55 or 66- Mtbr.com

Thread: 55 or 66

mtbr member

55 or 66

What fork would you guys recommend for a Bottlerocket? I don't want to make this a DH bike as I have a Demo8. I want to be able to pedal it up hill but have a blast on the downhill. Seems like the 55ATA is a good choice but maybe you guys would have other ideas.

dontcha?
    I'd look at the Fox 36 and Lyrik also if you plan on pedaling uphill... 55ATA is all new this year so there aren't that many reviews on it and who knows what sort of issues will pop up.,.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Outcast
    Dude, I don't recommend that you buy the ATA version of either of those marzocchi forks untill is have been proven, by statistical success, that marz. has solved the problems with their ATA and PAR systems.

mtbr member
    If your a Marzocchi man like me Id go for the 55 as they are an "All Mountain" fork... al-though captain spalding makes a pretty good point. But then again, it is Marzocchi.
    '08 Turner DHR :)

mtbr member
    I'd hold off on the 55 cuz I've read some problems regarding it's Maxle like front thru-axle. Same goes for the new 66 cuz they share the same front axle design. If u want Marzocchi reliability I'd say look for the '06 66rc2x (555AC) because the AC height is only 5mm higher than the 55ATA. Although it doensn't have travel adjust, it gives you the high speed compression adjustment, which I think is more important cuz you have a bottlerocket.

I have this fork on my KHS FR2000 which I use more for AM/light Freeride. Like you I also have a bike for more extreme stuff MC Shockwave 9.5.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwater racing1013
    But then again, it is Marzocchi.
    Oh yea, it'a a marzocchi. New model. Prone to not live up to it's expectations. Bound to go back to marz. to get fixed more than once a year. Doomed to be resold for pennies because the model is a failure.

Oh yea, it's a marzocchi.

General Rabble-Rouser
    I rode with a Preston kitted out with a 55 coil this weekend

The owner of the 55 just wasn't that impressed with it's performance taking bigger hits. It bottomed quite badly a few times, even with the landings dialed, and the compression at max. It did ride like a dream, so it really makes a better trail fork than freeride. He'll be swapping it for his trusty 66 RC2 coil

For the record, my 08 66 RC3 is preforming excellent, despite some other issues popping up, and it climbs pretty well considering it's a DH fork

mtbr member
    Thanks all! I'm not opposed to other brands just been running my 888rc2 and had no problems with it. Don't know much about the other brands single crown stuff so any and all info you guys can share will be a big help.

Outcast
    a little clarification: I'm dissing the ATA air forks, not the coil versions. And I have my reasons; I bought a 66sl ata fork, and experienced most of the problems they had. Marzocchi has given me no faith that they have changed anything in that model for the '08 year.
    Karupshun, it's possible that your friend's fork does not have enough oil in it.

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    a little clarification: I'm dissing the ATA air forks, not the coil versions. And I have my reasons; I bought a 66sl ata fork, and experienced most of the problems they had. Marzocchi has given me no faith that they have changed anything in that model for the '08 year.
    Karupshun, it's possible that your friend's fork does not have enough oil in it.

That's what we first thought, after FreerideForever's 66 came so low...I haven't talked to him about it since Sunday, but he was going to drop the lowers to check.

I think we were just asking too much from the 55

Pivotal figure
    I'm running a 55R on my hardtail and a 66SL on my Preston right now. The 55 feels OK for now but it's still new AND it's on a hardtail so I'm not abusing it as hard as the 66. I was also a bit leery about trying a new model but the price was right. The ATA is quite a bit more $$ though, that would make me think twice about trying it.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A lyrik coil would suit the bill just fine... Love that fork.

Thunder Chunky
    Damn dude now a bottle rocket??? I though you just bought a Jakal too? You still have your old Kona on top of those 3? lol

mtbr member
    Nope the kona is gone.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    Nope the kona is gone.
    lol ok just amking sure...so you going to keep both the jakal and the demo 8for dh then the br for am? or are you going to decide which dh rig you like better and sell the other?

StraightOuttaCompton
    get a fox 36van or lyrik, 55 isnt proven, yet.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Not sure yet. The BR will be more FR/AM so prob. keep them all. Still trying to get the right fork picked out. Now I'm looking at the Fox 36 talas for the BR.

