39.6 lb '06 dhr. arent you proud of me?- Mtbr.com
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

39.6 lb '06 dhr. arent you proud of me?

took the dhr to work today for a little lunch time steerer tube trim now that the e-13 alli stem is all fitted up and the gravity clamp on is in the parts box. thought id toss the scale at it and see what happened. sub 40 was a nice surprise and 2 lbs lighter than the last time i weighed it with the big wheels and the massive rf diabobobbble cranks.

its not worth a pic as i dont have a current shot and youve all seen it anyway. i hope to get a dhxc w/ resi soon and bump the d to spares status. heres the spec.

Frame: 06 Turner DHR - Medium
    Shock: Romic D - 9.5 x 3.0
    Rear Fender: Custom Tide OTB
    Fork: 09 Rock Shox Boxxer Team
    Headset: Cane Creek Double XC
    Stem: E-13 Alli 45/55, 31.8 mm
    Handlebar: Easton Havoc - 2 x 28, 31.8mm clamp
    Grips: 07 ODI Ruffian Lock On
    Brakes: 07 Magura Louise BAT disc
    Brake Rotors: Magura SL - 180/203mm
    Shifter: 07 Sram X-9 - SRP ti hardware
    Rear Derailleur: 08 Sram X-9 - short cage
    Derailleur Cable/Housing: Jagwire Switch - 4.5mm
    Crank: Truvative Stylo - 73 x 170mm
    Bottom Bracket: Truvative GXP X type
    Chainring: Race Face DH - 36 tooth
    Bash Ring: Race Face - 36 tooth
    Chainguide: 05 E-13 SRS - ISCG B
    Cassette: Sram PG-970 11-23
    Chain: Sram PC-991
    Pedals: Crank Brothers 50/50 X
    Rear Hub: Hope Pro II - 32h, 135mm x 12mm through axle
    Front Hub: Hope Pro II - 32h, 110 x 20mm through axle
    Rims: Mavic 721 - 32h
    Spokes: DT/Swiss Competition - brass nipples
    Tubes: Bontrager p/v
    Front Tire: Kenda Blue Groove - 26 x 2.5 kevlar
    Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal: - 26 x 2.5 kevlar
    Seatpost Clamp: Turner - 31.8mm
    Seatpost: Easton EA30 27.2mm
    Saddle: Velo XC - Turner Logo, ti rail

weight: 39.6 lbs
    purpouse: to keep me alive in the face of adversity. this aint no freeride rig!

keep in mind im light at 160 lbs and i ride light too so im not tough on parts and feel i can get away with a few non dh bits on smoother courses. the big stuff will go back on it when its appropriate. constructive thoughts are always welcome.
    No, I'm NOT back!

N* Bomber Crew
    Uh, we need a photo. I got a 06 DHR that weighs in at 41 lbs.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Slap happy crappiness
    No. Pictures or STFU.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

it sux, its old and its not the current spec but if you insist.....

ahh, what the hell. ill add a few more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

N* Bomber Crew
    You can brag about the weight all you want, but until you drill it, no props.

SamIAm
    where do you get those lil fenderthingys. i want one for my 05sxt
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

its 1st and only ride before bein parked for the winter. 11/24/08
    No, I'm NOT back!

i made it outta a tide bottle. OTB = off the bottle. it started as a simple idea to keep crap off the damper shaft and linkage and turned out pretty cool and sano. seems to be effective too. ill see when it really gets sloppy.

by the way, the fit is about perfect. almost like the tide guy knew what he was doin. if ya cut under the stiffening impression, the stiffness is rather impressive without much fear of breakage. i made another longer version that covers the entire rear tri yoke to yoke with a cut out for the chain. only prob is, its about half as tall up top and may not help much. thinkin ill cut it in half and use it as a bottom piece for extra muddy days.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 01-24-2009 at 09:27 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

hehehehe.... you should see whats in my spares box. its been drilled for 13.9" but thats not even the cool part. hows about a factory team rear with massive machine work and a acid dip? i think its 1/2 lb lighter than the stock piece but i may have my numbers mixed up so it could be closer to 1/4 lb. i forgot what dt told me now. when i swap em durrin testing ill be sure to weigh it for ya.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pivotal figure
    Are you running that new nano chain?
    I had a fender on my '01 as well but I made it from the jacket for a big telephone cable (thick PVC)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

