888 vs. Shiver- Mtbr.com

Thread: 888 vs. Shiver

mtbr member
    May 2004

888 vs. Shiver

How come all the new bikes come with 888 and you hardly see Shivers? Is there a big difference? Do they serve different Purposes? Are the Shivers heavy? Basically the question is what are the different advantages, or are the 888's just better?

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BJKPORTOR
    How come all the new bikes come with 888 and you hardly see Shivers? Is there a big difference? Do they serve different Purposes? Are the Shivers heavy? Basically the question is what are the different advantages, or are the 888's just better?
    Marzocchi have an amazing website where you can see in brigh colors all the diferences...
    http://www.marzocchi.com/template/li...LN=UK&Sito=usa
    Attached Images Attached Images

Former Noob Herder
    well bike companies do like to spec the latest products to pull in peoples interest, and the Shiver is 4 years old now (2001) where the 888 is the new baby. Also Marz may be pushing the 888 more perhaps with pricing, to get the new generation product out more.

The 888 is a more advanced product, and more race-orientated, but however it does seem to be more of a bear when trying to dissassemble it in consequence (there have been some maintenence mishaps reported). The Shiver on the other hand is proven, virtually maintenance-free and one of the simplest forks to work on. However it is a bit heavier (although some steps can be made to lighten it) and some dont like the torsional feel (or tracking) that inverts exhibit.

The Shiver is just about the only thing i recommend as an all-rounder fork for anyone over 150lbs.

VIA
    banned
    If I wore you I'll go for the one on the right...
    Like White Bros. say "The sooner you get one-- the longer you’ll own it."
    Last edited by VIA; 05-30-2004 at 08:33 PM.

Cynical Bystander
    Shiver=BLING
    888=BLINGBLING

Like zedro said manufacturers tend to go with the newest most anticipated product to spec with, not to mention that some of the 888s are the OEM Jr.T equivalent things.

VIA, nice "borrowed" avatar from Ridemonkey.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

VIA
    banned

VIA, nice "borrowed" avatar from Ridemonkey. [/QUOTE]

WRONG... the one on RideMonkey have an ugly frame...
    Nice try anyway.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VIA
    If I wore you I'll go for the one on the right...
    Totally, it's the best fork for MTB...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    VIA, nice "borrowed" avatar from Ridemonkey.
    ya, i object. Will the real Jesus please stand up....

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Totally, it's the best fork for MTB...
    Yeah...
    But if you want to go hardcore in the sport take the White Bros.
    Then you'll have the BEST.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So the shiver does not suck. How heavy is it? or should I not ask. Why would it be better than a monster?

VIA
    banned
    So the shiver does not suck. How heavy is it? or should I not ask. Why would it be better than a monster?
    I have few friends with Shivers and with Monsters and after trying both I take the Shiver no Q.'s ask...

Jm.
    mtbr member
    about 8.7lbs....1lb lighter than a monster, it also feels different than a monster, more responsive, and half an inch more travel.

For $999, it's a pretty amazing deal, considering that the dorado is only .7lbs lighter and costs $1400, the new X-works dorado is around $1800 and about half a pound heavier than the old dorado...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Former Noob Herder
    say about 9-ish...weights will vary with the oil level. I've modified mine with an air spring so i've saved some weight, havent gotten around to weighing it though.

The Monster is really heavy, whereas the Shiver is like the intermediate fork between the SuperT/888 and MonsterT as far as burlyness/weight. They are all good performers however.

Former Noob Herder
    about 8.7lbs....1lb lighter than a monster, it also feels different than a monster, more responsive, and half an inch more travel.

