7 point 7 in route...*a few questions*- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

7 point 7 in route...*a few questions*

So after landing the new joby job at the local bike dept in a large retailer chain, I've decided to utilize my bike shop beni's and switch out bikes over to the Iron Horse 7 point 7. I'm super stoked, I just placed the order earlier this afternoon, and hopefully I should have it within a week or so.

My Norco Six has treated me well, it's been a blast to ride, but it's now up on the chopping block. I'm not selling the Six because it can't hang, but mearly because I can get this fully decked out 7/7 for a really good deal. Keep an eye out for the Six on ebay, I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it whole or part it out.

Now for the 7 point 7 fine tuneing. Do any of you heavier, hard riding, big hitters ride the sherman breakout plus? I'm really set on running a Shiver up front, I"m a bigger guy at 225lbs and I ride my bike pretty hard. I had a dorado last season on my Giant DH and loved it. My buddy had the shiver on the same bike and I was stoked on it as it felt super plush. I have another friend, Saved1(on here) that rips it up on the Breakout Plus, but I'm just wondering if this is going to be enough fork for a bigger guy. As for the rest of the bike, well, below is the spec's list, it all looks top notch for a stock bike. The only other two things in question besides the front fork is the EA 50 bar, and the spring rate on the rear shock.

I'm not sure what it comes stock with for spring rate, but what would be a good spring poundage for someone who weighs probably 235 with gear?

Last, but not least, the EA50 bar. Last season I rode the EA70 bar and it held up great. But isn't the EA50 a lighter duty grade? How would this bar compare to my Truvativ Hussefelt that's on my Six?

Anyhow, I'm stoked, this bike is going to be pimpin'. I'm going to miss the Six as we have bonded really well, and it handles awesome!, but I can't pass up on the new ride, and Iron Horse is hookin' a brotha up. Thanks IH!

Check out the parts list and tell me what you think, everything looks top notch to me, what would you change/tweak?

MODEL 2005 7POINT7
    CATEGORY PRO FREERIDE
    FRAME 7" TRAVEL DW-LINK FREERIDE FRAME, 1.5 HEADTUBE, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE HUB, 83MM BB SHELL
    REAR SHOCK PROGRESSIVE 5TH 5WAY COIL SHOCK 9"x2.75"
    FORK MANITOU SHERMAN BREAKOUT PLUS, 1.5", 130-170mm HEX AXLE
    HANDLEBAR EASTON EA50 MONKEY BAR HIRISE 31.8MM CLAMP
    STEM SIC BODYSLAM BLOCK 1.5
    HEADSET FSA ORBIT XTREME PRO 1.5
    BB FSA PLATINUM PRO DH SPLINE
    CRANK FSA GRAVITY EXTREME
    RINGS 36/24
    PEDAL EASTON FLATBOY PLATFORMS
    CHAIN SHIMANO HG-73
    SEAT SDG FRD I-BEAM
    SEAT POST SDG 2014 I-BEAM WITH FORGED HEAD
    F. HUB HUGI FR, 32H, 20MM THRU AXLE
    R. HUB HUGI FR, 32H, 150 MM X 12MM THRU AXLE
    F. DER SHIMANO SAINT W/ E13 DRS GUIDE
    R. DER SRAM X.0
    SHIFTER SRAM X.9 TRIGGER
    FREEWHEEL SRAM PG-990, 11/34T, 9 SPEED
    BRAKES HAYES EL CAMINO-HD W/ 8" MUDCUTTER ROTOR
    BRAKE LEVER HAYES EL CAMINO-HD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now it's time for the blubba
    Blabba
    To watch that belly get fatter
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it
    (SMT, WCH,EIO)I'll jack your @ss like a looter in a riot
    My sh!t's fat like a sumo slammin' that @ss
    Leavin' your face in the grass

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    that bar will be fine. it's not a lighter grade, it's a cheaper grade than the 70. if i'm thinking correctly the 70 is actually lighter.

