9 vs MAG- Mtbr.com

Thread: 9 vs MAG

Schmeow Productions

9 vs MAG

what is the big difference?

to me, my 9's feel better and more "exact" than mt buddies mags.

i think the word is modulation, but it might just feel that way and have more stopping power because i used to have 8" rotors. but now i have a 6" and it still feels better. the mags feel like you have to really pull on the brakes. with mine u only have to pull a little.

to me the nines "feel" better, so why does everyone hate them?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    what is the big difference?.......so why does everyone hate them?
    finicky, problematic, flexy, etc. The list of reason I've heard could go on and on.
    However, I've never had problems with either of the two systems. So I wouldn't personally say one set is necessarily better than the other. I like both of them equally as much as the other.

Schmeow Productions
    just wondering... what is the best brakeset for around that price range?

Cynical Bystander
    I'm happy with the hfx9 I have. Ive got a hfx9 on front and Mag in the rear. As long as I maintain them they both usually feel just about the same.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Stand back

maintain?

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I'm happy with the hfx9 I have. Ive got a hfx9 on front and Mag in the rear. As long as I maintain them they both usually feel just about the same.
    What is this maintenance crap? I remember you posted once not too long ago that the great thing about hydros being no maintenance...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    What is this maintenance crap? I remember you posted once not too long ago that the great thing about hydros being no maintenance...
    I mean as far as bleeding them every 6-10 months and making sure the bolts are tight. And of course the treacherous replacing the pads every few months.....thats what I call work dude.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    just wondering... what is the best brakeset for around that price range?
    Honestly, like everything to do with bikes or anything else for that matter, it's all personal preference. Opinions will vary.

I like Magura Gustav's, but since my Hayes have never given me a reason to switch no sense in spending the $.

Some of other popular brands are Hopes, Shimano and Grimecas.

Former Noob Herder

the difference in feel between you and your friends can simply be due to a different bleed.

some experience reliability issues with the 9s...cheaper for a reason
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    the difference in feel between you and your friends can simply be due to a different bleed.

I agree with you zedro but I think that they're more hit and miss as far as ones with issues. I've never had a problem with mine at all and it still rides just as well as it did when I first bolted it on.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Buckle Up
    Makes me wonder why many pros run hfx9 though, for instance on the cover of the latest decline, Mathieu Laurin (sp?) is using hfx9.
    <><

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    Makes me wonder why many pros run hfx9 though, for instance on the cover of the latest decline, Mathieu Laurin (sp?) is using hfx9.
    does anyone know how much the shimano xt 4 piston brake is, and where they sell it... i can't find them anywhere!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I have 6" mags on my trail bike, and 8" 9s on my DH bike. The 9s are not superior, the little plastic "plug" is a terrible design. The mags work great though. I just recently rebuilt a mag with a new bladder and master cylinder. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Glad to Be Alive

research 9's and you will see many people have problems with them....my buddy, had many proplems, so he just switched them to mags and all is good
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I have just put a rear HFX Mag on my Evil, and I'm not too impressed with its performance... I can honestly say that my Magura Julie had better power. I do mainly street lately, and a lot of times it can't block my rear wheel. I think I adjusted it right, but it's not new so maybe something is wrong with it... I will take it to a rebuild.

Respect,

Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire
    I have just put a rear HFX Mag on my Evil, and I'm not too impressed with its performance... I can honestly say that my Magura Julie had better power. I do mainly street lately, and a lot of times it can't block my rear wheel. I think I adjusted it right, but it's not new so maybe something is wrong with it... I will take it to a rebuild.