For $999, it's a pretty amazing deal, considering that the dorado is only .7lbs lighter and costs $1400, the new X-works dorado is around $1800 and about half a pound heavier than the old dorado...
    maybe a pound lighter than a pre-2003 MonsterT, the new ones weigh 13lbs....

if the stock Shiver is 8.7lbs, i'm sure my modded one must be almost near the 8lbs range.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro

if the stock Shiver is 8.7lbs, i'm sure my modded one must be almost near the 8lbs range.
    yeah, i still dont think of those as "monsters"...hell the original monster was just an adapted trials fork...the new monster...err....

BTW, you left both dampers in right? just took one spring out and converted one leg to an air-valve?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Whatever fork I get is going on the Demo 9 so I guess I should get the best one for that bike, and everyone has a 888 on theirs.

VIA
    banned

SlimFat my friends...my WB is 7.1lbs @ 185mm of sweet travel...Kick Moster,Shiver a$$ anytime.

Former Noob Herder
    BTW, you left both dampers in right? just took one spring out and converted one leg to an air-valve?
    yeah, although i thought about the one damper route and having the air valve use the top cap hole and plugging the footnut hole, but i didnt want to risk blowing up an expensive damper just to save a bit of weight. But for sure doing that and eliminating the excess oil would get the fork into the low 7lbs range.

Former Noob Herder
    SlimFat my friends...my WB is 7.1lbs @ 185mm of sweet travel...Kick Moster,Shiver a$$ anytime.
    also a smaller fork dimension wise...i mean, you dont see me bringing up how light Boxxers are do you?

Cynical Bystander
    also a smaller fork dimension wise...i mean, you dont see me bringing up how light Boxxers are do you?
    Not to mention Sliders, and if we really wanted to whine we could talk about the under7acclaimedpound Fox fork coming out.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

VIA
    banned
    Whatafack are you talking about....!!?
    Zedro...go back to the books my friend..now you're talking trash...

Check how small this thing is...
    http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/...php?specs=dh20

Cynical Bystander
    I thought jesus wasnt supposed to swear...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Former Noob Herder

Check how small this thing is...
    http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/...php?specs=dh20
    well that fork is listed at 7.8lbs, and the stanchions are 32mm (the Shiver are 35mm with 40mm uppers). The Shiver crowns arent as lean either.

VIA
    banned
    well that fork is listed at 7.8lbs, and the stanchions are 32mm (the Shiver are 35mm with 40mm uppers). The Shiver crowns arent as lean either.
    Yeah.
    Like shiver crown have 6 bolt in the bottom and 4 up.
    Like I don't have a DH-3 and never saw my fork next to a Shiver...
    Keep with your non-sense BS man.

One thing on the Shiver side is that they are cheaper than the WB..
    Last edited by VIA; 05-30-2004 at 09:46 PM.

Former Noob Herder
    Yeah.
    Like shiver crown have 6 bolt in the bottom and 4 up.
    Like I don't have a DH-3 and never saw my fork next to a Shiver...
    Keep with your non-sense BS man.
    hey, you gave me the link, and thats the info and pic that came with it...4 bolt crowns with side-reliefs and all....whatever...

anyways i'd love to try one, just like an Avy, but i like to stick with dealer supported gear.

painfully ordinary
    well bike companies do like to spec the latest products to pull in peoples interest, and the Shiver is 4 years old now (2001) where the 888 is the new baby. Also Marz may be pushing the 888 more perhaps with pricing, to get the new generation product out more.

The 888 is a more advanced product, and more race-orientated, but however it does seem to be more of a bear when trying to dissassemble it in consequence (there have been some maintenence mishaps reported). The Shiver on the other hand is proven, virtually maintenance-free and one of the simplest forks to work on. However it is a bit heavier (although some steps can be made to lighten it) and some dont like the torsional feel (or tracking) that inverts exhibit.

The Shiver is just about the only thing i recommend as an all-rounder fork for anyone over 150lbs.
    so are saying that the super T is only a "medioker" fork for FR/DH for a guy thats about 190?
    I got nuthin......

