888rc vs boxxer team- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

888rc vs boxxer team

Right now i have a 2005 888rc fork and i'm planning to change it to a boxxer team 2007 or 2008 model. I'll be using it for our local trails and some DH races. Is this a good move?

N* Bomber Crew
    I think its a good move. The 2005 888RC is a pretty tall fork, heavy, and bulky. The Boxxer Team is shorter, weighs less, and performs very well. A lot of Marzocchi lovers will come in here and tell you its a bad idea but if you're just doing DH I think its a good move...you'll lose a solid pound of weight, if not more.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aidzvpfree
    Right now i have a 2005 888rc fork and i'm planning to change it to a boxxer team 2007 or 2008 model. I'll be using it for our local trails and some DH races. Is this a good move?
    Sure.

Sell me your 888RC?

mtbr member
    888RC's are awesome. The fork might be tall (can be addressed with Risse or Go-Ride flat crowns), heavy (it's really not that heavy), bulky (super stiff, but the new ones are bulkier so whats your point?) but the HSCV damping is probably one of the best to this day. Wish I still had mine. I did some stupid stuff on that fork, stuff that bottomed my bike so hard that it blew up my rear shock, but don't think I ever got the fork to bottom harshly.

I'm not telling you to not make the switch, the Boxxer is a lot lighter and is more adjustable, but you will definately notice the stiffness difference between the 888 and Boxxer. You will notice that the Boxxer doesn't track as well and doesn't feel as solid as the 888. Motion control damping is awesome though. If you're exclusively racing go for the Boxxer, if you're not keep the 888 and spend the money on some better wheels or shock/push your shock you have.

Now that I think about it I'm going to get my old 888rc back for my Demo.

Members who have read this thread: 0