Are 66s overated?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Are 66s overated?

Can anybody, who has had experience , tell me how the 66s perform. I am torn between that and the new Shermans. The Fox 36 has 36 mm stanchions, Does that really improve handling all that much? How is the damping on the Fox and fork seals, too?

locked - time out
    I realize that you are not asking about the Shermans - but I've got to put in my .02 on them - I have been riding them for the last 2 years and love them - they have performed better / lasted longer than any other fork I have ridden (particularly my Marz. DJ 1 & Z1) not to knock Marzocchi - I've just been very happy with the 3 Shermans I have had.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LycraLizard
    Can anybody, who has had experience , tell me how the 66s perform. I am torn between that and the new Shermans. The Fox 36 has 36 mm stanchions, Does that really improve handling all that much? How is the damping on the Fox and fork seals, too?
    You are asking about the marzocchi 66, right? I have had one for a couple of weeks now, no problems until now of course! The problem is I have not ridden any comparable fork before, but I can tell you it is very plush as in marzocchi-plush and it reacts to the smallest bumps as marz always have. It is very stiff and steers where you want it to. It is heavy and it makes for a high front end. But I found it is quite ok to go uphill with it as long as you stay seated, not all that much bobbing. So no complaints so far. I think it is a great fork...

T.Dot Represent
    " reacts to the smallest bumps as marz always have"

my shitty DJ3 and all other SSVor SSVF dampened forks never react to small bumps!!! if u get a 66 get the right one, get the RC cuz u dotn want to et stuck with this!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member

66's rule!

Quote Originally Posted by stefT
    You are asking about the marzocchi 66, right? I have had one for a couple of weeks now, no problems until now of course! The problem is I have not ridden any comparable fork before, but I can tell you it is very plush as in marzocchi-plush and it reacts to the smallest bumps as marz always have. It is very stiff and steers where you want it to. It is heavy and it makes for a high front end. But I found it is quite ok to go uphill with it as long as you stay seated, not all that much bobbing. So no complaints so far. I think it is a great fork...
    I have a 66 on my hardtail with a reducer kit to make it 100mm , best fork I have ever ridden the weight isnt that bad considering the new dirtjump is a full pound heavier.
    The damping is top notch , no problems yet .
    I also have a 66rc and this fork is possibly the best fork on the market , no bob whil climbing , very stiff on DH runs , the only problem is it's a bit too tall for it's intended use .
    On most freeride bikes it jacks the front end up as much as a 888 would .
    The fork still rules
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    the weight isnt that bad considering the new dirtjump is a full pound heavier.
    Did you weigh yours? A preliminary owner weight from Europe was 6.1 pounds uncut. But however last week a reliable source weighed his at 7.3 pounds uncut. At 7+ pounds it is the same weight as a DJ, not lighter at all. What was yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member

66 weight

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Did you weigh yours? A preliminary owner weight from Europe was 6.1 pounds uncut. But however last week a reliable source weighed his at 7.3 pounds uncut. At 7+ pounds it is the same weight as a DJ, not lighter at all. What was yours?
    My 66 VF came in just under 6lbs cut to a 4in streerer the 66 RC my weigh a bit more
    but you can feel the differnce between my z150 ( 7lbs ) and my 66vf in weight while riding
    The bike I have the z150 on is very hard to jump and pull up in the front end , the VF is lighter and a bit earier .

I have most high end single crown froks produced to date , Rockshox Duel fork (Mike King's old fork ) , Marzocchi RAC, Manitou supernova , a bunch of odd Z1's and a Marzocchi Moto A , as well as my Z150 , and the 2 66's
    My point the 66 is the best single crown fork made to date !
    The FOX will be a contender but with the complicated valving and rebuild process
    I'll stick with my Marzocchi 's they rule no probles and always work great .
    You guys worry about weight too much , just go ride!
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr remember
    On most freeride bikes it jacks the front end up as much as a 888 would .
    wow, is this the 7" or 6" 66??? What is the diff between the RC and VF??? sorry I don't know much about the 66yet, but am interested in putting one on my fr bike because I'm sick of the limited steering, and no x-ups w/ a triple clamp.
    That fox36 might be pretty sweet, but I don't know if I would buy one in it's first year of production?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have the seven inch 66 RC on my VPFree and it makes the front probably as high as the 888, but in this case that's just fine. But it can rotate freely below the downtube, no problems there. Very good fork, really!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    wow, is this the 7" or 6" 66??? What is the diff between the RC and VF??? sorry I don't know much about the 66yet, but am interested in putting one on my fr bike because I'm sick of the limited steering, and no x-ups w/ a triple clamp.
    That fox36 might be pretty sweet, but I don't know if I would buy one in it's first year of production?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Well, it depends what "overrated" means to you. Personally, I'd want a DC fork that has the height and travel of a 7"er rather than a SC fork that has the travel of a 7"er, but the height of an 8"er. Preferences.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Members who have read this thread: 0