"40 Killer!"- Mtbr.com

Thread: "40 Killer!"

banned

"40 Killer!"

What the hell is a 40 killer. All i hear is how everyone wants a marzocchi "40 killer".
    Lets see some pics.

moaaar shimz
    Are you a douchebag? Check the latest and most active thread on this forum called 2008 Marzocchi Details Leaked

-_-

the goose is loose!
    basically, the '08 888.

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Are you a douchebag? Check the latest and most active thread on this forum called 2008 Marzocchi Details Leaked

-_-
    chill with the hostility dawg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey... I found a pic of one. Wait, make that two.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    chill with the hostility dawg
    roger that brutha

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ahh mother&*#[email protected]#@$#! Someone beat me to it.

40 killah.

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Any well tuned 888 RC2X is a 40 killer. I don't know who the hell went out of their way to get that stupid hype going.

Glad to Be Alive
    40 killer is the new marzocchi fork with 38 mm stanctions....adjustable travel, air in one leg oil and to spriong in the other....plus some other neat suspension stuff ...oh yeah....lighter then a Fox 40
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    888 > 40. (pun intended)

2008's 888 series is THE 40 Killer.

Not one fork (as I thought see earlier posts), but one LINEUP.

The 40 Killer hype did had some myths, like:

it's a "race-only" fork,

it will be so different from the 888 series,

we even thought up names like the 999 or the 666!
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Registered Jong
    not a 40 killa cuz its not a fox rather ride a fox 40 any day over a 888 world cup

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Just becuase a fork is lighter than a 40, it does not make it better. The Fox 40 has way better damping, and is way more simple. Whats with RC2XVA, to confusing. The Fox has RC2 and preload(way easier).No oil in Fox, oil in Marzocchi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Haha, you suck.

The 40 had to be sent for servicing until only a few months back when they released the manuals.

I've owned both, both are great. The easy dent lowers and shear size put me off the 40.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAN E
    Just becuase a fork is lighter than a 40, it does not make it better. The Fox 40 has way better damping, and is way more simple. Whats with RC2XVA, to confusing. The Fox has RC2 and preload(way easier).No oil in Fox, oil in Marzocchi.
    Way off there buddy. The 888's are recycled moto technology from the 70's. The Fox uses oil in its closed dampers and it's function depends 100% on those dampers being perfectly bled and contained. The RC2X has the exact same adjustments as the 40 (hi/lo/rebound/preload) but can achieve a wider range of damping due to the oil volume. The 40 damping is far more technologically new than the 888s, but I would hardly call it simpler.

Registered Jong
    Quote Originally Posted by j5ive
    Haha, you suck.

The 40 had to be sent for servicing until only a few months back when they released the manuals.

I've owned both, both are great. The easy dent lowers and shear size put me off the 40.
    fyi the new "40 killa" is going to have 38mm tubes so it will pry turn you off too, so actually "you suck"
    Last edited by Pistol2Ne; 06-02-2007 at 07:09 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Just from looking at the percentages of who is racing on what, they should have come up with a Boxxer Killer instead. Heh.

Yeah, it's just a dumb hype phrase playing up the fatter stanchions. BTW: all Marz fork production is finally moved to Taiwan for 2008, so maybe the stupid and sloppy QC issues they have been having the last few years will be cleared up. Non-servicable cartridges? Topout springs that break off inside those same non-servicable cartridges? Twisted lowers? Whew.

Hope so. I want to like Marzocchi again because the forks feel great. If they can bump up the QC I will be all over the new 55 and 888.

JMH

Registered Jong
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Just from looking at the percentages of who is racing on what, they should have come up with a Boxxer Killer instead. Heh.

Yeah, it's just a dumb hype phrase playing up the fatter stanchions. BTW: all Marz fork production is finally moved to Taiwan for 2008, so maybe the stupid and sloppy QC issues they have been having the last few years will be cleared up. Non-servicable cartridges? Topout springs that break off inside those same non-servicable cartridges? Twisted lowers? Whew.

Hope so. I want to like Marzocchi again because the forks feel great. If they can bump up the QC I will be all over the new 55 and 888.

JMH
    Its funny that you say boxxer killer I was thinking the exact same thing

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    boxxer killer

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Way off there buddy. The 888's are recycled moto technology from the 70's. The Fox uses oil in its closed dampers and it's function depends 100% on those dampers being perfectly bled and contained. The RC2X has the exact same adjustments as the 40 (hi/lo/rebound/preload) but can achieve a wider range of damping due to the oil volume. The 40 damping is far more technologically new than the 888s, but I would hardly call it simpler.
    I know the Fox has oil. It's in the cartridge's. I'm just not a big fan of open bath.

mtbr member
    Is now a good time to point out that the '08 888s have 38mm stanchions? It appears that they're not adding a new fork to the lineup, just revamping the 888.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Is now a good time to point out that the '08 888s have 38mm stanchions? It appears that they're not adding a new fork to the lineup, just revamping the 888.

actually no.........I have seen it in person and it ain't no 38 mm stantion 888....it has other goodies
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Bike Ninja |||

actually yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    actually no.........I have seen it in person and it ain't no 38 mm stantion 888....it has other goodies
    Hate to disagree with ya there SMT, but yes..a completely revamped 888 (heck the name is the same), NOT a new series in addition to the 888.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Dig up the scanned images of the catalogue. They say that the 888 has 38mm stanchions.

Bum Buzzer
    Thats a huge load... it is neither more simple nor has better damping.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Dig up the scanned images of the catalogue. They say that the 888 has 38mm stanchions.
    Reading comprehension.

SMT was not arguing about the size of the stanchions.