Glad to Be Alive
    bigger guys love Shivers or monsters
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Stand back

bigger'n me

There are a couple bigger guys on the IH board w/ 7 Points. I'm only 190 (I don't get to say that often ), and I had to step up to a 400 lb spring (stock on my large was a 350), it works great, I get 30% sag w/ pretty much no preload. You're probly looking at a 425-450.
    I have no issues w/ the Breakout+ and stiffness, but that's a preference, and if you've ridden stiffer forks (I haven't) you may notice the difference.
    Ironhorsebike1 is right afaik, the EA50 is a heavier, less swaged bar, should be stronger. Have fun - the bike does pedal, climb and brake awesome...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    well after placing my order and the bike showed that it was in stock, I get an email this morning saying my order was cancelled and that it wasn't in stock...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm waiting for an email, I hope something decent is in stock, if not, it's back to the drawing board...
    Blabba
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it

Xtremely Moderate
    I gotta ask:

Just out of curiousity, how many bikes have you owned in your illustrious career?

Cuz you are the most schizoid and fickle bike owner on this forum I think.........
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    I gotta ask:

Just out of curiousity, how many bikes have you owned in your illustrious career?

Cuz you are the most schizoid and fickle bike owner on this forum I think.........

and he works at a bike shop too.....eeeee-gad
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

Bull, I am King Schizoid!

I gotta ask:

LOL! Well, maybe and maybe not . I think SMT has it pegged on the issue of working in a bike shop. Often it's associated with the disease of bike changing sometimes coupled with upgradeitis. Think about it, E...if you could try different stuff, experiment with new bikes/parts, modify stuff and then see how it funtioned...wouldn't you? I think many of us are quite stoked about riding, but may be just as stoked to work on a bike or at least see how a different/new bike works. Last fall was the first time I got to go to I-Bike, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven at the Demo Days at Bootleg. All this schwag and different bikes to ride on as many shuttle runs as you could pack in within two days...yeehaw! Fickle?...illustrious careers?...nah, just eat up with riding and tinkering. Some just want to ride their bikes and not be bothered with the mechanical aspects associated with them...nothing wrong with that.

On the fickle aspect, I guess I do stay with a particular bike for some time, even though I may go through parts, forks, shocks, and other components on those same bikes like SMT goes through tequila...LOL!

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    LOL! Think about it, E...if you could try different stuff, experiment with new bikes/parts, modify stuff and then see how it funtioned...wouldn't you?
    I do until my wife smacks me on the back of the head and says "enough is enough, I want furniture!".........and I say "shutup and go sit on your milk crate."

Some just want to ride their bikes and not be bothered with the mechanical aspects associated with them...nothing wrong with that.
    I tinker too but given a choice I like to ride.

On the fickle aspect, I guess I do stay with a particular bike for some time, even though I may go through parts, forks, shocks, and other components on those same bikes like SMT goes through tequila...LOL!
    Don't you have like 6 Bullits or something?................

BTW - I may be mistaken, but I think homeboy stated somewhere that this is his 1st shop job. Correct me if I'm wrong O~Hi~O.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

TNC
    noMAD man

Six Bullits...LOL!

I do until my wife smacks me on the back of the head and says "enough is enough, I want furniture!".........and I say "shutup and go sit on your milk crate."

I tinker too but given a choice I like to ride.

Don't you have like 6 Bullits or something?................

BTW - I may be mistaken, but I think homeboy stated somewhere that this is his 1st shop job. Correct me if I'm wrong O~Hi~O.
    It would seem so, wouldn't it...more like a '99 Bullit and an '03 Bullit that have been in about 20 or so configurations...LOL! And then a '99 FSR and a '00 Big Hit that have only been in about 10 configurations. It's a disease, I tell ya.

