66 Or 888- Mtbr.com

Thread: 66 Or 888

mtbr member

66 Or 888

so i have a crappy DOT and always bottoming out so i want a new fork. i think a 66 looks good on a stinky but idk which one would be better. if i got a 888 i could get a little more travel but i dont know if it will make that much of a difference. wat would u suggest getting. and dont say a boxxer. i want a marzocch fork and nothing else
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

mtbr member

depends on what type of riding.

Are you going to be doing some trail riding? Or mostly dh/freeride stuff. The triple 8has a crappy turning radius as any DC fork. SC fork are more nimble and sharper turning radius .
    I got rid of my DOT too it is crap. I put a triple 8 on mine because i like stability of DC forks.

i hate to ride uphill
    I was in pretty much the same situation as wickerman. I had an 05 drop off triple, and replaced it with an 04 888r. The 66 would have been enough travel for me, but just like wickerman i like to have the assurance that a dc gives you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Larry104
    so i have a crappy DOT and always bottoming out so i want a new fork. i think a 66 looks good on a stinky but idk which one would be better. if i got a 888 i could get a little more travel but i dont know if it will make that much of a difference. wat would u suggest getting. and dont say a boxxer. i want a marzocch fork and nothing else
    [rant] Does it bother anyone else when people shortcut their words? How much longer could it take to type out what as opposed to wat or you instead of u? And what ever happened to capitalizing? I had the unfortunate pleasure of working with many freshman college students while I was in Graduate school. Their writing ability is horrible. We all make mistakes with spelling, grammar and punctuation, but come on. They write papers like they are posting on a forum. If any of you short cutters plan on going to college, give up the contractions and shortcuts and start relearning how to type. [/rant]

Back to your thread, I was in the same boat and decided on the 66 because I really didn't like the limited turn radius of the dual crowns, and I am not going too huge on the hucking, I dig slower technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Sorry about the thread-hijack here but I just found it funny and ironic that someone who named himself "dwnhlldav" would make such a statement about "shortcutting" words.

I have a 888 and it works well. The limited turning radius catches me off guard once in a while though.

[QUOTE=dwnhlldav][rant] Does it bother anyone else when people shortcut their words? How much longer could it take to type out what as opposed to wat or you instead of u? And what ever happened to capitalizing? I had the unfortunate pleasure of working with many freshman college students while I was in Graduate school. Their writing ability is horrible. We all make mistakes with spelling, grammar and punctuation, but come on. They write papers like they are posting on a forum. If any of you short cutters plan on going to college, give up the contractions and shortcuts and start relearning how to type. [/rant]

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    [rant] Does it bother anyone else when people shortcut their words? How much longer could it take to type out what as opposed to wat or you instead of u? And what ever happened to capitalizing? I had the unfortunate pleasure of working with many freshman college students while I was in Graduate school. Their writing ability is horrible. We all make mistakes with spelling, grammar and punctuation, but come on. They write papers like they are posting on a forum. If any of you short cutters plan on going to college, give up the contractions and shortcuts and start relearning how to type. [/rant]

sorry that stuff belongs in the XC forum
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    both are great forks....I just sold my 66 rc and put it on a bran new stinky...........I was really impressed by the balance of the bike and how well it turns

with that said........I would still get the DC fork..........888
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Hisforever
    If you are you doing Big hucks or maybe high speed stuff you might want to try a 888

or

If you R doing some Sick x/up jumps, or technical, tight riding. Then maybe the 66 is for you.

The SC forks have come a long way. The differences vary a little in weight and a bunch in the turning radius dept..
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Spot Mayhem
    Orbea Rallon
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    sorry that stuff belongs in the XC forum
    Why is that?

When I made my email address about 8 years ago downhilldave was taken. That was the closest variation I could get.

mtbr member
    you should get an 888, and if you want ill sell you the 888 off my judge, .

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Be very realistic with yourself and what exactly you're going to do with your bike. The 66 is a LOT of fork. I mean it's massive. I just put a 66 SL on my new ride and took it out for a little urban last night. It absolutely laughed at the 4 footers to flat I was doing last night. Wasn't even working the fork. I spied a couple drops in the 6-7' range to little or no tranny last night that I'll be hitting soon (just breaking in the new bike, getting it tuned in adjusted) and I have absolute faith in the fork after what I saw from it so far. Not trying to steer you away from a 888 just reinforce how capable a 66 is. Also, consider, possibly above all, the A to C height of the two forks and what suits your frame and riding style. Both forks are cool but there's around 30 mm A to C diff between the two (around 1 deg of HT angle) that could be the make or break.

mtbr member
    I actually have both forks. An '06 888 on my Sunday and an '06 66 on my Nomad. Both forks are extremely capable of pretty much anything you throw at them. So it really depends on what your intended use is going to be.

Get the 66 if you plan on doing mostly trail riding, AM, FR, Urban etc. I just watched "NWD Unchained" and one of those huckers was doing very large hucks (probably over 15') on his 66. This is an example of how big the fork can go.

Get the 888 if you plan on doing any kind of racing, high speed or high consequence riding. You can feel a stiffness difference, mostly when braking very hard. Plus the extra travel will/can save your @ss when you get a little out of line.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member

Back to your thread, I was in the same boat and decided on the 66 because I really didn't like the limited turn radius of the dual crowns, and I am not going too huge on the hucking, I dig slower technical stuff.
    I've been to college, got a gazillion degree and certs, yes certs as in acronym for certificates, and I do at times shortcut everything.
    Smoke a fatty, chill, and I know young'uns are hrble splrs but juss iggy it

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    I want to trade my 05' 66rc for an 04/05 888rc with flat crowns or a 888rc2x!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Why is that?

