To 4by or not to 4by- Mtbr.com
    maker of trail

To 4by or not to 4by

Hi

I'm building up a bike for my wife, she is currently on a Norco HT (bigfoot), size small, shes just getting into trail riding etc, this was a bike I built out of bits lying around...

Now the BB is seized onto the frame and its nearing the end of its life...

The point of the story is...

There is a size small norco 4by frame for sale for a reasonable amount, would this be slightly ridiculous for a beginner/trail bike for her???

Need a reality check here lol

General Rabble-Rouser
    What year?

I'm looking at an 2004 here, since some of the parts are starting to wear, I took a guess
    http://www.nsmb.com/gear/norco4by_08_04.php

Seems like a good starter, a shade heavy, but she won't wallow in gobs of travel

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    What year?

I'm looking at an 2004 here, since some of the parts are starting to wear, I took a guess
    http://www.nsmb.com/gear/norco4by_08_04.php

Seems like a good starter, a shade heavy, but she won't wallow in gobs of travel
    The frame is an 05, I actually stumbled on that review before I read your post, and it looks fairly positive.

The frame I'm looking at has a fox air shock on it.

Note this 4by frame is brand new, her existing bike is near the end of its life, well just the BB, which is proper stuck in the frame, making the frame scrap aluminum

Meh.
    The 4by is a bit heavy... but it's a solid frame. It's a pretty fun ride.

What sort of BB is it? Have you taken it to a shop? We have all sorts of tricks. Try to spray some PB Blaster in there and let it sit. If the spline isn't already scrapped there may be hope yet. Use something to hold the tool to the BB. If it's a BB with a hollow spindle like ISIS you can use a threaded axle and a couple nuts to press the tool into the splines. If it's square taper, we have a special tool that threads into the axle and pushes into the splines. And now that tool isn't going to slip... so you can apply more leverage. Smack it around a little bit to try and loosen it up. Try loosening a bit, tightening a bit, loosening a bit. Maybe hit the driver with a mallet. Basically whatever to break that bond. Our breaker bar was about 6 feet long. Last resort... break out the impact wrench.

Next time, remember the importance of a good grease or anti-seize. I use a combo of teflon tape around the threads of the BB and liberal applications of a high quality grease. I also use the grease to fill the plug holes in the frame from the seattube and downtube.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The 4by is a bit heavy... but it's a solid frame. It's a pretty fun ride.

What sort of BB is it? Have you taken it to a shop? We have all sorts of tricks. Try to spray some PB Blaster in there and let it sit. If the spline isn't already scrapped there may be hope yet. Use something to hold the tool to the BB. If it's a BB with a hollow spindle like ISIS you can use a threaded axle and a couple nuts to press the tool into the splines. If it's square taper, we have a special tool that threads into the axle and pushes into the splines. And now that tool isn't going to slip... so you can apply more leverage. Smack it around a little bit to try and loosen it up. Try loosening a bit, tightening a bit, loosening a bit. Maybe hit the driver with a mallet. Basically whatever to break that bond. Our breaker bar was about 6 feet long. Last resort... break out the impact wrench.

Next time, remember the importance of a good grease or anti-seize. I use a combo of teflon tape around the threads of the BB and liberal applications of a high quality grease. I also use the grease to fill the plug holes in the frame from the seattube and downtube.
    Yeah preventative would have been best, except I bought the frame used, with BB in it (needless to say I now refuse to buy a used frame unless the BB/head set are out).

Its been into the shop, not sure if they tried the bolt through the axle to hold the tool on technique though, that sounds like it might even work!!

Anyways, its soaked in solvents for weeks now, beaten around a bit, I split the spacer on the drive side so the load on the thread is not there anymore, the LBS had a 4ft pole on the tool (they gave up and didn't charge me ), as a last resort I even temp cycled it with a torch to see if that would free it.

All of the above succeeded in mashing the splines a little, but the BB did not budge even a bit.

So I'm thinking I don't want to waste any more time and effort on a frame that cost me $70... She'll ride it till it dies, by then hopefully I will have found a replacement frame... maybe a 4by

Members who have read this thread: 0