Respect,

Coldfire

the bleed from the factory sucks...I suggest you rebleed them and second it takes awhile to break in the brake pads to the rotors
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Former Noob Herder
    I have just put a rear HFX Mag on my Evil, and I'm not too impressed with its performance... ... I will take it to a rebuild.
    you either have a bad bleed, or pad/contaminated pads. Those brakes work very well for a DH application and have plenty of power when setup right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This reply has no target; it's just an opinion... I tend to believe that much of the 9's performance issues/complaints stem from the fact that they are spec'ed on so many bikes(entry to mid-level). With such a disproportionate number of them out there in the mass market, you're likely to hear more about them; and the whiners are always going to be louder than the ones that are content. Maintenance also involves being aware of contaminated lines, pads, and worn/polished rotors, then taking the proper action. Got oil on your pads, throw them out... they will never regain full power. Alcohol, b cleaner, fire, they all help but if you want good brakes, don't bother. Pad selection- ebc gold for downhill. Rotors- I've worn out a rotor in a matter of four months. Check the profile... if it looks like this )( , you'll need a new rotor when you change pads. Otherwise you'll have F'ed brakes untill they seat. And don't forget lever reach. Can't tell you how many people ride levers that bottom-out to the grips or fingers. There's a 2.5mm allen screw...use it. Then locktite it. If you want to make friends or just save one, carry an allen between your fork bumper and stantion; it will get plenty of use. Above all, the acceptance that **** does happen and that your bad experience is not universally applicable. i like my nines.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithgun
    This reply has no target; it's just an opinion... I tend to believe that much of the 9's performance issues/complaints stem from the fact that they are spec'ed on so many bikes(entry to mid-level). With such a disproportionate number of them out there in the mass market, you're likely to hear more about them; and the whiners are always going to be louder than the ones that are content. Maintenance also involves being aware of contaminated lines, pads, and worn/polished rotors, then taking the proper action. Got oil on your pads, throw them out... they will never regain full power. Alcohol, b cleaner, fire, they all help but if you want good brakes, don't bother. Pad selection- ebc gold for downhill. Rotors- I've worn out a rotor in a matter of four months. Check the profile... if it looks like this )( , you'll need a new rotor when you change pads. Otherwise you'll have F'ed brakes untill they seat. And don't forget lever reach. Can't tell you how many people ride levers that bottom-out to the grips or fingers. There's a 2.5mm allen screw...use it. Then locktite it. If you want to make friends or just save one, carry an allen between your fork bumper and stantion; it will get plenty of use. Above all, the acceptance that **** does happen and that your bad experience is not universally applicable. i like my nines.
    Nice!
    I agree 100%, very well spoken.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I mean as far as bleeding them every 6-10 months and making sure the bolts are tight. And of course the treacherous replacing the pads every few months.....thats what I call work dude.
    Have you ever even owned a brake for 6-10 months

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Have you ever even owned a brake for 6-10 months
    Lol. I've had the V10 since.....early June. so 7 months. But my trek 820 has lasted over 2 years, lol.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    i use the hfx 9's on my bighit. they came stock and they have already survived 2 seasons and are looking at a 3rd. dont see what all the fuss is about. they can take east cost abuse of running into trees(crushing my hand), hitting lots of rocks, and being grinded up when i miss the ledge i wanted to get on. a friend of mine runs mags, and they have a beefier lever, look cooler, and have somewhat better modulation. manwithgun summed up the hfx 9's reliabiltiy issues well. from my experiance, they have great power, little fade, and are a nice rugged set of hydros.

mtbr member
    thanks for the advices, but what do you mean by "bad bleed"? Bad oil type, or what? What do you recommend in oil and pads?

Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

Former Noob Herder
    thanks for the advices, but what do you mean by "bad bleed"? Bad oil type, or what? What do you recommend in oil and pads?

Coldfire
    bad bleed means there is air in your lines; also older oil (1-2 years) has decreased performance. Hayes should have alot more positive feel to them, so if the lever feels like your Julies, it probably isnt bled right.

People generally complain Hayes are to easy to lock-up (touchy, lack of modulation), so they are definitly able for your HT; they just need to be set up right.

The best pads i find are the Hayes sintered metallic, not the semi-metallics. The EBC replacement pads arent as well rounded as far as performance, durability and wet weather.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    what is the big difference?

i think the word is modulation, but it might just feel that way and have more stopping power because i used to have 8" rotors. but now i have a 6" and it still feels better. the mags feel like you have to really pull on the brakes. with mine u only have to pull a little.