Thunder Chunky
    Not sure yet. The BR will be more FR/AM so prob. keep them all. Still trying to get the right fork picked out. Now I'm looking at the Fox 36 talas for the BR.
    I've only ridden a friends Fox 32 Talas on his XC bile... Was definetly nice but I didnt really play around with any of the adjustments.

mtbr member
    because its a new fork, and they havnt had time to work out all the bugs, O it hurts me to say this but get a fox 36... kill me now
    '08 Turner DHR :)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the 36's are dialed as of 08. totally amazing forks, incredibly stiff, plush, have that nice linear feel but don't bottom out due to really nice ramping. If you have the $$ for it go for a 36, if not, a lyrik should fit the bill

Committed
    I'd say go for the 55.
    I've had one (55 ATA) on my RFX for about a month now and I'm loving it.
    Super stiff, maybe even more so than my 06 66RC2X.
    No issue with wind down, no axle problems.
    Very smooth stroke, that is nicely progressive.
    It is hard to bottom out, but not impossible.
    Light weight, very sturdy construction and a nice low a/c height ( a good inch+ shorter than the 170mm 66).

mtbr member
    Thanks again all for the help! Just placed my order for the Bottlerocket, 08 36Talas rc2 and Marzocchi Roco TST. Just the start of my build but we have a long winter to buy the other parts.

mtbr member
    Thanks again all for the help! Just placed my order for the Bottlerocket, 08 36Talas rc2 and Marzocchi Roco TST. Just the start of my build but we have a long winter to buy the other parts.

Nice dude, I was just about to say get the 36 my buddy has a BR with a 36 Van and it rides awesome its a perfect fork for the BR the Talas will be kick ass with the Zoke TST. I just got a Zoke 55 for my Preston so how that works out... Now you need some, Codes, Holzfellers OCT Cranks, some 823 or 729 laced to Hopes..

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    ..The owner of the 55 just wasn't that impressed with it's performance taking bigger hits. It bottomed quite badly a few times, even with the landings dialed..
    a fork that bottoms out is low on oil, no exceptions. with the proper oil height, it will not bottom out, the law of physics proves it to be...

mtbr member
    i have an 08 66ata and it sucks it has some play in it that will drive you crazy. i called marzocchi and they said ride it. i would love to but it feels like my front end is going to fall apart

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    I'd say go for the 55.
    I've had one (55 ATA) on my RFX for about a month now and I'm loving it.
    Super stiff, maybe even more so than my 06 66RC2X.
    No issue with wind down, no axle problems.
    Very smooth stroke, that is nicely progressive.
    It is hard to bottom out, but not impossible.
    Light weight, very sturdy construction and a nice low a/c height ( a good inch+ shorter than the 170mm 66).
    1Soulrider,

I am looking very seriously at the 55 ATA. What type of riding have you been doing with it? How much do you weigh? Thanks.

mtbr member
    i would say go with 36 van....i have the 07 and it is really nice.....66 rc3 is really nice too, but it still is bugging me how loud it is....i dont know about the 55

mtbr member
    What fork would you guys recommend for a Bottlerocket? I don't want to make this a DH bike as I have a Demo8. I want to be able to pedal it up hill but have a blast on the downhill. Seems like the 55ATA is a good choice but maybe you guys would have other ideas.
    I am a proud owner of a 55 ETA on my RFX, works great for what I use it for, aggro trail to some FR/DH. However, if you plan on doing a lot of jumping, I would probably go for the RS Lyric coil instead like others said.

I'll probably always ride Marz, cause I just love that buttery dampening feel and stiffness, but it does blow through its travel on bigger jumps/drops >5', for me at least at about 215lb ride weight, even with significant preload and compression. I have noticed the RS stuff to be a little more progressive and less prone to "bottoming out" than Fox or Marz. I think Marz 55 is the way to go if you ride pretty aggressively, but stay on the ground most of the time and if you do a lot of prolonged climbing to get to your favorite descents the ETA is the way to go. But for drops/jumps >5-10 feet (vertical) or more, I would definetely opt for the 66 for bigger riders or Lyric, Fox Van for lighter riders. I would only use today's air forks/shocks for the big stuff if you are <175lbs and are pretty smooth with the trannies.

My 2cents.

JG

Members who have read this thread: 0