888 Clunk- Mtbr.com

Thread: 888 Clunk

mtbr member

888 Clunk

I bought a used 2011 Marzocchi 888 CR. The seller had mentioned that he broke off the tab under the compression adjustment cap, no biggie. But after getting the fork mounted to my bike I noticed that something else wasn't quite right. So far I have only been able to ride the fork around my house (read: curb drops.) The problem is that when the fork is unloaded, for example during a wheelie drop, the fork makes a terrible clunk and it feels as if the lowers are coming off.

The fork seemingly functions well other than the noise. I have removed the compression circuit and it there isn't anything noticeably wrong with it. I added new 7.5wt oil (400ml.) Is there something else I should be looking at?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Does adding rebound soften or eliminate the clunk?

mtbr member
    That is something I did not try. I did mess with the rebound, but I generally like to adjust that per trail so I didn't really test that range yet.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Depending on the model, many 888s and 66s will clunk as the fork extends fully when going off a jump or drop.

On some models it can't be eliminated completely, but it won't impact riding performance.
    Usually getting the rebound dialed-slow it down a lot and then back it off till you find a setting that is fast enough but softens the clunking is the best you'll get.

If you like a very fast rebound, it's likely the clunk will always be there-assuming that you have oil volumes correct and the cartridge isn't damaged.

The only Marz forks I have had that had no extension clunk whatsoever have been an 888 RC2X and a 66 TiRC3.

All the other Marz products with the "lesser" cartridges/dampers RC,RCV, etc have clunked unless the rebound is slowed considerably.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Depending on the model, many 888s and 66s will clunk as the fork extends fully when going off a jump or drop.

On some models it can't be eliminated completely, but it won't impact riding performance.
    Usually getting the rebound dialed-slow it down a lot and then back it off till you find a setting that is fast enough but softens the clunking is the best you'll get.

If you like a very fast rebound, it's likely the clunk will always be there-assuming that you have oil volumes correct and the cartridge isn't damaged.

The only Marz forks I have had that had no extension clunk whatsoever have been an 888 RC2X and a 66 TiRC3.

All the other Marz products with the "lesser" cartridges/dampers RC,RCV, etc have clunked unless the rebound is slowed considerably.
    I was going to post something similar to this. Totally agree, most, if not all RC, RCV dampers have an inherent clunking feel. We have tried playing with oil levels and weights but did not resolve the clunk. It's more like an annoyance thing (like having a creaky fork), you either live with it or get another fork (888 rc3 ).
    Folangag

mtbr member
    ^ Care to share? Or do we need to remit money into some account. Haha.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Update:

I also bought a EVO cartridge from someone on Pinkbike. I talked with Mike at Marzocchi and he guided me through how to swap the two (stupid easy, btw.) I set out to install the cartridge last night. I was hoping the clunk was coming from the stock RC components. When I originally checked the cartridge side, there was less than 100ml of oil. Thought that was weird. Then I checked the coil side and found ~400ml. WTF. Looks like the PO misunderstood which leg got which volume. I went through the steps and installed the EVO cartridge, thinking that it would solve the clunk.

Got everything buttoned up and installed the fork on the bike. First curb drop I got the clunk. So I went through the rebound as suggested here and viola, no clunk.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sounds like you fixed it - but here goes anyways.

Underneath the rebound/air volume adjust knobs, the very top of the cartridge sticks out (such that the knobs can turn it) with an o-ring to hold oil in and (2?) thin shims that sit underneath a c-clip. These two shims pull the cartridge up against the top of the fork and keep everything nice and tight. After enough use and a couple good bottom outs, the cartridge looses some tension and the whole arrangement gets a little sloppy.

The fix: Cut out a beer can (or do some fancy machining) in the same dimensions as the stock shims and add it to the stack. It will do away with any slop and leave you with a nice sounding, squishy fork.

Keep all this in mind in case it gets clunky again.

-Ian
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    thanks for that.

got my first real riding on the fork this weekend and it has blown me away. Bike feels so much better, I loved my Totem but damn the 888 is killer!

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good to hear that the performance was there for you amigo. My 66 with the RC3 cart set the standard pretty high as well!

Stand back
    I also had some spring clunk from my last 888, a little self sealing take around the middle of the spring (coated in grease) cured it.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I also had some spring clunk from my last 888, a little self sealing take around the middle of the spring (coated in grease) cured it.

Yeah, forgot about that one too! Shrink wrap?
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    it was different than spring clunk. it really felt like on extension the fork lowers were being pulled away from the crown.

-cabra cadabra

Members who have read this thread: 0