66rc or 888rc....- Mtbr.com
    Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005

66rc or 888rc....

ok, i am getting a transition dirtbag. i will be doin freeride and some dh. i have heard incredible things on the 66, but transition can get me the 888 for 200 dollars more. im not sure if the 66 will hold up as well in the long run, and since im not worring about wieght, then wouldnt goin dual crown be better than single crown for freeride? is the 888 worth 200 dollars more than the 66?

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by sreiman
    ok, i am getting a transition dirtbag. i will be doin freeride and some dh. i have heard incredible things on the 66, but transition can get me the 888 for 200 dollars more. im not sure if the 66 will hold up as well in the long run, and since im not worring about wieght, then wouldnt goin dual crown be better than single crown for freeride? is the 888 worth 200 dollars more than the 66?
    i would take the 66... for dh, mabye the 888, but for everything else 66 would be better b/c it's lighter and has a better turning radius...

btw, how far have you gotten towards building up that dirtbag?

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    the person im selling my old bike to will have the money by the end of the month. after that i need about a thousand more. hahaha

Schmeow Productions
    the person im selling my old bike to will have the money by the end of the month. after that i need about a thousand more. hahaha
    i got my wheels today.... worked all spring break... i need about 2000 more...

but the wheels are CK rear hub, and a hadley front hub, laced to tioga dh rims.... so hahaha

Schmeow Productions
    oh, btw... what's your build gonna be?

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    im just gona go stock, ill add on later when i have the money.

Schmeow Productions
    im just gona go stock, ill add on later when i have the money.
    dude, i have no idea how the hell i'm gonna get enough money for mine... but it's tight...

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    im 13 so im in the same position.

Schmeow Productions
    im 13 so im in the same position.
    the only reason that i have used to convince myself to buy "good" (not saying other stuff id bad, just that these are better) parts is that i will keep them for a long time... like for another 2 frames...

brooklyn bike rider
    Jan 2004
    i'd say that unless you're gonna be doing dedicated downpointing dh/fr riding,
    get the 66rc.

Renegade of Krunk
    66RC unless you are going to be downhilling it a lot. And I doubt you will do anything big enough to break the 66, looks tough as hell.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by E30Evolution
    looks tough as hell.
    ya... makes the slider look like a toothpick!

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    ya... makes the slider look like a toothpick!
    Hell, the rockshox judy on my old bike makes that thing look like a toothpick..Not really but for a DC it does.

I'm thinking about buying the 66rc so I can have the DJ1 as my dj/urban fork and then the 66 for trails and all. Arizona is rockier then hell..
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

Glad to Be Alive
    yes...get the DC
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I've got a 66RC 170mm and before I got to ride on it I hade the oppertunity to buy a Fox 40 RC for $600. After one weekend on the 66 I decided that I don't need anything else. So really all you get by paying the extra money for the 888 is maybe an inch more of travel, and a chance to lower the axel to crown height an inch, for even more money. If money is no object, then you can go for the 888 or maybe the FOX40 if you like FOX. But if you got something better to spend your money on then you can't go wrong with a 66.

66 works beautifully for DH/FR its a 888 minus an inch, I was up in the Soquel Demo Forest this weekend and I rallied it x2. Demo Forest isn't RedBull Rampage but its pretty gnar. More DH than FR but my 66 chewed it up. If you're 13, 66 is my recomendation
    Last edited by RobsterCraw; 04-03-2005 at 09:50 PM.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    I've got a 66RC 170mm and before I got to ride on it I hade the oppertunity to buy a Fox 40 RC for $600. After one weekend on the 66 I decided that I don't need anything else. So really all you get by paying the extra money for the 888 is maybe an inch more of travel, and a chance to lower the axel to crown height an inch, for even more money. If money is no object, then you can go for the 888 or maybe the FOX40 if you like FOX. But if you got something better to spend your money on then you can't go wrong with a 66.

66 works beautifully for DH/FR its a 888 minus an inch, I was up in the Soquel Demo Forest this weekend and I rallied it x2. Demo Forest isn't RedBull Rampage but its pretty gnar. More DH than FR but my 66 chewed it up. If you're 13, 66 is my recomendation
    for real! why would you want a dirtbag w/ a rediculously slack HA? if you get the 88 it would probably be the 170 anyway....

the 66 is the same fork (minus the top crowns) as the 888, just more versatile...