888 RC3 or 888 ATA wc 2008- Mtbr.com

Poll: which fork

mtbr member

888 RC3 or 888 ATA wc 2008

Getting a new set of forks and just wondering which of these 2 forks you prefer and why

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

rc3

I like the feel of coils better, & they usually need seals less often.
    Aztech Frames
    Azonic/O'neal racing
    Avalanche DH Suspension
    http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...za/aztechshop/

mtbr member
    Thanks for the votes, can you leave me some feedback on why please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Don't think Marzocchi has air forks dialed yet

Haven't ridden the 08 ATA but have a good racer friend who has one and he is not a fan of it to say it nicely. Fork hasn't broke on him, just doesn't like the feel or functionality of it. I would think you would be happier with the performance of the coil. Especially long term useability.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i race one since last october a 888 ATA WC 2008, its simply perfect when its dial in correctly, it is more a Race fork like a Boxxer WC, you need to adjust it correctly and after it ride prolly 10 times better than my old Rc2x world cup that i had, and plus its lighter.... i think you cant compare both fork .. the normal RC/ is more for freeride, i know they do a model RC3 WC that we could compared with the 888 ATA WC, but at this point its more about preference than anything else .... if you race you should consider getting the ATA WC...

Is flexy
    I don't think people take enough time to experiment with their settings on their air forks. Despite my slow rebound issue which will soon be fixed my 888 ATA wc feel pretty damn good. I'm coming off a coil 888 and also owned a boxxer... The 888 ATA is my favorite so far but it is no doubt pain in the balls to get right. I get more or less full travel on my fork and I don't have any wind down.

I also have a question for Flyinpolak... do you mind explaining why you think coil forks need seals less often? The damper units on the coil and air forks are pretty much the same (they might even be the exact same but for arguments sake...). I don't see how replacing a coil spring with an air spring would have any effect on the seals. I'm not trying to argue with you I'm genuinely curious.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    I prefer ATA WC. Because it's so much lighter.
    I'm not a big muscle, and I don't mind playing with the settings.
    Ride fast, yet ride smart!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm riding the 2008 888RC3 and love it. No experience with the ata.

The Beaver
    kind of need to know what type of riding you are doing... DH (race or play) FR (What kind of FR?)

are you a weight weeny?
    what bike is it going on?
    What is your rear shock?
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    210lb,
    Demo 7
    inserted brain at the age of 30 so nothing massive, mainly DH courses and freeride within reason.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    I don't think people take enough time to experiment with their settings on their air forks. Despite my slow rebound issue which will soon be fixed my 888 ATA wc feel pretty damn good. I'm coming off a coil 888 and also owned a boxxer... The 888 ATA is my favorite so far but it is no doubt pain in the balls to get right. I get more or less full travel on my fork and I don't have any wind down.

I also have a question for Flyinpolak... do you mind explaining why you think coil forks need seals less often? The damper units on the coil and air forks are pretty much the same (they might even be the exact same but for arguments sake...). I don't see how replacing a coil spring with an air spring would have any effect on the seals. I'm not trying to argue with you I'm genuinely curious.
    Maybe air forks need to have the seals changed more often because they need air seals which keep pressurized air (which escapes easier than oil) inside the fork. So when they get worn down, air will escape the fork whereas if it was a coil fork they need to wear down even further to allow oil to escape. Just an idea.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    then you should go with the Rc3.. demo 7, you freeride, you dh, im sure you'll prefer more the Rc3 cause its way easier for maintenance.. go for the rc3 ..

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Maybe air forks need to have the seals changed more often because they need air seals which keep pressurized air (which escapes easier than oil) inside the fork. So when they get worn down, air will escape the fork whereas if it was a coil fork they need to wear down even further to allow oil to escape. Just an idea.
    I never thought of that. I was looking at it simply from an oil perspective but you may be on too something. I guess we need to know what he was referring to. This was the first time I had ever heard such a claim so I was curious.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

Members who have read this thread: 0