopping vmx habits. i quickly got away from doing so and no longer have the habit. currently my rear rebound is close to as slow as it can get (when i jump) i think I'm only 1-2 clicks out. my front is about half way.

i have a feeling it was the lip and my body positioning that sent me over. Thanks for chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    A wise man once told me, " Let It Buck "
    so you're saying I'm doing it wrong? haha

May The Force Be With You
    i believe, internally we all have an invisible wall based off ones personal perception of fear which keeps us all in our own consistent comfort zone. In regards to jumping we are fully capable of jumping higher, faster and farther because we see others do it all day long but being stuck in that zone only brings us to meet the wall. In order to achieve the goal we have to break out of that comfort zone, break down the wall and " Let It Buck! " .. I'm guilty of it. I hit table tops all day for some unknown perceived reason my fake fear keeps me from hitting it hard to land on the down slope... I too need to take my skirt off and just Let It Buck! and maybe even throw in a tail whip!... that's just my thoughts. others for sure have 10000x's more experience then I do. Fine line between being comfortable going big and developing the skills and techniques... So take your skirt off and let it buck!

or i'm talking out of my ass and shouldn't have a beer or 3 for breakfast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser / Facebook: NyNomadFJC

Professional Troll
    Lean forward. If you have a tendency to let the nose drop off the jumps you have to keep your weight forward on take off. Many people don't seem to get this, but its the secret.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    shwinn8............ i like your style. BEER ON! haha.

Thanks for the tips and comfort guys. I'm not sure when ill be ready to try this hit again. but i'll keep my head up.

mtbr member
    Were you looking down into the gap after you left the lip? That will send your nose diving. Focus on the landing while keeping your arms and legs really loose. I prefer stiffer compression damping to get more preload off the face but everyone has a different style (a stiffer spring with little preload can have the same effect). Slowing the rear rebound down a tad won't hurt but isn't a cure all for bad form. Finally, 40+ lb DH bikes aren't that fun to use for FR type riding. I ditched my M3 a couple years ago and can't say I miss it at all! It's so much easier to hit those types of gaps on a 35 lb bike!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good tips Gman. One thing to note is definitely check your rebound set up. I recently had my CCDB serviced, and the settings came back to me with the rebound a bit higher than I was accustomed to.

Needless to say, it wasn't the best idea to try my first jump back on a 25-30 footer haha. I ended up panicking in the air and freezing up.

Video here. LG Crash Video - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    May 2013
    gman. yea 40+ sucks to get airborne. but it sure feels stable 99% of the time
    Thanks for your tips and insight man.

Arkon. you got just as lucky as i did! glad you see you actually land and not go over the bars on that one... sketchy! my rebound on the rear is def on the slow side. always has been since day one, its always been my preference on this bike.

Professional Troll
    I wouldn't worry about suspension setup. Unless your stuff is wayyyyyyyyy off its not going to be the difference between jumping comfortably v uncomfortably.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about suspension setup. Unless your stuff is wayyyyyyyyy off its not going to be the difference between jumping comfortably v uncomfortably.
    this.

it's definitely more about technique than bike setup. staying loose off the lip will help. best way to learn good technique is take a hardtail or bmx to a bmx track and learn how to pump through rollers and preload jumps properly etc. the jumps on my local bmx track force you to have good technique on take off and landing in order to clear the jump(tabletops so not intimidating or dangerous) and the next one after that. if you want to clean the track you have to be super consistent with good technique and pretty fit. IMO, the best and safest way to learn good bike handling skills is a bmx track on a rigid bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    well i came from BMX, so i would have to disagree.... for me, BMX without suspension is entirely different then a 40lb full suspension rig. i have motocross experience as well, and to be honest, all of them are different to me.

bmx was easy to through the bike around, DH is harder, MX is even harder because of the weight.

i just need to practice on the bigger hits. i always thought i was pretty comfortable in the air on BMX/MTB/MX, but i think i just went off wrong. it ultimately made me think it was my set up, when in fact, it could have just been my weight front to rear ratio.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    its all relative. everyone is different so saying one is harder than the other is irrelevant. if you come from a bmx background, and were relatively serious/good, then you probably have good technique. maybe you are thinking about it too much? if anything, slow your rebound a few click to keep the tendency to buck off lips at a minimum. i find i ride better when i take my mind out of the equation, i listen to music and just get in the hypothetical "zone" when i ride and everything just falls in to place. the less i think about it and more i "have fun", the better i ride. if that makes sense

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Again, this... If your weight is all on your feet, and your arms are relaxed, the bike can rock back and forth plenty without taking you with it. My theory on the video is that you just weren't quite centered when you hit the lip of the jump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah I do agree that suspension isn't everything, it's just when I was planning on the bike reacting one way, and it reacted another, I panicked and "Deal Sailored" it to the ground hahah.

mtbr member
    OP, was the take-off more of a sender (fairly flat) or a booter (DJ-type)?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    OP, was the take-off more of a sender (fairly flat) or a booter (DJ-type)?
    id say the lip was more of a booter.

the 20footer I've been hitting is more of a mellow sender and i felt comfy on that. this 30ft was more angled upward. and much taller of a lip all together.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    maybe you are thinking about it too much?
    yea, i could have over thought it. and i always watch others eyeing jumps and i think to myself 'this guy is over thinking it'...

i would be guilty of that. another problem i think i had, was fatigue. we rode all morning. then a few other trails in the afternoon. after sitting for some time and getting lazy, i decided to start riding again and just went for it. i think my body gave up all together, and i was thinking that was a bad idea before i even went for it.

should have walked away this time and came back when i was feelin it.

mtbr member
    Hey man... so it sounds like you're doing a lot of right things on the bike... slowing rebound will help reduce bucking for sure, but I don't think you can totally eliminate it especially once you start hitting bigger, longer booters. My last serious crash was like the lip you described. Since then, I've looked at how I prevent that in the future, mainly by avoiding such jumps... lol!

My buddy Boni (one of the best and stylish riders I know) has no problem controlling the bike on those types of jumps. He says he just throws some steeze to level the bike, and what he does effectively, is level the bike by pulling it up just before it points down mid-flight, and then he points it down to the landing zone when it's time to touch down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPL8...ature=youtu.be

mtbr member
    May 2013
    easier said than done Ron! haha. yea, im gonna just enjoy riding again as soon as im back on the big. no extra big hits for awhile. need to get back into my comfort zone.