5 Bikes STOLEN from San Diego Garage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

5 Bikes STOLEN from San Diego Garage

We had 5 bikes stolen from our garage in San Diego (North Park area) early Monday morning.

Here is a list:

2006 Mongoose ECD with Boxxer World Cup fork color: blue/white/orange size: M

2005 Intense M3 with Manitou Travis 7" fork color: brown black size: S

2003 Intense Tazer with Manitou Bomber fork color: red size: S

2003 Specialized Epic (only has 1 front chain ring) color: red size: M

2003 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (xc bike, spinergy rims, black fork) color: silver/blue size: S no pic

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180458

The link above goes to pictures (can't get them to upload right now)

Please keep your eyes open on the streets and the message boards! Please let us know if you see anything that even slightly matches any of these bikes.

PM me (Steph) or email Dan at [email protected] or Steph at [email protected]. Or just call the cops...

Collectively, we have a huge number or eyes and ears. The bikes could end up anywhere, but maybe someone will be dumb enough to make a mistake and will get caught.

Thanks everyone,

Dan & Steph

I WILL POST PICS ASAP
    Last edited by castaway222; 05-07-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: title was not correct
    "I like bikes!"

Glad to Be Alive
    man hope you have insurance.....sorry to hear
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    seriously sucks.

Is flexy
    Homeowners insurance claim for sure and I'm sure you covered the deductable. Sucks to hear man...nothing gives you more of a helpless feeling then getting your bike jacked. Good luck on your search.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

clyde in training
    hang whoever did it

Old No. 7
    I'll keep my eyes out for sure. I'm in North Park quite often.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

go chase the sunset
    Jesus that must be pricy.

Check craigslist and ebay diligently for someone sticking them up there, give the serials to all the pawn shops you can find and tell all the local bike shops just in case. Hope you can recover them.

mtbr member
    thanks guys...we have insurance and can cover the deductible but you still have to factor in 'depreciation'...yuck
    "I like bikes!"

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Daaamn, I'm reluctant to leave my bike in the garage. However, I'm fortunate that I've enough room inside the house for storage. If you don't mind me asking, did they bust a lock and break in? Stuff like that makes me want to beef up the security at my place. Here's hoping for a recovery! I'll be watching the La Jolla to Linda Vista area.

mtbr member
    yeah, just lock them up as good as you can!

they found some way to open the door (we think they pulled it up just enough to get a tool under the door and then push the button from the inside).

f*ckers...

and, if you don't have insurance...get it. we do but it's going to be a long process

steph

p.s. lumpia is delicious
    "I like bikes!"

just along for the ride
    Bummer next time get a dog to sit the bikes, one step on my driveway and my mutt if he doesn't know you will be ankle jewelery to some punk

mtbr member
    May 2004
    keep an eye on craigslist for all of socal.
    those tweekers will travel to make a buck.

Hard as nails
    Nothing worse than a thief - one of the lowest forms of life. .. I wish you the best of luck!
    Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Damn Steph and Dan that sucks big time! I put a padlock on my garage door, but I am always worried about whether its enough. I considered bolting a steel rack to my garage floor and then chain locking them to that as well just to be sure. More than likely its someone who lives near you or a friend of someone who lives near you that has seen you guys leaving packed up ready to ride, so they knew what they were getting.

I will keep my eyes out here in the South Bay as well.

Dale from SBF

Disco-Superfly
    five bikes

this f*cker wasnt joking...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Magic Man
    hey dude...my buddy got a couple of his bikes taken from the garage in ur same area. A cop ended up taking his Demo from a homeless crack-head, and handing it over to Cal-Coast bikes on Adams. My buddy was lucky and got 1 out of his three bikes. I'm sure you've already hit up all the shops in the area. Just thought you mike like to know that.
    She said "No, you're wrong." I said "You got a lumpy butt." She got mad at me and yelled at me and I pissed in my pants and I never did change my pee-pants all day. I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee-pants.

mmm bacon
    Don't let them pull the depreciation factor on you, I had all my DH gear, bike and custom knee brace stolen. I took about 3 shots to calm myself down. I called the insurance adjuster and explained the situation to him. He had no idea what a downhill bike was let alone a custom knee brace, his first offer for the brace was 200.00 due to depreciation (it was three years old) it cost 1500.00 he had no idea, I gave him the donjoy website and walked him through it, I also pointed out that the knee brace could be refurbished therefore it wasn't a disposable/depreciateable(?) item. he and I agreed at 1350.00. I was probably on the phone with him for 2 hours. I lost 500 my deductable and insurance paid about 90% of actual value. I attribute this to me asking for the big items first, then I nickeled and dimed him for all the misc. parts/equipment/gear. Thinking of it I never had to produce a reciept, just website addresses. Granted you are talking about 5 bikes which sucks. My total payout was around 4700.00. Regardless I hope it all works out for you either by finding you bikes or by having insurance take care of you properly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    Homeowners insurance claim for sure and I'm sure you covered the deductable. Sucks to hear man...nothing gives you more of a helpless feeling then getting your bike jacked. Good luck on your search.
    Au contraire my friend. Try having your house ransacked, your dogs beaten and your computer ripped out of the office with your last seven years tax returns, socials, where you work, saved passwords to everywhere you shop online, online access to all your banking info and the addresses of all your friends and family on it.

