4X Bike Shorter Stem Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

4X Bike Shorter Stem Question

Can anyone tell me if a shorter stem has the same effect as a shorter top tube?

for example if I have a Long sized 4X bike that has a 22.4 inch TT, and use a Straitline 35mm SSC stem to replace my Deity 50mm stem, would it be basically the same as using the short sized frame which has a shorter TT by 15-20mm?

Reason is I found the short frame to be too short (as this was to be used for trail riding as well), and went the long frame instead but now wishing it had a little shorter reach? I thought I could fix this by changing to a shorter stem instead of having to purchase a new frame

any downside to doing this? I am aware the WB will be longer but I can fix that by slamming the rear all the way with teh horizontal drop outs

Pivotal figure
    Changing the stem length is a pretty common way to compensate for the size difference but it isn't going to give quite the same feel as the smaller frame. For what you're trying to achieve I think it's a good way to go though. The longer TT won't be quite as maneuverable but you'll have more legroom for trail riding and that's one thing you wouldn't be able to compensate for with the small frame and a longer stem (I did try that once though)...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    so are you saying that the bike will not be as maneuverable because of the longer wheelbase even tho the "reach" is similar?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    by the way anyone used a straitline ssc stem 35mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    sweet stem. sort of spendy. went from 40mm to it. noticed the difference and like it better

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie
    by the way anyone used a straitline ssc stem 35mm?
    i switched to the straitline boxxer stem. 28mm reach. switch from 50mm.
    definitely feel a difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    so basically the reach would be the same as on a smaller frame?

how would a super short stem like this affect the handling as opposed to a smaller frame with a standard stem?

Roll on Spring Time!
    Kinda like leverage. The longer the stem the more you have to turn to have the same effect as a shorter stem. Combined with a longer set of bars and you can add or subtract the difference created by the stem. I have just changed from a 65mm to a 50mm and can feel the difference with jumping and leaning through corners. A longer stem is nicer for climbing as I feel it helps the front wheel wondering syndrome. I am changing from a shorter frame with a longer stem to a longer TT with a shorter stem mostly to have the same room but better handling.

Members who have read this thread: 0