When I made my email address about 8 years ago downhilldave was taken. That was the closest variation I could get.
    spellin doesn't workz heres

Yay! Bikes !
    if your only complaint is that you are always bottoming out, you should check your oil height. THAT (and possibly being undersprung) is why you are bottoming. Raise your oil height to the highest Marzocchi recommend for your fork and you should get a ncie progressive end-stroke.

If you have a top of the line 888 or a 66 and your oil levels are too low you will continue to bottom out. Learn to tune your gear before dumping it for new "better" stuff.

Without knowing how you ride I would say the 66 would be better for a Stinky.

Reading posts full of typos, made up abbreviations and e-code sucks is a pain.
    SMT, it has nothing to do with the "xc forum" and everything to do with either sounding intelligent or sounding lazy and ignornat. Take your pick.

You can always tell when school is out as the content posted on mtbr, this forum in particular, drops to mostly crap.

How long does one have to study to get their gazillionth degree?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.

SMT, it has nothing to do with the "xc forum" and everything to do with either sounding intelligent or sounding lazy and ignornat. Take your pick.

You can always tell when school is out as the content posted on mtbr, this forum in particular, drops to mostly crap.

So it isn't just me, thanks.

It can also be seen in the way that dude with the Ultimate DH bike got annoyed with all the opinions. I don't really want to here that "That 4rk suckz cuz yadda yadda yadda..." that just doesn't sound like an informed opinion, or one worth reading. We all use acronyms, and thatís fine but it gets a bit ridiculous when you're trying to read and the poster can't even string together a coherent sentence.

I'm on 7 years, no gazillion here

mtbr member

the Drop Off triple is a very low end Marzo at best. There are some RST Dc forks that put it to shame.
    The only way to make the fork peform well, uis like you say, change the oil to the weight, heavier sprig, and also SuperT cartridges, which you're getting into serious $$ so why bother and just buy another fork. If you weigh 100 pounds, the DOT is a great fork.
    It takes a zazillion hours of studying to get your gazillionth degree.

mtbr member
    no thats not the only reason. it also has very fast rebound. i tried putting in heavier oil and it made no differnece. also, i added oil and it made it immpossible to bottom. it would just stop like an inch away from the point where it was supposed to stop. so i took some out and it stops at the right point now. i just dont like it cause it has no adjustments and it doesnt feel to good.

aircooled VW FTW

mtbr member
    i abbreviated 3 words. and im not an idiot i know how to spell. this isnt english class here

aircooled VW FTW

mtbr member
    im gonna get a 888. marzocchi all the way man ill never ride anything else

aircooled VW FTW

Freeriding Feline
    Amazing Larry, you know you're going to need that 888 at Diablo! You guys are always hitting everything so you might need that extra travel.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    the Drop Off triple is a very low end Marzo at best. There are some RST Dc forks that put it to shame.
    The only way to make the fork peform well, uis like you say, change the oil to the weight, heavier sprig, and also SuperT cartridges, which you're getting into serious $$ so why bother and just buy another fork. If you weigh 100 pounds, the DOT is a great fork.
    It takes a zazillion hours of studying to get your gazillionth degree.
    I said to check/raise the oil level to prevent his bottoming issue. He'd only need to change springs if he is a heavy guy, and a Super T cartridge can be had for about $100 +/-.

That is certainly not "serious $$" to get a huge improvment, and WAY less than the cost of ANY new fork. I was trying to give the poster an option he might not have thought of.

That said, I'm sure he'll like the 888 much better.

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat7
    Amazing Larry, you know you're going to need that 888 at Diablo! You guys are always hitting everything so you might need that extra travel.

good call superkat!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat7
    i wouldint say every one but ya a 888 is a good choice
    Signatures are for losers

Disco-Superfly
    I vote for 888, I just love dual crown....

And you can bottom any fork really, my buddy just got an 888VF and the oil height is normal, and I can bottom it without taking the wheel off the ground... (put all your weight on the front and push down HARD and tap the brake at the same time) But it will hardly bottom while riding unless you land awkwardly.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    I said to check/raise the oil level to prevent his bottoming issue. He'd only need to change springs if he is a heavy guy, and a Super T cartridge can be had for about $100 +/-.

That is certainly not "serious $$" to get a huge improvment, and WAY less than the cost of ANY new fork. I was trying to give the poster an option he might not have thought of.

That said, I'm sure he'll like the 888 much better.
    I called Marzo Canada and to swap everything out for SuperT guts was 350incl labour.
    I was going to do it, then a 05 triple 8 rc came up for 450 wiith new lowers and just serviced by marzo with new seals ,oil etc. so for 100 bucks more i bought it.
    I was at the right place,at the right time obviously.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode a 170mm Scott Nitrous with a 2005 66rc. It was fantastic. I now have a Giant Faith with a 888RC2x 200mm 2006. I would dought whether you would feel much difference betwen a 66 and a 888 if both are 170mm. Going 200mm on a Stinky (guessing that it is a 2006 Stinky with 170mm) would not be the best balance of travel. The 2006 66 is better due to the lower crowns than the 2005.

Glad to Be Alive

You can always tell when school is out as the content posted on mtbr, this forum in particular, drops to mostly crap.?
    nah...it is annoying if there are a lot of them......I mis-speel words all the time, but you know the word I am writing....it is when you do 2 or 3 words a sentence that gets annoying

I have a hard time figuringing out E code, but I still embrace it.....

And yes .....when you start complaining about spelling then you belong in the XC or Poli forum....here we are a bunch of drunkards who loved to ride and don't care about speelin

Members who have read this thread: 0