661 FF + Rockgardn Goggles = Fog...any ideas?- Mtbr.com
    long standing member

661 FF + Rockgardn Goggles = Fog...any ideas?

I've got a 661 Full Comp and some Rockgardn goggles and they fog up terribly (I'm specifically referring to summer use). The fit seems good, meaning the goggles fit into the helmet and they both fit on me just fine. But they fog up almost immediately. I'm not sure if the problem is helmet ventilation, or what. I haven't tried any anti-fog stuff, because I wasn't sure what to get and figured that wouldn't necessarily get to the root of the problem anyway. Any suggestions, I'm all ears.

mtbr member
    Are they fogging up when riding? Or when you're standing still with your goggles on?
    If they're fogging up when you're actually moving at a decent speed, you need some new goggles. It would have nothing, at least that I can see, to do with your helmet.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    Are they fogging up when riding? Or when you're standing still with your goggles on?
    Both. They start fogging when I'm standing still, then stay fogged up as I'm riding.
    If they're fogging up when you're actually moving at a decent speed, you need some new goggles.
    That sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Both. They start fogging when I'm standing still, then stay fogged up as I'm riding.

That sucks.
    Try the anti-fog spray or liquid before buying a new pair. It might help. I run pretty cheap goggles personally, and they do fog quite easily. I just take them off before starting a run and spin them around to get them to un-fog. Sometimes they stay a tad bit fogged during the first 10 sec of a run, but it usually goes away.
    Try the liquid junk. If that doesn't work, pony up for a new pair. I've stuck with my $30 Spy Tioga's for 2 years.

PNW rider
    although the Rockgardn goggles have an anti fog coating I have found most goggles will fog when you wear them without going anywhere. I use the anti fog cloth by Smith and that does the trick for me, especially since I wear glasses under my goggles.

hope that helps for you. I have a hard time thinking a new set of goggles will do better

3 "fiddy" for short
    I've stuck with my $30 Spy Tioga's for 2 years.
    I have the Spys as well. Cheap and no fog issues.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_likes_bikes
    ...I have found most goggles will fog when you wear them without going anywhere.
    Just to be clear, it's not like I'm sitting around for minutes at a time with these goggles on. I keep them off until I'm about to start a run. As soon as they're on, within a couple of breaths, they start fogging up.

I have ridden them for entire runs and they do not clear completely, and sometimes they re-fog up. I'm not a super-fast rider, but my speed tends to be in the 8-20+ MPH range depending on the terrain, and they're should be sufficient wind/air ventilation going on.
    It would have nothing, at least that I can see, to do with your helmet.
    The reason I mentioned the helmet is because the Full Comp does not have great breathing ventilation out the front. So I'm wondering if the hot air from my breathing isn't leaving the front of the full face all the way and it's drifting up through the vents at the bottom of the goggles and fogging them up.
    Try the anti-fog spray or liquid before buying a new pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_likes_bikes
    I use the anti fog cloth by Smith and that does the trick for me, especially since I wear glasses under my goggles.
    I'll give those things a try first.

sixsixtysix
    Old trick I used to use for my ITech's when playing hockey.

Dawn dish soap, take a little bit, put it on your fingers and rub it onto the inside and outside of the lens. Let it sit for 5 min or so and then buff it off with a soft cloth (something that wont scratch the lens)

That should last a good couple weeks depending on how moist the air is where you are or if you're riding in the rain/snow.

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix

Dawn dish soap, take a little bit, put it on your fingers and rub it onto the inside and outside of the lens. Let it sit for 5 min or so and then buff it off with a soft cloth (something that wont scratch the lens)

That should last a good couple weeks depending on how moist the air is where you are or if you're riding in the rain/snow.
    Good tip! I picked up this goop from a dive shop and it works excellent. Now that I think about it, it has the same consistancy as dish soap!

Professional Troll
    try breathing differently. if I can, I breathe out my nose when I'm standing still. That what the hot air goes down and away from my goggles. Then once your riding and breathing hard it shouldn't really matter.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix

No fog, just BUBBLES!!

mistereckz
    It sounds like it is about the "breathing room" of your helmet. I was using a pryme helmet that was maybe a little small for me with a pair of spy goggles. Instant fogging issues, even when moving. Switched to a gyro remedy and no problems what so ever. That being said, the difference in the mouth guard area between the two helmets is substantial. By the way, anti-fog stuff didn't seem to make any diffenence at all.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    as a cheap alternative to defogging gels and wipes and stuff, you can just spit in/on your lens and wipe it off with something soft. works well enough for snokeling

Freeriding Feline
    The dishsoap thing works, I've done that.
    RainX does too, the stuff for your car windshield. That actually lasted a little longer.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistereckz
    It sounds like it is about the "breathing room" of your helmet.
    This is what I think it is (but what do I know? ). The helmet fits me fine, but the ventilation is pretty bad. Notice that the ventilation "slots" are not directly in front of where your mouth is, but to the side.

So hot air definitely builds up inside the mouth guard there. I even thought about drilling out some holes right in the front part of the mouthguard, but figured that'll probably compromise the integrity a little (ya' think?). I'd rather not have to buy a new helmet.

I was hoping to hear from other 661 Full Comp owners to see if they have any issues with their goggles. Oh well.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I tear the foam off the top vents of my RG goggles, they will still fog up if I'm just sitting, but once I'm moving again - VIOLA - no fog.

Members who have read this thread: 0