5.10 Wearers- Mtbr.com

Thread: 5.10 Wearers

mtbr member

5.10 Wearers

This seems like the right forum so we'll see.

I'm looking at getting some new shoes and wanted to get some feedback. Currently I'm wearing a low skate style shoe but have heard lots of positive feedback regarding 5.10's.

For those of you wearing 5.10's what are you wearing - low or mid? Have you ever worn both (not at the same time) and which do you prefer? Do you find the mids interfere with shin guards?

Thanks
    Intense Tracer VP
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    24" BMX

Jul 2007
    I have very short legs and wear mid top 5.10s (the rennies) with a size large 661 race knee/shin guard and while they touch I do not feel that either is interfering with one another.

I like the support and protection of the mids. I have sprained my ankles countless times in my 33 years and need the exra support.

Nov 2006

5.10 recommendation

I have worn the low top's for a few years. The newest version is by far the best, so I would spend the extra money to get them. They are so grippy, they almost feel like you are clipped in when your feet are on the pedals. I would try them on if possible before purchasing them, since some people have complained about them running small, although I did not have that problem. If you have weak ankles or have had problems with your ankles in the past, then you might want to try the hi tops. A friend of mine rides them and he says they have saved his ankles many a time. As far as clearance on shin pads, my friend has no problem with them. I would give them a try. If you can find a shop to try them at, then go for it, you will not go back to your skate shoes.

moaaar shimz
    I've got the Impact 1 high tops. I tried the Impact 2 but I felt the Impact 1 were much more comfy...

They don't interefere with my shin guards at all, and I feel the extra ankle support inspires confidence

Bikes Rule
    Low Impacts for me. And using BA51C for the DJ/Park bike.

Love them both.

mtbr member
    I use the Impact 2 highs and besides them being a b!tch to get in because of the side entry they are amazing shoes. In hindsight I feel like I should have gone with the lows or mids though because of how tough they are to get on and initially the ankle support felt a bit uncomfortable till they broke in. They are by no means high enough to interfere with either my Veggie shin wraps or EVS motocross style knee/shins.

----------------
    Aug 2006
    Not switch topics but how is their sizing? I have a pair of shimano xc shoes that are 46 eu/ 11.5 us but I usually wear a size 12 in vans shoes. They sell their shoes in us sizing but I couldn't find a size chart on their website to compare it to eu sizing. I don't know of anywhere near me that sells their shoes so I can't go try them on and I have to order them online. If anyone else out there wears a similar size some feed back would be great. Thanks.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i own a pair of the rennie editions. personaly i like the higher ones, obvisouly they protect your ancles a little more and i have a tendancy to smash them eather on my cranks or cutting tight single track corners close

Brackish
    I've got the high tops, love the extra protection. They are a little too much for skatepark and XC riding, but for everything else they kill it. They actually hold my shin guards up when I'm on a long DH or shuttle run.

Freeriding Feline

5-10's

Lows for me. Love 'em. I use KS 661 knee guards or Dainese Shins - no problems.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Low Impacts for me. And using BA51C for the DJ/Park bike.

Love them both.
    I was looking at the BA51C before they came out... What are your impressions of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been using the Ba51c for urban stuff and just cruising around. I like the way they look compared to the Impacts, however, the red rubber is slighty less grippy than the Impacts. This isn't really a downside though as they still are plenty grippy and I find the Impacts too grippy sometime. The thing that bothers me most is the laces that come with them are so flippin' long! Great shoe after they break in (Canvas a bit stiff at first).

Reviewer/Tester
    I wear the 5-10 lows, no shinguards... I like blood...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

trail fairy
    5:10 lows
    RF Rally FRs

661 race/race lite look sweet also

Go 5:10s ya never go back theyre that good,

I even wear em doing the vacuming nakid on silppery floors
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

May 2005
    i'm also in the market to purchase some fiveten impact lows, and was wondering how long the rubber last? I know it has to do with how much I ride, but how long have you guys had yours before swapping out?

mtbr member
    I just recieved my pair for 5.10 Impact 2 and Easton Flatboy today. I'm coming from clipless pedals and got intrigued by it! i'm hoping that it will not disappoint me

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SUITEDFINGERS
    Not switch topics but how is their sizing? I have a pair of shimano xc shoes that are 46 eu/ 11.5 us but I usually wear a size 12 in vans shoes. They sell their shoes in us sizing but I couldn't find a size chart on their website to compare it to eu sizing. I don't know of anywhere near me that sells their shoes so I can't go try them on and I have to order them online. If anyone else out there wears a similar size some feed back would be great. Thanks.
    i'm a US 10.5 in everything, but a 5:10. They were way too tight for me. I'm using 11's now & they are still quite new, and snug. I'm hoping they will loosen up a bit yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