On the wife deal, one day my wife came into the house after getting something out of my workshop. She says, "why does a person need 6 bikes?" I says, "6 bikes?...there had better be 8 of 'em out there!"...and immediately went to investigate if I had been robbed!

Hey, E...on that milk crate, I have a good friend in the upholstery business. He could do wonders with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    There are a couple bigger guys on the IH board w/ 7 Points. I'm only 190 (I don't get to say that often ), and I had to step up to a 400 lb spring (stock on my large was a 350), it works great, I get 30% sag w/ pretty much no preload. You're probly looking at a 425-450.
    I have no issues w/ the Breakout+ and stiffness, but that's a preference, and if you've ridden stiffer forks (I haven't) you may notice the difference.
    Ironhorsebike1 is right afaik, the EA50 is a heavier, less swaged bar, should be stronger. Have fun - the bike does pedal, climb and brake awesome...
    REALLY?

I'm 195-200 (w/o gear) and the stock spring was fine... with very little pre-load.
    And I ride it pretty hard.

As for the fork, it is pretty good, but not up to my 888 for straight DH'n.
    It climbs WAY better though.

Xtremely Moderate
    Hey, E...on that milk crate, I have a good friend in the upholstery business. He could do wonders with it.
    Naw....It makes an interesting pattern on her ass......

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by e[i
    o]I gotta ask:

ha ha ha you guys are funny.

I've had three bike shop jobs, plus an online biz you punk beatches

In the past year, I've had a Norco A-line, Giant DH, Giant VT2, Transition DB, Giant AC1, this Norco Six, and hopefully the IH. I get to test stuff out and sell it then recycle the cash flow into another ride. I keep it legit, and mainly use the same money I initially invested. Before this past year it was a Giant AC2, and a Iron Horse sgs expert.
    [/i]
    Blabba
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by O~Hi~O

OK.....then I stand partially corrected..................fickle biatch.

a'buh?

In the past year, I've had a Norco A-line, Giant DH, Giant VT2, Transition DB, Giant AC1, this Norco Six, and hopefully the IH. I get to test stuff out and sell it then recycle the cash flow into another ride. I keep it legit, and mainly use the same money I initially invested. Before this past year it was a Giant AC2, and a Iron Horse sgs expert.
    [/i]

[email protected]! What was wrong with the A-line, DH, and Dirt Bag? Actually, if I had the money, I'd probably do that too.......stupid monetary limits

I think you should get that IH, and put a Shiver on it, and tell us all how it rides. I've never seen a 7point w/ a shiver
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

Stand back

Spring weights

Quote Originally Posted by -bb-
    REALLY?

I'm 195-200 (w/o gear) and the stock spring was fine... with very little pre-load.
    And I ride it pretty hard.

As for the fork, it is pretty good, but not up to my 888 for straight DH'n.
    It climbs WAY better though.
    I was getting around an inch of sag (approx. 36% measured i2i) w/ the 350 spring and preload cranked nearly all the way. I'll remeasure my sag w/ the 400 and see what I'm getting now with everything broken in.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Metal Head
    Here you go. This will get you in the ball park as far as spring rate goes:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm

Add 20% to the spring rate if you are doing drops/hucks. Can't wait to see the 7POINT7!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    NO 7 point 7, they are all sold out However they have a Sunday Team in a 19", so I think I'll just get that bad boy instead
    Blabba
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it

Metal Head
    NO 7 point 7, they are all sold out However they have a Sunday Team in a 19", so I think I'll just get that bad boy instead
    Even better, Sunday Team bike is sweet dude!!!!!! When will you get it? Will you have it by the June 19th race?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Saved1
    Even better, Sunday Team bike is sweet dude!!!!!! When will you get it? Will you have it by the June 19th race?
    God willing, I'm hoping to get a day or two on it to get the feel of it, but yeah, I'm hoping to have it ready to go by then, just depends on when IH will ship it out.
    Blabba
    Fat boy on a diet
    Don't try it