6.1d compared to other rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

6.1d compared to other rims

how would you compare the dt swiss 6.1d rims to other rims in the market?
    such as mavic, arrow, atomlab, and many more.....
    i currently got those rims on my bike, and after reading all the reviews negative reviews on how they dent easy.

im curious what you guys say about them. How long would they last, pluz they are pretty new. But now im having seconds about them...

banned
    Some people like them, some dont. I know from personal experiance that they dent very easy, but if you are a smooth rider, they could last longer. I am currently riding mavic 729s and in two years they have been trued once. No dents or flat spots. The atomlab pimps and pimplights are also very strong and well made, and are an excelent price.

my .02

StraightOuttaCompton
    my friend rides with the 5.1 and he likes it. he has a small dent but it is unnoticable. When he got them he wasn't very smooth compared to now also. The 6.1 should be fine.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    6.1's, I hammered the $hit outa mine at bootleg. 2 runs and they look like a hit a bunch of curbs and then beat them with a hammer (still going strong though). Granted Id prefer to dent then crack but my syncros dps 32's have been going strong all season.
    I still like the ex 729's though thats a beef rim!!! Buddy hit so hard the rim cracked on both sides and buckled up but then again I think any rim would take the grunt of some of our rides.
    6.1's are a good rim, nothing to second guess there, they definently have positives and perform nicely. Mavic ex 729's are another great choice as well, dont dent easy and strong.
    Forl ighter weight the dt 5.1's qnd mavic 721's .
    If you have them roll them they are a good rim, most rims on the market are pretty good nowadays. Personal preference in most cases.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

N* Bomber Crew
    I've heard sketchy things about 6.1D's.

For the same price, you can get Mavic 721's which are light and strong as well. I would get 721's over 6.1, or 5.1D's.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    when they were first released they did have huge problems,bending easy and denting or dinging easily.

but after the amount of complaints they toughened up the material and are now on par with other rims for strength.

they are also the same rim used in the fr2350 wheelset so also look for reviews on these.

i went for some and although i have no decent time on them yet they look very nice compared to my old mtx.

mtbr member
    I have those rims, they do kinda dent pretty easy. But on the flip side they are pretty strong. I dont know how I havent bent them yet. I also was looking at the A lab PIMP's. I hear those are really strong. If you get the DT's, just keep an eye on the spoke tension. Like any other wheel.
    '08 Turner DHR :)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwater racing1013
    I have those rims, they do kinda dent pretty easy. But on the flip side they are pretty strong. I dont know how I havent bent them yet... If you get the DT's, just keep an eye on the spoke tension.

stellar review

Frequent Flyer
    Jan 2004
    DT's are junk, I blasted through three 6.1s pretty quick before I switched to MTXs. MTX 33s are a solid DH/FR rim, and 729s are awesome too. I've been beating the p!ss out of my 721s on my hardtail for about a year, and they are still straight as an arrow.

In my opinion, DT 6.1s are some of the crappiest, overpriced rims out there. Don't waste your money.

Well Biked
    My 6.1s are fairly new, so are probably the "stronger" ones. Even so, I have found a few dings and dents on the rear, which is something I never found on my last couple set of wheels.

Even worse I feel, is the difficulty in mounting tires. "Poor tolerances" is what one poster said above, and I have to agree. I really regret choosing this rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    maybe i just should sell my wheel set to sum1 who wants a 26in single speed, since he is a pretty big guy.. they would make excellent trail wheels for him

then i could just get sum alex dh rims, such as SUPRA WING (DISC)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Same as everybody else - yes the DT Swiss 6.1s dent like a mofo. Never had any dents in my Sun Singletrack front wheel in two years of riding. Then I replaced the front rim with the 6.1 and I now have 5 or 6 large dents after 1 season riding. That being said, it's still reasonably true and doesn't have any hops. It's also sub 600 g compared to the other rims cited above (i.e. Mavic EX729 = 700 g).

Don't plan on using the 6.1 for a ghetto tubeless wheel.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I've heard sketchy things about 6.1D's.

For the same price, you can get Mavic 721's which are light and strong as well. I would get 721's over 6.1, or 5.1D's.
    true dat....Me would get the mavic 823's and go tubeless
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Ditto what SMT said above. I bought some 6.1's when they first came out and proceeded to ding the crap out of them at Mammoth on their maiden outing. Even with the rumors that the new ones are stronger, I wouldn't buy them again and would just get some 823's and go tubeless.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    any rims who is not well laced will dent easely ... my 823 dented on my 3rd run at my first race last season ... on 6 pair it was the first time it happen... but im sold to Mavic for rims, i think 823 are light and strong, i dont even know why i should wonder switching to an other brand ..

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    true dat....Me would get the mavic 823's and go tubeless
    The 823's aren't even comparable to the 6.1D's, I suggested the 721's to at least level the playing field to some degree...
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    well changed me mind,absolute flaming nightmare to get tyres of,and managed to snap 2 soma steel insert levers and put a steel tyre lever through the rim itself.

goodbye dt and hello mavic.

Members who have read this thread: 0