66 Friction issue- Mtbr.com
    No Fear

66 Friction issue

Im having problems with my 66 RC2X (06).

It doesn’t go through its travel smooth . Has for than usual friction while playing .
    First when I changed the fluid it occurred .But not that much to be noticeable . Only a little stop at the last paces when expanding .After half a year Just suddenly .yeah suddenly with in a day the friction was so high . it wouldn’t play normally very stiff when wanted to start travel also through its course .

I had used a 10 Wt. oil in it ((STP)). Then I changed the oil again this time used Citroen 7 Wt. I have tried it on nearly every thing .Manitou’s ‘ Rock Shox’s ‘ Marz’s ‘ Fox’s ‘RST’ DNM and…Both on Forks and rear shocks.

It had proven to be a good suspension fluid although it’s a non synthetic ( mineral ) fluid to be used in Power steering systems. Produced for Citroen vehicles.

I have one question here .Can a wrong fluids chemicals wear out the Teflon coat on the sliding bushings ? If so how can I get those bushings out and the new ones in .( indeed getting the bushes are a problem too . as im in Iran ).

But if only the seals are to be changed .( hope to be so ) I have ordered some from Singapore and will receive them in a month .

mtbr member
    Try using suspension fork fluid. That's a pretty good idea eh?

No Fear
    The first one i usd ((STP)) was a susspension fluid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SABER_MTB
    The first one i usd ((STP)) was a susspension fluid.

STP doesn't make a suspension oil. Use moto suspension fork fluid.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Use motorcycle fork oil, but apart from that, 10wt is real heavy oil for a marzocchi. Not every manufacture uses a standard viscosity either, so one manufacturer's "10wt" might be closer to another's "15wt".

This shouldn't have anything to do with stiction, but I would definitely say that 10wt oil in a marzocchi would lead to some harsh performance. Some of us switch to 5wt oil with all of our marzocchis, as it just seems to have better high speed performance.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bum Buzzer
    there was a problem with the spring guides binding at the base of the spring that requires some shaving/sanding/means of reducing the OD of the guide. However that should have been notable from day one, and not show up at later time.

Original post was unclear to me as to age/use of fork so this is a possibility, but need clarification.

otherwise, you may have tweaked a damping rod and it's binding.

Bike Ninja |||
    Very possible that that fluid has either expanded and or ate away at the seals and bushings in your fork.

Things are made to function in certain environments... In respect to the innards of Forks and Shocks, They are made to function properly in certain Fluids. Seals and Bushings are made to work in Completely Synthetic Suspension Oil not mineral oil, not hydraulic brake fluid, not power steering fluid, not antifreeze....

You may have done some serious damage to your fork.

If the bushings are gnarled up you need the proper Bushing Puller / press tool from marzocchi. I just ordered a set for my shop, and let me tell you they are expensive, and marzocchi really doesn't like selling them (they prefer that you send them their forks, and have a professional work on them).

What I suggest you do is do an Immediate Flush of your fork, Inspect the bushings, seals, stanchions, and damping rods. Fill that sucker up with Authentic Suspension Oil that is MADE FOR SUSPENSION and see if the problem persists.

report back to us then.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

No Fear
    Thanks Choofoojoo.

I figured the problem out . I was reading an article about Citroen fluids and it gave me a clue. It said using transmission fluids cause Teflon wear Becuase they decrease friction to prevent cclutch slip. And I used such a fluid in my 66 before also the bushings are Teflon coated so . …….

I wanted to ask how I could get the bushings out and the new ones in . You told me it needs a special tool .

Hope changing my seals would solve the problem . In other case I have to sell it for a lower price and get a new fork.

No matter that another pay for a new experience.

Members who have read this thread: 0