mtbr member

510 or Teva?

since they're around the same price.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Tried and true.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    51051051051051051051051051051051051051051051051051 05105105105105105105105105105105105105105105105105 10510510510510510510510510510510510510510510510510 510510510510510

: )

I can only speak on the Teva Links I just purchased a few months ago... I love them. Fit great, hold my foot well... and with the pedals I've got, I haven't slipped yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had the 5.10 freeriders for 1.5 years. It was a great shoe. Softer sole than the tevas. I have had the tevas for about 3 months. Stiffer/thicker sole. Havent tried the impacts. So far happy with the tevas.

brake later, pedal sooner
    impacts

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    impacts
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Freeriders.

Wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Really can't go wrong with either one

mtbr member
    Impacts!! ...although after a year mine are falling apart :/ a bit dissapointing, but just must've got a dodgy one, or treated them really bad :P (leaving them wet in the garage for a few days)
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe! :)

RideDirt
    Got both impacts and freerides ! Wont settle for anything else .

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmer View Post
    Impacts!! ...although after a year mine are falling apart :/ a bit dissapointing, but just must've got a dodgy one, or treated them really bad :P (leaving them wet in the garage for a few days)
    I ad mine for aout 6 months or so and the soles are comming unglued.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Pivotal figure
    5.10 are very good with warranty service. I had the original Freeride shoes which had problems with the sole separating. They replaced them with the new version. As for preference, from what I've seen of the Teva's they're very similar to the Freeriders so it would really come down to whether you prefer the lighter shoe (Freeride/Links) or the heftier Impact.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

9 lives
    5.10 karvers (ladies)
    durable, grippy comfy
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    5.10s for riding, although the Tevas do look good for walking around.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    Teva Links for AM
    5.10 Impacts for DH

I have both. They are both good in all categories, but both have their areas where they have the edge. 5.10's strength is UNBEATABLE GRIP. Teva's strengths are everything else: stiffness, protection, breathability, weight, and walkability.
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't know about the Teva Links or Pinners but I've been rock'n 5.10s for almost a decade and no complaints. Obviously not the same pair of course (actually 1st pair I got were Intense branded made by 5.10 back in November 02'). I've heard positive things about the Tevas though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    5.10 are very good with warranty service.
    Hmm on their website it says: "We guarantee our Five Ten Products to be free of manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship to the original buyer for one year from the date of purchase and/or life of shoe. We consider shoes having been or needing to be resoled to have reached the end of their reasonable life and are not eligible for warranty replacement."

Does this mean if the sole is falling off then they won't replace it?? Or just if the sole is very worn?
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe! :)

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmer View Post
    Hmm on their website it says: "We guarantee our Five Ten Products to be free of manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship to the original buyer for one year from the date of purchase and/or life of shoe. We consider shoes having been or needing to be resoled to have reached the end of their reasonable life and are not eligible for warranty replacement."

Does this mean if the sole is falling off then they won't replace it?? Or just if the sole is very worn?
    I would hope worn, because let's say the glue fails after a week and the sole starts falling off. That should be warranty.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been on 5.10 Karevers and Freeriders and been very happy about it. There's a wee bit of rubber lifting on the Freeriders but it never got any worse.

mtbr member
    so.... 510s tend to come apart but are still the popular choice? I will poll this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Pivotal figure
    The original version of the Freeriders had a sole that glued on with a strip around the outside edge (just like most sneakers). The problem was that the soles would separate at the edges and peel off, fairly quick in some cases. The new version is more like the Impacts, with a continuous sole that wraps around to the upper. The original FR's are the only one's I've seen that had any problems. My Karver's are 2 years now and still going strong (the sole is wearing a bit thin but that's all). Had a set of Impact's that I ran for over 2 years as well and I have a set of Sam Hill's that are 3 years old and still in great shape. I ride flats on all my bikes so they see plenty of riding time....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Guys, don't go looking for a problem that's not really there. the spirit of the warranty is that if the shoes are defective they will replace them. If you wear them out, and they served you well, you replace them. There are many thousands of pairs of 5.10s are out there right now, and there wouldn't be if they were junk.

- Rob

AKA shitbird
    Here's my review as I've had good experience on both

I have had several pairs of impact lows and most recently the Sam Hills. Not to long ago I did get some Teva's and while I do REALLY like the way they fit, they just don't stick to the pedals quite as well as the 5.10's. I haven't slipped a pedal wearing the Teva but it just doesn't doesn't feel as secure as the 5.10's.

What I've found myself doing lately is wearing the teva's as an all day shoe and for riding pump track/ dirt jump. Sticking to the 5.10 for trail rides and DH.

In a perfect world I would have the Teva shoe with 5.10 tread. The Teva's feel much lighter and I have a feeling that the shoe will stay together longer as it doesn't have the big exposed stitching like the Impacts do near the ankle.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i have had a few pair of 5-10 and love the way they fit,,,, they are very comfortable to wear, and offer great amounts of grip, to me the only downside to them is they absorb water like a sponge, my latest pair are just over 12 months old, and the stitching has started to come undone arround the top . i have also heard other complaints of them falling apart.
    the teva links are a good shoe, but the most common complaint with these is the sole isnt as grippy as the 5;10, though i do like the fact that they are waterproof. i tried a pair on last year, but found them to tight on my foot, (they felt like they were squeezing my foot) so i decided to stay with the 5;10's as they are a slightly wider fit.

i also tried the new sombrio shoe and that also felt mega tight on my foot, they also felt very soft arround the toes, as though there wouldnt be much protection if you clipped a rock or tree/treeroot,

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    For the record, a Link is ~2oz/pr lighter than a Freeride of the same size.
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

Members who have read this thread: 0