4th of July Deer Valley (Xpost from AM)- Mtbr.com
    JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

4th of July Deer Valley (Xpost from AM)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=206670

Pics from our runs at Deer Valley yesterday... Super fun, and since we got there early we got about 7 or 8 runs in before the thunderstorms rolled in...

JMH

Glad to Be Alive
    good stuff
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    nice stuff! ad nice seeing people ride that stuff without having to ride 7" FS bikes.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Yeah!

Our overall speed on the hardtails is fairly low, though. Hard to rail the braking bumps without some rear travel to help keep the feet on the pedals!

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid
    nice stuff! ad nice seeing people ride that stuff without having to ride 7" FS bikes.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Our overall speed on the hardtails is fairly low, though. Hard to rail the braking bumps without some rear travel to help keep the feet on the pedals!

JMH
    jump the brake bumps....if it is safe
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Junior Woodchuck

I manual them when I can, that helps a lot. But they are usually right before some sort of gnarly turn or something, so I am not steezy enough to clear them and land in the corner...

But eventually I will be!

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    he is right. you should always trust a drunk who claims to be a pirate. and if they ever offer you candy while you are walking along the sidewalk... go right ahead and get in their car!

mtbr member
    The trails showed are all light travel bike trails. Most anything with more than 6" is too much. Not too rough compared to other stuff on that mountain.

BTW the rocky turn is on Aspen Slalom. Some of the trail maintainance crew people were calling it very difficult stuff. While they were all just standing around watching each other tri-pod that section my crew just blew thru that stuff with ease. That is when I learned that Deer Valley doesn't care, by not investing time and resources in finding motivated people who would actually care in making that mountain into a gem.... instead they keep on their winter crew or hire friends who know nothing.
    Bikeless Rider

i hate to ride uphill
    cool pictures. Im going there in about a week or so. what are the best downhill trails?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Mostly right.

Actually, the rocky turn isn't on Aspen Slalom. It's about 1/4 of the way down Fire Swamp. Aspen Slalom is really a pretty fast trail and only rated difficult. The top of Fire Swamp is harder, but it opens up a bit in the middle. The bottom where it drops back into TF gets tighter again.

You could argue that the ratings are all sandbagged, but there are way more people in Dockers on rented XC bikes at Deer Valley than at some other resorts. If you call Aspen Slalom a blue run because you can rail it on your 5" trail bike, there will be way more busted collarbones when Hyrum Smith flips his Schwinn Moab. There was a death on Theives Forest the day before we were there. On a super smooth drop that can easily be rolled. Some guy tried to huck it I guess, and busted his neck.

But in general I agree. Nothing much to kill you at DV. The fact that you can clean everything nicely on HT attests to this. The ladder work is weak. There is also a drop that goes nowhere, the transition is shorter than the height of the drop, and it basically ends 10 feet later in a pit...

Deer Valley could step it up, but yeah, they don't seem too interested. I am not going to complain about it, though, because it's still really fun. Maybe if you and I pooled the $30k to put into some cool stuff they might be interested?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    The trails showed are all light travel bike trails. Most anything with more than 6" is too much. Not too rough compared to other stuff on that mountain.

BTW the rocky turn is on Aspen Slalom. Some of the trail maintainance crew people were calling it very difficult stuff. While they were all just standing around watching each other tri-pod that section my crew just blew thru that stuff with ease. That is when I learned that Deer Valley doesn't care, by not investing time and resources in finding motivated people who would actually care in making that mountain into a gem.... instead they keep on their winter crew or hire friends who know nothing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was up there on the 1st... Alot of the people think the double black diamonds are super gnar, and you need a 8" bike to ride them.

While I think a 8" bike would make them quite a bit easier to rail, we were still able to clean everything.. even if it took a few tries.

My buddy was riding a Shred and I was on my "AM" Heckler and a bunch of people advised us not to ride Fire Swamp and Thieves Forest.

I think Alpine Slalom was the most fun, as it still had the gnar tech portions but some super fast stuff as well.

In fact, some guy on the lift told us to turn around right at the beginning of Fire Swamp I guess we didn't look hardcore enough

We proceeded despite the advice and actually got props from a couple of the resident shredders watching us ride..

All in all DV is still an awesome place to ride IMO

mtbr member
    Did anyone hit the NCS trail? Now that one is rated right. The rock garden in there is pretty hairy.... do-able tho. What makes those trails difficult is the fact that DV's notion of trail maintainance is kicking a few rocks off the trail. No flow. A hazzard for beginners... like the guy who got killed. If you look up some of my stuff posted about DV I've said it many a time "someone is bound to kill themselves" because DV cares not to maintain trails.

JHM
    Your comment on the ladders is bang on. I've mentioned that DV's trail crew wasted the last 4 summers.... and counting....5....on stupid stuff like the ladders the lead no-where. No flow to those either. I'm just waiting for UT to catch the vision and get motivated on real biking. There is some killer potential around here.

Wyrm
    Bikeless Rider

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yeah, the NCS course is sick. I cruised down parts of it on my XC bike last Tuesday and almost killed myself. A big bike is definitely a good idea on that run. It was closed on the 4th for "maintenance" (rock kicking?)

I hear you for sure, especially with all the good (pro) riders that FREAKIN LIVE IN PC and SLC! I know Porter has offered his time to the DV management, I am sure there are tons of other local guys that could help make that place sweet...

Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    I'm just waiting for UT to catch the vision and get motivated on real biking. There is some killer potential around here.

Wyrm

Members who have read this thread: 0