Re-read.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just becuase a fork is lighter than a 40, it does not make it better.
    Well, that entire line of thinking would have been nice when fox released the 40, because the fact that the 40 was lighter than everything else didn't automatically make it some super fork, it was huge, but easily dented, no easily adjustable progression, and you could argue that there are far better products for DHing with, just not necessarily to "save weight" and such. All the marketing would have you believe that you need to be riding a $4000 fork that weighs 3lbs and has 9" of travel.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    SMT Translation:

"Good Sirs... if you are under the impression that 38mm stanchions are the only improvement, I can disabuse you of that misunderstanding now. I have inspected the new design first-hand. Technical advances in the new 888 are indeed myriad, and much more significant than what meets the eye when viewing a few poorly-rendered images on the web."

[email protected] NYC Freerider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Reading comprehension.

SMT was not arguing about the size of the stanchions.

Re-read.
    OK, OK. We (myself included) are not communicating very well. SMT has said (I'll dig up the quote if you really want me to) that Marz. is coming out with a new line of DH forks, in addition to the 888s. 38mm stanchions, high, low and mid compression adjustments, etc. My point is that it appears to be a redesign of the 888, rather than a new fork added to the line (though it seems that the '08 888s bear little to no resemblance to this years crop).

Old No. 7
    I just can't think of a use for a mid speed compression damper adjust, nor a hi/lo rebound adjust. In other words, I can't think of situation where I'd want two different rebound speeds, or when mid speed compression (I really can't figure out what they are referring to here, so assuming it means "within the range of normal oil speed") couldn't be achieved by proper fork set up (using the proper wt. oil).
    In other words, I don't get it. Maybe they're on to something though, but maybe it's all just hype and marketing to make you feel like you're getting the perfectly set up fork, with-out having to do anything but turn a dial.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Rebound I could see... if you could set it to almost nothing for little stuff like washboard, but have a decent amount for really big hits? That's only if it is talking about "position sensitive" and not "speed sensitive", i.e. if the fork only travels 2", you can have a very fast rebound, but if it travels 6 or 8", you have a slower rebound.

Think it might work that way?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    I just can't think of a use for a mid speed compression damper adjust, nor a hi/lo rebound adjust. In other words, I can't think of situation where I'd want two different rebound speeds, or when mid speed compression (I really can't figure out what they are referring to here, so assuming it means "within the range of normal oil speed") couldn't be achieved by proper fork set up (using the proper wt. oil).
    In other words, I don't get it. Maybe they're on to something though, but maybe it's all just hype and marketing to make you feel like you're getting the perfectly set up fork, with-out having to do anything but turn a dial.

mtbr member

JMH
    indeed...
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Old No. 7
    Rebound I could see... if you could set it to almost nothing for little stuff like washboard, but have a decent amount for really big hits? That's only if it is talking about "position sensitive" and not "speed sensitive", i.e. if the fork only travels 2", you can have a very fast rebound, but if it travels 6 or 8", you have a slower rebound.

Think it might work that way?

JMH
    Yeah, speed sensitive wouldn't really make since so it must be position sensitive. But still, I don't see the advantage. There are two general set ups for rebound, fast, for racing and DH in general, and slower for big hit riding. There are some big hits on a race track, but you still want a quick rebound so you're ready for the next section. I can't think of anytime I'd ever want slow rebound while racing nor when a fast rebound setting wasn't something that I could overcome and adjust to on bigger hits.
    But that's just me w/ my genre specific riding. Maybe it would be useful to the more extreme freeriders who mix big hit riding w/ dh trails.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako

Hey the new fork doesn't have flat crowns, I thought Marzocchi learned to only use flat crowns with the 888 series.

Glad to Be Alive
    SMT Translation:

much more significant than what meets the eye when viewing a few poorly-rendered images on the web."
    Jordon...I have seen it in person

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Hate to disagree with ya there SMT, but yes..a completely revamped 888 (heck the name is the same), NOT a new series in addition to the 888.

per inside heads and Marz......they have not even named the fork yet

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Are you a douchebag? [/B]

-_-
    R U ?

Bike Ninja |||
    per inside heads and Marz......they have not even named the fork yet
    Ok Marz God. i'll wait for the us press release to verify anything.. the spy pics have it labeled as 888. thats cool tho. it's a completely new fork either way you look at it.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Equal opportunity meanie
    No oil in Fox
    I know the Fox has oil.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    Yeah, speed sensitive wouldn't really make since so it must be position sensitive. But still, I don't see the advantage. There are two general set ups for rebound, fast, for racing and DH in general, and slower for big hit riding. There are some big hits on a race track, but you still want a quick rebound so you're ready for the next section. I can't think of anytime I'd ever want slow rebound while racing nor when a fast rebound setting wasn't something that I could overcome and adjust to on bigger hits.
    But that's just me w/ my genre specific riding. Maybe it would be useful to the more extreme freeriders who mix big hit riding w/ dh trails.
    I can certainely see the practicality of the hi/lo speed rebound, but definetely not 3 compression adjustmens. I could definetely see that in the rear shock though (lo speed for dive, mid speed for smaller chatter, hi speed for big hits) with the double adjust rebound. Wasn't Nico running a custom made rear shock with about that spec at one point?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    I can certainely see the practicality of the hi/lo speed rebound, but definetely not 3 compression adjustmens. I could definetely see that in the rear shock though (lo speed for dive, mid speed for smaller chatter, hi speed for big hits) with the double adjust rebound. Wasn't Nico running a custom made rear shock with about that spec at one point?
    Agreed. 3 speed compression in back, maybe. Up front? Pointless. It's just going to be a PITA to setup (this from a guy who generally likes to fiddle with things), and the performance gains are dubious. I can definatly dig the dual rebound though. That makes sense.

Members who have read this thread: 0