661 filter- Mtbr.com

Thread: 661 filter

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

661 filter

have u guys tried the filter spd wonder if there better on flats or clipsless

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Good SPD shoe. They're too stiff to just stick to flats IMO. Get 510's for that, then use the Filters for clips...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

squish is good
    I use filters as my flats shoes and I actually like the stiff sole. It took some getting used to but it's definitely flat compatible IMO. I haven't tried the 5.10's yet so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. I plan on giving them a shot this summer, just need to save up some bucks to buy a pair.
    Bike good, work bad.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I use filters as my flats shoes and I actually like the stiff sole. It took some getting used to but it's definitely flat compatible IMO. I haven't tried the 5.10's yet so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. I plan on giving them a shot this summer, just need to save up some bucks to buy a pair.
    I'm sure you've read this a bazzilion times, but 510's will change the way you ride.

I've been on a pair for a few years now, but I remember having growing pains with them. I got so used to re-positioning my feet while I was riding that when I got 510's it fvcked me up! You have to learn to put your feet on the pedals right where you want them... Your feet just don't move once your foot hits the pedal. Now I won't go back. I even feel strange just hopping on my pumptrack bike with normal shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    I'm sure you've read this a bazzilion times, but 510's will change the way you ride.

I've been on a pair for a few years now, but I remember having growing pains with them. I got so used to re-positioning my feet while I was riding that when I got 510's it fvcked me up! You have to learn to put your feet on the pedals right where you want them... Your feet just don't move once your foot hits the pedal. Now I won't go back. I even feel strange just hopping on my pumptrack bike with normal shoes.
    Yeah, that is the exactly what I've heard, over and over and over... part of the reason I'm planning on giving them a shot. I started riding clipless pretty early and swore by them for a long time. I decided to give flats a shot last year to try and improve my riding technique and had some pains getting used to them but I think I'm pretty proficient at this point with them. 5.10's seem to offer a kind of mid point between traditional flats and clipless, it sounds like your feet are pretty much stuck to the pedals but no worrying about release mechanisms. I definitely want to try them so I can at least see how I feel about it but I also like the aspect of not being quite so attached to the bike. Flats are rather liberating compared to clipless for DH/FR riding, make you ride smooooooth.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Do 5.10s have a stiffer sole than normal skate shoes? It seems like the arch of my foot starts to hurt after repeated runs from lack of support.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Members who have read this thread: 0