888 sl ata problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

888 sl ata problem

so i got my 2007 888 sl ata and have been riding it for a while and its nice but if i pull up to manuel or wheelie the fork bottoms out really hard like its like the fork dosent rebound its just kind of falls back down.. it comes down so hard you can feel it thunk down at the bottom.

i know theres a few of you on here that really know your stuff so im hoping one of you can help me out.

oh and i weigh about 150 if that helps at all

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Equal opportunity meanie
    So are you bottoming out or topping out?

N* Bomber Crew
    What air pressures are you running?
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    i guess it would be topping out

raptordude im not sure i just picked it up... for topping out which air chamber would i check there is two right?

i didint get a manuel with the forks and my comp gets funky when i try to pull the manuel up on zokes web site.

so im having a hard time learning about/figuring out these forks.

N* Bomber Crew
    As for air pressure you should be running at least 30 PSI in the PAR chamber over the SFA Chamber.

Do 95 in the SFA and 130 in the PAR and see where you go from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    a)turn rebound to + side
    b)if this doesn't work, check your oil levels
    This shouldn't have anything to do with air pressure if I understand correctly that you are harshly TOPPING out not BOTTOMING out. Bottoming harshly would require proper air settings, likely more oil, and proper compression settings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    As for air pressure you should be running at least 30 PSI in the PAR chamber over the SFA Chamber.
    Marz only recomends that you not let the PAR pressure drop below the SFA. They state in their ATA set up guide to start PAR 30 psi above the SFA and decrease the PAR closer to the SFA or equal to it without going below it to have a less pogressive ride.
    look here
    http://www.marzocchi.com/System/30758/ATA-SETUP_1.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think I know what you're talking about.

If the bike if just sitting still under its own weight and you lift the front wheel off the ground, do the lowers seem to drop a fraction of an inch and then make a slight "klunk"?
    If this is what you're talking about, it is normal. Sort of. Not all do it, but mine did and also my 888 WC does it and many other Marzocchi's that I have had in the past have done it, but not all. If this describes the problem you're having and nothing is actually loose, then it's nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD
    I think I know what you're talking about.

If the bike if just sitting still under its own weight and you lift the front wheel off the ground, do the lowers seem to drop a fraction of an inch and then make a slight "klunk"?
    If this is what you're talking about, it is normal. Sort of. Not all do it, but mine did and also my 888 WC does it and many other Marzocchi's that I have had in the past have done it, but not all. If this describes the problem you're having and nothing is actually loose, then it's nothing to worry about.

kinda whats goin like when im riding if i pull up just enough to get the front wheel of the ground it does drop and clunk i hope thats not normal i feel like im riding a dam walmart bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ^^^^ Do you own a shock pump?????? Check your pressures. Thats what everybody is illuding too when their talking about PAR and SFA pressure. You haven't said what you have the fork set at. If everything is set properly then you have a problem. My 888 SL only makes a nice hissing noise as it rebounds, and is super smooth.

mtbr member
    yeah i need to pick up a shock pump my lbs dosent have one some im gonna check other shops in the area

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ^^^^^ Bingo!!!!!!!!!! Don't ride that fork untill it has the air setup right. We're not talking about a coil fork with air assist here. We're talking a about an air sprung fork. The RC2 side has no spring what so ever. Hopefully your air cartridge wasn't damaged.

Good luck. Read that ATA set up guide I posted and remember subtract about 40 or 50 PSI off of their (marz's) recomended air pressures.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyskills
    yeah i need to pick up a shock pump my lbs dosent have one some im gonna check other shops in the area
    Not to rip on you dude but its an air fork...it kinds needs air in it to function properly...

Man...be sure to wear your helmet when you ride...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The air pressure in your fork has nothing to do with it topping out.
    Most likely ther isnt enough oil in the damper leg. Check your oil levels and maybe apply som more rebound damping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffff
    ^^^^^ Bingo!!!!!!!!!! Don't ride that fork untill it has the air setup right. We're not talking about a coil fork with air assist here. We're talking a about an air sprung fork. The RC2 side has no spring what so ever. Hopefully your air cartridge wasn't damaged.

Good luck. Read that ATA set up guide I posted and remember subtract about 40 or 50 PSI off of their (marz's) recomended air pressures.

and i havent because i havent got it set up properly like i said before i need to get a shock pump i can make one magically appear and like i said also i didnt get a manual with the fork so im kinda relying on you guys to help me out

and to all those that have thank you.

Meh.
    Air springs have a positive and negative air chamber. If there is not enough pressure in the negative air chamber, it does top out. So... Yes, air pressure would affect whether or not it tops out.

Oil levels are probably off too... that's common for Marzocchi.

Members who have read this thread: 0