nice eye ken. early teething problems. whoda thunk rf x type cranks needed 2 spacers on the drive side and another on the non drive? its a friggin 73mm shell fer gawds sake! anyway, i was missin a spacer, the cranks shifted, caught the power link on the inner guide plate and tossed the whole mess into the leaves. after my fave drop in, i was gonna go back for more but the bike had other ideas so we called it a day, took pretty pics and drank good beer. obviuously i fixed the issue and spun the power link around so it could never knock itself free ever again. a good lesson id say.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My DHR is better than your DHR!!!

That's a really rad bike!!

thanx man. theres a ton of dhr's better than mine but for somethin made mostly from old, used parts and spares, and for what little $ i have into it, its teets! whens the spring thaw again?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    somethin made mostly from old, used parts and spares, and for what little $ i have into it, its teets!
    My fellow Homer, I know that exact feeling! I have an '05 Rail that gets more love than the DHR nowadays and it's built up with all sorts of random bits and spares.

its a dogs life, isnt it? im so stoked on this build and the chance to flogg it soon. you see that rail on ebay a few weeks back? helluva deal! it woulda been cool but i have about no use for it so i passed and used the cash for new armor.

ps: i hope biz is good.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pivotal figure
    I always liked the Rail, just never could justify the $$ for one...

N* Bomber Crew
    Acid dipped? Damn...you're serious.

Sick bike, I like it.

LnW
    mtbr member

i didnt dip it. turner made a few of these for the team bikes with excellent results im told. i was lucky enough to trip over 1 when i was pickin up parts for the build. they also dipped the front tri's but mines stock besides the patch on the downtube.

glad ya dig it man. i do. next up is to see if i can ride the damn thing without lookin like a moron.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 01-25-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Capricious youth...
    Meh.

Lay off the Levers
    Good thing you didn't pull that "I don't have current pix" crap in the F31 or you would have got yourself banned.

I'm diggin on that tide fender, looks pure aftermarket. What winter lacks in MTB it makes up for in UGI.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

SamIAm
    how much lighter is the "acid dipped" rear end? more info? ive never heard of that.

and how much lighter would the front triangle be? anyone>?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice build. Single ply kevlar tyres are kind of cheating though

My 06 is around 42lbs with a mid weight build and dual ply Maxxis 2.5s.

Got any pics of that rear end of yours? (er, the factory one...) I'm guessing acid dipping is just chemical stripping of the paint and that the weight savings are from the machine work, right? My swingarm was stripped by Turner when they did some repair work to the front triangle and I just hit it with some polishing compound when i got it back. Looks great imho.

i know, i know. i figure the regional races wont demand 2 plys so why carry the weight. i got away with it at terry peak and i think i can again at red wing. when i hit the stuff out west ill have 2 plys mounted on the bigger wheelset which should boost me to 42 plus dependin on other parts choices.

ill get some pics of the team rear posted soon. i think dt told me the acid dipping and machine work was worth 1/4 to 1/2 lb per triangle. the rears never broke but they limited the front ends to 1 season before cuttin em up. the dip is far more than a paint stripper. im told it removed material inside and out. how much, i dunno but id guess a few thousands. the machine work was limited to the yoke bridge and the lower pick up point as far as i can tell. then theres the obvious work done after the drilling for the lower b/bkt height which i cleaned up some with a dremmel and a sharpie. ill send it off to olympic soon i suppose.

this is not reccomended as a upgrade or modification to any bike part by anyone i know or have talked to includin turner bikes or myself. its just some cool history that came with a used part i happened to score from a fellow homer who has no association with turner other than bein a custy. thought i should clarify all that.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    I'm diggin on that tide fender, looks pure aftermarket. What winter lacks in MTB it makes up for in UGI.
    thanx buddy. this thing fits so sweet too. bet it would work killer on yer hl or a rfx too. may not need it as much on a rfx but ya can see why i thought i needed it on this piggy.

winter in iowa is all about ugi and plenty of cheap beer. fock it... ill work on my gut in spring. truth is, ive LOST weight since i started back up at the shop and even bulked up a bit. seems bikes suit me.
    No, I'm NOT back!

