888 RC2X VA - "VA" definition- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. 888 RC2X VA - "VA" definition

here is the def of "VA" from the Marz website:

VA:
    [Each rider can adjust the spring preload and the air volume by simply turning the knobs. By increasing preload the air volume is reduced, and the rider can have more progressivity without the need to open the fork or put stiffer springs.]

So is there any circumstance when stiffer coils are warranted?
    I'm ~ 200 pounds with gear, and have always swapped my Marz forks for stiffer springs.
    There is no air valve to increase/decrease pressure...so it seems a little weird.
    I'm optimistic that this feature will work as stated though!

Has anyone played with the adjustments and actually ridden this fork?
    Mine has not been used yet, and I'm wondering if it's good to go out of the box.

Just another FOC'er
    My 06 888rc2x has those too, but it wasn't listed as a 'feature' last year.

It's just a way to cut the air volume inside the legs. Because the oil levels are so low in the 888s without it you'd probably get very little progression from the air volume. It probably will do a good job on ramping up the spring force to prevent bottom out, but it'll be more of a progressive spring than a linear one. If I was heavier I'd probably put in heavier springs because I don't like the feel of a fork that's using a lot of preload. I had to do that with my older Z1 FR.

mtbr member

air volume

Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    My 06 888rc2x has those too, but it wasn't listed as a 'feature' last year.

It's just a way to cut the air volume inside the legs. Because the oil levels are so low in the 888s without it you'd probably get very little progression from the air volume. It probably will do a good job on ramping up the spring force to prevent bottom out, but it'll be more of a progressive spring than a linear one. If I was heavier I'd probably put in heavier springs because I don't like the feel of a fork that's using a lot of preload. I had to do that with my older Z1 FR.
    air volume meaning "trapped" air? or true preload?
    I'm familiar with pumping air INTO a fork to adjust preload, but if turning the knob cuts the air out, how does it fill up again when turning the knob in the opposite direction?

Not sure if I'm making sense here...

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    air volume meaning "trapped" air? or true preload?
    I'm familiar with pumping air INTO a fork to adjust preload, but if turning the knob cuts the air out, how does it fill up again when turning the knob in the opposite direction?

Not sure if I'm making sense here...
    When you turn the preload adjusters they compress the spring and reduce the volume of the trapped air. There is no air preload on my 2006, and I doubt there's one on the 07 either.

Members who have read this thread: 0