I know it doesn't help but I'd swap my bikes for that anyday.

ride hard take risks
    Sorry for the loss, really sux, i know from experiance, I now lock the garage from the inside using 2 locks at the bottom of the garage door, to easy to cut a lock outside.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

somewhere in socal
    i will keep an eye out around mission and pacific beach. i was lucky enough to get back three stolen bikes over the years just by riding the boardwalk. i lock up my bikes in my house and still get excited everyday when i come home to see that they are still there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by castaway222
    yeah, just lock them up as good as you can!

they found some way to open the door (we think they pulled it up just enough to get a tool under the door and then push the button from the inside).

f*ckers...

and, if you don't have insurance...get it. we do but it's going to be a long process

steph

p.s. lumpia is delicious
    if the garage was closed, it means they knew they were there. It's probably someone you know, or have met.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by disraeli
    Au contraire my friend. Try having your house ransacked, your dogs beaten and your computer ripped out of the office with your last seven years tax returns, socials, where you work, saved passwords to everywhere you shop online, online access to all your banking info and the addresses of all your friends and family on it.

I know it doesn't help but I'd swap my bikes for that anyday.
    that really and truly sucks.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

the target bike basher
    This is getting retarded. Someone smashed my car window to try to steal my Giant bike day before yesturday. Didnt even take anything, and now Im out 200$ for a friggin window. And I finally had enough dough to get my DH bike Ive been saving for forever

Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

Trying a little
    I think the first rule of fencing is move the product far out of town but within state lines.

If I were you I would look for your bikes being advertised for sale in the SF bay area before I would look anywhere in SD.

You can use http://www.crazedlist.org to search all the craigslists at once.

Have to something called "disable referrers" to make it work right.

Good luck.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Wow. (edit) that sucks. maybe you could try locking them next time. I chain my bikes in the garage because I am paranoid about them getting ripped off when the garage door is open.
    Last edited by NorKal; 05-09-2007 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member

thats just a jerk

comment talk about pouring salt on a wound

Gravity is cool.
    I agree about that being a harsh comment, but it does bring up a good point. Even if you have your bikes stored in a locked garage, you should lock them up to something inside the garage as well. We had 4 bikes stolen out of our small and supposedly secure condo garage that probably wouldn't have happened if we'd have locked them up to someting inside the garage as well. It was a small building and we knew all of our neighbors so we know none of them did it. We found out later that one of the doors wasn't latching unless you pulled it closed. The theives either had something like a crowbar, or used the hammer they stole from my toolbox to pry open one of the storage locker doors. They left the lock in tact which suggests that they didn't have any bolt cutters. Basically it was a crime of opportunity and if we'd have locked up the bikes to something inside we'd probably still have them. Now in our house, the garage is secure, but we still lock the bikes to the racks and the racks to each other and a 4x4 post on the stairwell.

One thing I'd like to know is just how hard to cut these cable are?
    http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Produc...=1001&pid=1124

The padlocks I'm using would take some seriously huge bolt cutters to cut them, and I've heard the same thing about these cables. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to cut one?

mtbr member
    locking is a prevention. we used to lock our bikes but we got complacent. of course that was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Wow. (edit) that sucks. maybe you could try locking them next time. I chain my bikes in the garage because I am paranoid about them getting ripped off when the garage door is open.
    "I like bikes!"

mtbr member

this is getting rediculous...

i went out to go to work this morning and our neighbor's garage was open too!

no sign of forced entry, just like ours. whoever is doing this has a system going...

does anyone know how else someone would open a garage door (with an automatic opener and a small lock up at the top...i mean, we though of the lock being picked, but how else would they just get the door to open?!?) can you electronically by-pass them or is there a black market out there for generic garage door openers??? this is making me nuts!!

(p.s. nothing was taken from their garage...)
    "I like bikes!"

Gravity is cool.
    Years ago you could take a garage door opener around a neighborhood and it would end up opening a few other garage doors since they only had a small number of codes. The one we have has over 4 billion possible codes and randomly changes it each time. Supposedly they use some sort of algorithm to tell the remotes what the new code is rather than just sending the actual code which I suppose could be scanned somehow. It sounds like you'd have to figure out the algorithm for each brand of opener and then figure out how to scan for the signal. It's the kind of thing you see in the movies, but I think anything is possible if someone wants to do it badly enough. Fortunately for us, that kind of sophistication isn't seen in our neighborhood. The other thing to do is get to know all of your neighbors and have a block watch. We're lucky that we know all of neighbors and several of them are home during the day and keep an eye out. Still, the bikes are locked up inside the garage. Once bitten, twice shy. In the end, unless you want to live in a fortress, if someone wants to break into your house badly enough they will. You just have to make as hard on them as possible.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by tadrscin
    One thing I'd like to know is just how hard to cut these cable are?
    http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Produc...=1001&pid=1124

The padlocks I'm using would take some seriously huge bolt cutters to cut them, and I've heard the same thing about these cables. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to cut one?
    Those cable are not tough to cut through at all. The thief just has to be patient and slowly clip a few strands at a time. If you try and cut the whole thing with a pair of cutters it will just squish but not cut. But with a relatively small set of diagonal cutters the cable can be snipped a small bit at a time until it's all the way through.

Who are the brain police?
    Sounds like a great reason to pull an all nighter luking somewhere with a clear view of the street.

How good would it be to catch the guy in the act, punch the shi... I mean subdue him in legal fashion for the police. Might even get your bikes back.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Those cable are not tough to cut through at all. The thief just has to be patient and slowly clip a few strands at a time. If you try and cut the whole thing with a pair of cutters it will just squish but not cut. But with a relatively small set of diagonal cutters the cable can be snipped a small bit at a time until it's all the way through.

thats why you need this lock it is a beast and you wont be cutting it its what I use expensive but worth the cost on guard makes one as well thats 7ft

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kryptonite-5-ft-...QQcmdZViewItem

Trying a little

Members who have read this thread: 0