theres hope for me afterall.

heres a cpl recent shots in the current spec.
    No, I'm NOT back!

the whole teams on acid, man!

took some shots for ya. ill post em up with both the modified team and stock rears. the stock is a '06, not sure if the team is from '05 or what but i think thats what dt told me. the drilling on mine was not done for or by the team or turner bikes. this was a mod made by the guy i bought it from after he picked it up. i should also add that these are not available from turner bikes so dont bother askin. i dont even think theyll provide this service on a new rear if asked so dont bother. the idea is not to create a flood of calls and emails for those guys, just to share some history.

you can also see the patch turner made on the downtube and the reweld made to the upper shock mount. good as new or better. and how about that black smoke paint, huh? stole that color off the '07 spot. enjoy!
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 01-25-2009 at 08:05 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

stratocaster for a dhr

heres some raw shots of the 2nd fender idea. as ya can see, its a bit short up top where it counts so this may not work as a stand alone part. may cut off the top and combine it with the 1st fender for some lower protection if i were to need it. the larger cut out on the right side is to clear the chain. the little x's are where i plan to drill holes for the zip ties. youll notice theres no holes marked for the lower right stay as i plan to simply wrap that end under some velox bar tape i use for chain slap protection.

i think the real trick here is to use the shape tide provides to add stiffness to each side. the pics show this. i cut it with a pair of med scissors from the very bottom to just below the neck and used the natural shape of the bottle, employing some extra material for attatching it at the ends.

hint: empty and rinse the bottle before starting this project. i just know some yahoo will blame me for not warning them of this very important step.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pivotal figure
    Never noticed how well the shape of that bottle works for that application... Kinda makes me look at things differently for sure.

beats the crap outta payin $40 for a aftermarket pos fender and ya get to wash yer stenching dh gear for free for months too.

funny how i picked up on this idea. i was sittin in the home shop lookin at a empty tide bottle in the garbage can and thought, hey, that shape looks like it might compliment a big ass 26 x 2.5 tire so i started cuttin. then i found the shape also fit damn near perfectly in the dhr yoke so i kept cuttin. then i noticed the height was about spot on to keep the shock and linkage clean, checked it at full travel and was very pleased with what i saw. in short, i lucked out.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Old Skool Dirt Bag
    Oct 2004
    Sick bike, sicker photos! Love the fender homemade thing, I love ingenuity.

I had a pair of ballzac's like that once, I tried push starting my 1985 FZ750 in -10C weather once and forgot I was wearing sweat pants when I leapt two feet into the air and landed on the "boys" trying to get the old girl to fire. Seems I caught em on the solo seat cover on the way down and well...you can imagine the rest.

I didn't make it to school that day.

mtbr member
    i am proud of your sub 40 pound bike, but am more proud of the craftsmenship put forth in the construction of that fender, sick! im gonna do that, my tide bottle is almost empty
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    That tide bottle fender needs to be a post in itself for do ityourselfers!
    Thats great WAY UP!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

i considered doin that. just dont get too excited as this will be the only worthwhile contribution im likely to have for some time. what follows will be nuthin but smart assed drivel, over the top bragging, bad advice and inaccurate info.
    No, I'm NOT back!

moaaar shimz
    Dude I want a QBP price catalog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i considered doin that. just dont get too excited as this will be the only worthwhile contribution im likely to have for some time. what follows will be nuthin but smart assed drivel, over the top bragging, bad advice and inaccurate info.
    OMG Pink bike has invaded! LMAO.
    Just giving you [email protected]! That fender is pretty damn slick, pics and write up.

I cant forsee your future here being filled with drivel and aimless post whoring! We already have a few of those!

BTW! Nice bike I have a few friends that ride those and they love them. Not too mention they hold a line like they are on rails from what ive seen.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

if ya dont believe me, just go ask the homers. i stopped by 1 day back in '05 to ask a question then never left.

im pumped to try it out. a good deal on a crap bike is still gonna be crap. a good deal on what some call the best pro level dh bike on the circut till '07 is kinda cool. never thought id own somethin like this till a old friend almost had to force the idea down my throught. 'now that ya won a race, its time for a real dh bike.', he told me. 3 months later i gave in and listened.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0