5.10 high tops with Roach rally FR leg

the armor comes right to the top of the shoes. Love that there is no exposed skin for shrubbery or rocks flying up. No issues with equipment working together at all.
    I bout my shoes over two years ago and they show definite signs of wear, but I expect to finish off a 3rd season on them. I ride a ton. A lot of people say the ride a ton and they may be right but I really do. Probably log 20+ hours a week on these on average. Lots of XC miles, shuttles, lift days. One thing going well for my shoes is I use the specialized lo pro mag pedals. My opinion, best match for these shoes. My buddies have longer pinned pedals and they are harder on the soles for sure. One has a set of Easton Flatboys and they were so long and grippy that we were pulling pins out to get the right feel.

If going with a whole new setup, I can't rave enough about the low pro mags from specialized and these shoes. Amazing traction and still simple to adjust your feet once on. Add on top of that the 3 seasons I have gotten out of them and do it, don't think twice, just do it

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsystm
    i'm also in the market to purchase some fiveten impact lows, and was wondering how long the rubber last? I know it has to do with how much I ride, but how long have you guys had yours before swapping out?
    2years on mine and even vacuming in between, still going strong, the lip on the toe is coming off but nothing some elephant glue won't stick back down

GiantCHaDSTeR I just recieved my pair for 5.10 Impact 2 and Easton Flatboy today. I'm coming from clipless pedals and got intrigued by it! i'm hoping that it will not disappoint me
    Don't judge it on one ride, it will take awhile, and its worth retraining yourself took me a few months and I was unsure the whole time, but Im reconverted, still use clips for long training rides. but 6inches up its all flats, I may be a slow learner though you mighjt get it first time, just give it a fair go either way or you'll miss out

5;10s do seem to measure half or a size smaller so be careful on purchase try before ya buy oif possible if not go for next size up to normal

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

gkl
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i didn't like the regular 5.10s because the shoe tongue is one piece with the inner part of the shoe. i went with the marzocchi version (everything else is the same except it has a regular tongue).

if you want ankle protection look into these...

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...3-e92d3f8ebe41

i tried on the hightop 5.10s also and didnt feel like there was enough support for me. i have really bad ankles. in fact they literally fall out of joint if i rest the wrong way and will sprain them if i walk around the corner without being really careful. i have been using the ankle braces like the 661s for some time and they have been great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have the original 5.10s (still) they are the true mid-tiops. the newer seem like high or low (even the Rennie is high top) I'd go low if I had to buy anything. They should reintroduce a real mid-top.
    All about the ride

Bike Ninja |||
    Hmmm... i feel like a stereotypical woman with my 5.10 collection of shoes.... I have :
    5.10 Rennie Highs, (race downhill)
    5.10 Hill lows (race dual slalom)
    5.10 impact 1 highs (old DH shoes)
    5.10 impact 2 mid (new DH shoes)
    5.10 impact 2 lows (urban shoes)
    5.10 Basics.... (work shoes)

Love them all for their intended use, and have had no interference issues with any shin guard, including the extra super long Fox Launch guards....
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

moaaar shimz
    ^^that's retarded

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    ^^that's retarded
    Agree one pair does it all the smellier an dirter the better well thats how I roll

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsystm
    i dont have any experience with the fivetens but i run evolv approach shoes which have climbing rubber on them just like the fivetens and i can tell you that after a year of wearing them as my everyday shoe, hiking, climbing and a lot of biking they still grip like crazy despite the fact that they have absolutely no tread left.. so ya as long as there is rubber you can keep them for a long time.

moaaar shimz
    I've had mine for almost a year of constant riding and they are holding up surprisingly well

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone! Got the mids and will try em out this weekend.

Ride on!!!!
    Intense Tracer VP
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    24" BMX

Lord of the Chainrings
    The Impact 2's ROCK!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

trail fairy
    Apparently ya can get em with an orange sole now there's another model, still 4"10 grip but with a Van like feel um sounds good to me

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Lord of the Chainrings
    I would of bought the Sam Hill version if it didn't have the rainbow on it!
    I hope 5.10 replaces that with a written "World Champion" patch instead.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

EXTREEEEEME KAYAKING!
    I wear lows which have been great (Very grippy to say the least) and I don't think it would hurt to get the mids or the highs just for the extra ankle support.

Members who have read this thread: 0