888 Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: 888 Question

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

888 Question

Alright so I have been out of the mtb scene for a year or two now, just had a quick question as I potentially may have just landed a 888 of the 2008 Specialized Bighit, was just wondering how much this fork was worth to sell, supposedly it is the rc3 without the adjustment knob? Sorry if this is a dumb question, been out of the loop for a while

Thanks

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Not a dumb question if you haven't heard...

Last year was one Marzocchi probably hopes to forget. The new designs weren't exactly up to snuff in the tolerance areas and the result was a lot of failures. Especially the OEM forks as far as I know... The bushing system caused a lot of issues for people, me included. You may be able to search out a few threads on here if you enter "Marzocchi 2008" or "Bushing slop."

Personally I bought a new Rocky Flatline 3 last year and after owning it a week took it to Whistler. My 2nd run down "Krank it up" ended with my fork clunking violently as one of my bushings came out of the lowers and wedged itself in the bottom of my stantions leaving me with 3 inches of travel. I had to pay a few hundred dollars to Summit for a new set of lowers so I could ride out my vacation...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Not a dumb question if you haven't heard...

Last year was one Marzocchi probably hopes to forget. The new designs weren't exactly up to snuff in the tolerance areas and the result was a lot of failures. Especially the OEM forks as far as I know... The bushing system caused a lot of issues for people, me included. You may be able to search out a few threads on here if you enter "Marzocchi 2008" or "Bushing slop."

Personally I bought a new Rocky Flatline 3 last year and after owning it a week took it to Whistler. My 2nd run down "Krank it up" ended with my fork clunking violently as one of my bushings came out of the lowers and wedged itself in the bottom of my stantions leaving me with 3 inches of travel. I had to pay a few hundred dollars to Summit for a new set of lowers so I could ride out my vacation...

Haha oh man, thanks for letting me know, glad I could avoid that situation, thanks again

mtbr member

another ?

for those of you with out the bushing issues. How was the fork? How did it compare to 2008 boxxer and fox 40?

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    for those of you with out the bushing issues. How was the fork? How did it compare to 2008 boxxer and fox 40?

There were people without bushing issues? I am on my 4th set of lowers on my 08 888 RC3

Urban Ninja
    Not sure if my 888 RC3 is a 07 or 08??? It has the grey lowers. No problems here with two trips to Vancouver / Whistler and several trips to my local mountains, knock on wood.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    Not sure if my 888 RC3 is a 07 or 08??? It has the grey lowers. No problems here with two trips to Vancouver / Whistler and several trips to my local mountains, knock on wood.

RC3's are only 08 and 09. The 09 has grey lowers. The 07 that had grey lowers was the 888 RC2X.

Elitest thrill junkie
    My 08 888 RC3 WC has been great, it has a colored dot on the arch which supposedly indicates it was after the bushing problem. No problems so far, I've had it for about 3-4 months. I don't beat on that bike reguarly, but it has seen some good action. Just ordered the "medium" spring for it yesterday. Only $20 for the steel coil...something like $200 for the titanium. At least I may be able to get a pretty penny selling the Ti spring, but there's no way I'm gunna put down $200 on a Ti spring when I can get the steel for $20.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Is there much of a weight difference between the Ti and Steel Coil to make up for the 180$ difference?

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    My 08 888 RC3 WC has been great, it has a colored dot on the arch which supposedly indicates it was after the bushing problem. No problems so far, I've had it for about 3-4 months. I don't beat on that bike reguarly, but it has seen some good action. Just ordered the "medium" spring for it yesterday. Only $20 for the steel coil...something like $200 for the titanium. At least I may be able to get a pretty penny selling the Ti spring, but there's no way I'm gunna put down $200 on a Ti spring when I can get the steel for $20.

Oh yeah, I know the dots. Green Dots are bad, Red Dots were supposedly fixed, the current lowers I have have no dot, it didn't really matter. The red dot lowers were better, but still went bad in about 6 months.

Plus the problem with ripping the stupid RC3 knob off on the bottom of the leg. It has happened twice in rock gardens since it hangs lower than the foot of the fork and is held on by a piece of brass about 2mm thick. Each time is $180 for a new cartridge.

I am just counting the days until the 2010 Boxxers are available.

Lay off the Levers
    I gotta say the two things I never understood are high profile knobs on the bottom of the fork and even more, compression adjusters on the bottom.

Once I set the rebound I almost never change it. Compression OTOH is something I like to fiddle with to match trails and conditions.(and even changes in technique).

I really hope Zoke puts the compression on top next time around.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Members who have read this thread: 0