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleA's
    so are saying that the super T is only a "medioker" fork for FR/DH for a guy thats about 190?
    no, performance wise it will be very similar to the Shiver, but it is of slighter build. The reason i recommend the Shiver to people unsure of their needs is because it does fall in the middle as far weight and strength (ie. i wouldnt worry about heavier and abusive riders), and because it is so reliable and low maintenance. I generally dont like making specific product recommendations, but i regard the Shiver as a 'safe bet'.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleA's
    it's good, it's not "the best" IMO. It's got 7" of travel, an 888 has 8" and new damping cartridges that work differently than before. The super T damping cartridges work similer to shiver's, BUT the shivers are much larger for more oil flow and larger effective piston diameter, so the shiver will be "better damped", and the technology jump in the 888's cartridges should be "better damped" as well. It doesn't mean the super T is "bad", with twin HSCV cartrides (2003) it is still "very good" IMO, but the top-of-the-line products, the 888, the monster T, and the shiver, are better-damped.

The super T is lighter than the shiver and monster of course (but not the 888). If you notice, the 04 super Ts have been downgraded with only one cartridge damper now, and the entire fork is cheaper, so in relation to what I just said above, in 2004 the Super T is not as good as it used to be, while the shiver and monster still have the great damping that they became known for.

It's not a mediocre fork though, it's still a very good fork and a very good chassi. Because marzocchi offers so many downhill fork options, and always has, the super T is only second to the "top of the line forks". Rockshox has only one top-of-the-line fork, the boxxer world-cup. Marzocchi has 3, and the super T comes darn close to being a "top of the line" fork, but at the worst, it's only 2nd to those other forks, and again, the damping in the super T is pretty similer to the shiver, but due to the size of the cartridges, it won't be quite as good, and that's why it's cheaper of course. Still, it's NOT a bad fork.

Former Noob Herder
    The super T damping cartridges work similer to shiver's, BUT the shivers are much larger for more oil flow and larger effective piston diameter, so the shiver will be "better damped"....
    not sure what carts you have, but my 2001 Shiver carts are identical to the SuperTs, as all HSCV carts exept for the travel. The 2003 MonsterT has the ShiverMX carts with are larger, and the whatever the 888 has.

Cynical Bystander
    not sure what carts you have, but my 2001 Shiver carts are identical to the SuperTs, as all HSCV carts exept for the travel. The 2003 MonsterT has the ShiverMX carts with are larger, and the whatever the 888 has.
    Don't 02+ Shivers have ShiverMX carts in them?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    i dunno, i have one cart sitting out right now, and I don't see super-T springs fitting around them, my reference is the older 2002 super T sized-springs though.

BTW, I just put new carts in my shiver just as a rebuild (its and old fork...well not anymore, it's brand new again for ~$200), the cartridge I got was different from what I took out of the fork, although they were marked as "01" for my "01" shiver, but there were some distinct diffs.

On the carts I took out, do you know what the little "screw" about an inch from the top? The new carts are bronze-colored and have a different arrangement of holes at the bottom as well.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Don't 02+ Shivers have ShiverMX carts in them?
    No, definitely not.

Cynical Bystander
    No, definitely not.
    Damn, I thought I was gonna be smart and point out a random fact, haha. Guess not, lol.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Damn, I thought I was gonna be smart and point out a random fact, haha. Guess not, lol.
    I could take a pic of it if you like , it's sitting out on some paper towels.

Cynical Bystander
    I could take a pic of it if you like , it's sitting out on some paper towels.
    I believe you. At first I was unsure of your tone since this is the internet and to not mistake it for sarcasm I went to marz's site and looked. haha.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Former Noob Herder
    i had a friends 03 Monster in my garage for awhile, I was going to see if i could fit the ShiverMX carts in the Shiver but never got the chance

Cynical Bystander
    i had a friends 03 Monster in my garage for awhile, I was going to see if i could fit the ShiverMX carts in the Shiver but never got the chance
    That would be so pimp if you actually had done it and it worked.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.