I hate them bcz this is the second time I have to send them in for warranty due to the pistons sticking. Instead of waiting for them to get back I just replaced them with MAGs and all's well. I've run MAGs on another bike for 2 yrs and experienced zero probs. Some people run the 9's just fine...but after my experiences I think they are inferior quality-wise...(edit: enough of the soft-pedaling I think they are pieces of ****)
    Last edited by fatchance; 01-17-2005 at 10:57 AM.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchance
    I hate them bcz this is the second time I have to send them in for warranty due to the pistons sticking. Instead of waiting for them to get back I just replaced them with MAGs and all's well. I've run MAGs on another bike for 2 yrs and experienced zero probs. Some people run the 9's just fine...but after my experiences I think they are inferior quality-wise...(edit: enough of the soft-pedaling I think they are pieces of ****)
    the calipers on both brakes are the same tho...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    the calipers on both brakes are the same tho...
    I did not know that. Side-by-side they don't look the same. Are you saying the internals of the MAG and HFX-9 calipers are identical?? It sounds like it. Either way I won't be spending money on HFX-9's in the future after 2 trips to the warranty department.

edit: I just realized the MAGs I bought, although new from Supergo in 2004, do not appear to have the new-style caliper (G2??) with the open back, so my comparison may be moot. Either way they work quite well and are holding up nicely.
    Last edited by fatchance; 01-17-2005 at 11:30 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    mags all the way

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchance
    I did not know that. Side-by-side they don't look the same. Are you saying the internals of the MAG and HFX-9 calipers are identical?? It sounds like it. Either way I won't be spending money on HFX-9's in the future after 2 trips to the warranty department.
    they both use the aluminum G2 calipers, unless you got some weird OEM mix thing. Maybe there was a defect with the caliper body and not the piston/seals.

edit: just saw your edit. Although there isnt much difference with the old style caliper.

Cynical Bystander
    they both use the aluminum G2 calipers, unless you got some weird OEM mix thing. Maybe there was a defect with the caliper body and not the piston/seals.

edit: just saw your edit. Although there isnt much difference with the old style caliper.
    Only major difference that makes or breaks the Hayes seems to be the levers isn't that right zedro? Other than my ghetto 22mm Mag from waaaay back() all my calipers where it be Hayes Comps, HFX9 or Mag look the same and all switch out with eachother. I think that Hayes hasn't made the G1 calipers other than for parts stuff in several years. So unless people are comparing old and new brakes the only difference should be in the lever.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Former Noob Herder
    Only major difference that makes or breaks the Hayes seems to be the levers isn't that right zedro? Other than my ghetto 22mm Mag from waaaay back() all my calipers where it be Hayes Comps, HFX9 or Mag look the same and all switch out with eachother. I think that Hayes hasn't made the G1 calipers other than for parts stuff in several years. So unless people are comparing old and new brakes the only difference should be in the lever.
    yup, pretty much it. And i think the pistons are the same for both G1 and G2s, so only the caliper body and fittings are different in that respect too.

heh i have a 22mm Purple Hayes caliper too, bought it on blowout. The deal was too good to resist and of course i MADE it work....didnt actually have a 22mm compatible frame....

Cynical Bystander
    yup, pretty much it. And i think the pistons are the same for both G1 and G2s, so only the caliper body and fittings are different in that respect too.

heh i have a 22mm Purple Hayes caliper too, bought it on blowout. The deal was too good to resist and of course i MADE it work....didnt actually have a 22mm compatible frame....
    Lol. I've got an 8" adapter for it on my V10 in the rear. Not sure how it came about but it works.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Samsonite Tester
    The 9's when set up proper they are great No problems but the lever throw allen screw coming loose. When bled proper they have a consistant feel. After 13 months on the same bleed, not one complaint. Plenty of big time DHing wipeouts to test the durabillity and they pass with flying colors.

While several friends bikes have other model Hayes , they preform identical or worse than my 9's. It's all in the set up.

EK
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

TNC
    noMAD man

Lazy man maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    I have 6" mags on my trail bike, and 8" 9s on my DH bike. The 9s are not superior, the little plastic "plug" is a terrible design. The mags work great though. I just recently rebuilt a mag with a new bladder and master cylinder. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    I finally had to do one of the master cylinder cartridges on a set of Hayes I bought in '97 (probably a '98 model) that had only been bled once while going from 68mm spacing to 74mm modern spacing on the old G1 caliper. The other one of the pair has only had one bleed because of the same 68mm issue. I have 3 sets of Hayes, and they've all been relatively trouble-free. I'm not crazy about the hose angle on the newer G2 calipers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    Duh, thats cuz pro's dont use brakes so it dont matter. Haven't you ever heard of the pro grip?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithgun
    . Pad selection- ebc gold for downhill.
    EDIT : ebc RED for downhill. Just lost all credibility; can't even spell stanchion. Toss him out. (No edit option?)