888 help!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: 888 help!!!

slow reeezay

888 help!!!

I need some advice about my 2008 888 RC3's.

I changed the oil this weekend and fitted a Ti spring from the same year 888 world cup.

I used 7.5 wt oil and filled the legs to the recommended oil volumes.

On riding the fork it seems to spike really early and im not getting full travel? I do get about 6 inches of mush smoother travel but i cant work it out????

have i done something wrong? it almost feels like something is stopping them like too much oil???
    LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

2011 On-One 456 Ti

2010 Trek Session 88 custom build

Glad to Be Alive
    check oil levels.....you over filled...probably didn't get all oil out before putting new in...or did you measure oil height with spring in fork
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

slow reeezay
    cool thanks for the reply

is there a technique to filling the cartridge side? i definitely filled with right amount thats why i was confused!

any quick way just to let a little out?

2011 On-One 456 Ti

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by hecticj
    any quick way just to let a little out?
    Ya, open to top cap and pour some out? Again, if you don't get all the oil out before you put new stuff in, you need to measure oil height, not volume. It's an art to getting all that oil out.

slow reeezay
    okay any advice on getting it all out?

are there any service guides for the forks couldnt find any online!

2011 On-One 456 Ti

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by hecticj
    okay any advice on getting it all out?

are there any service guides for the forks couldnt find any online!
    You basically have to turn the fork upside down and cycle the damper for 10-15 minutes if you wanna get every drop. Probably have to spray some degreaser in there too.

banned
    Oct 2004
    I had the same issue as you, pretty much only using 6 out of the 8" of travel. I forgot the name of the tech I spoke to at Marz, but when he worked on mine (sent in my '08 for warranty to the new '10 bushing/lowers) he suggested I put in less oil to reduce progression and get full travel. So, I'm now running 200cc vs the spec'd 300+cc. He compared my '08 to the '10 which uses even less (80cc sound familiar) and said that I'll be just fine w/ 200cc, and will get the sag/travel I want.

Go back to school
    Ya if you want to get all the oil out the best thing to do is take the whole RC3 damper assembly out of the fork and cycle it until you cant feel any more oil in the circuit. Even then there is still like 10cc's of just residual oil.

A good technique is to remove 20-30cc's of oil and then add a cap full at a time until your happy with the progression of your fork. Remember that VA is essentially the same concept as adding and removing oil. If your VA is all the way in then you will encounter the same issues as too much oil.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    As the others have said, it seems that you didnt purge all the oil from the rc3 cart when you changed the oil, when you have the cart out, just keep pumping it and eventually oil will start to pour out of the holes at the bottom of the cart, just keep pumping until no more oil comes out

Members who have read this thread: 0