36 Van 08 -new on bike bottom out TOO easy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

36 Van 08 -new on bike bottom out TOO easy?

Bought some RC2s on sale end of last year - just fitted them on my trail/ FR bike, went for a test blast round the car park and I can bottom them out jsut bouncing around..

I have upped the preload (Standard springs - im 90Kg) to max and both the low and high speed compression to max, and I can still bottom them out !
    Sag is <25%, so am I right in thinking Ive got a duff one?
    If this is a fork used for slopestyle it appears there simply isnt enough compression damping on my fork?

I could change to the hard springs, but if sag is correct as its, I cant see this helping...

any thoughts/ similar experiences?
    cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get a stiffer spring

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    the sag is correct

mtbr member
    May 2008
    check your oil.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    its a brand new fork. Any sensible suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    check your shimz. you might need moar.

banned
    If it's brand new, then the hydraulic BO is set to max out of the factory.

Yes, you have to check the bath oil levels out of the box. Yours is a Van and they might have been delivered with oil.

What is the sensation you get when bottoming out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    why would bath oil effect compression damping, its purely for stanchion/ bushing lubrication?

sensation is a slight solid ping and it is defo using all travel...

I will try heavy spring in 1 side, but im surprised how little effect the compression adjusters had

Still a child inside...
    +1 to get a stiffer spring

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by strak636
    why would bath oil effect compression damping, its purely for stanchion/ bushing lubrication?

sensation is a slight solid ping and it is defo using all travel...

I will try heavy spring in 1 side, but im surprised how little effect the compression adjusters had
    I've described it in the past. The fork is completely inconsistent, and especially on successive hits, it can pack down lower in travel, forcing successive hits to bring it further and further down.

However, in good practice, I'm indicating that you should be checking these forks for oil because they will give the classic 1 season, need new bushings and uppers syndrome that Fox won't pay for.

I'd use a bigger spring, and I asked about the sensation at bottom out to figure out if you were hitting the BO valving and what was happening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If is an RC2 then try setting the low speed compression to maximum dampening... all the way in full clockwise.... and the high speed compression two clicks closed from the full open or counter clockwise.
    If the fork is too stiff and doesn't respond to your body movement you can reduce the low speed compression 1 click, counter clockwise, at a time until you get the right feel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by danyiluska
    +1 to get a stiffer spring
    Your 90kg dude, your too heavy for the fork...Get the next spring up, it's a black spring, costs about $30 and takes 1 minute to install....I'm 93kg and had to do the same..makes a big difference...

Glad to Be Alive
    sell the fork and get a marzocchi
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Ha...

55rc3 is a lb lighter for 2010 model year

Roll on Spring Time!
    Forget about sag change the spring, you are definately too heavy for standard. The only fork I got correct sag from and still get all the compression adjustments - Marzocchi.
    I was getting cheezy with my 36 Rc2 cause the standard spring felt plush but with full High speed compression I could bottom out on mid size stuff with "fairly flat" transition.
    I checked out the spring to weight guideline and I was on the border. I changed the spring and now my High Speed is wide open and the fork has firmed up with no low speed adjustment. I was thinking I would loose out on small bump sensitivity but I havent noticed. I have found it to be more stable as it doesnt dive under breaking and my Geo is more stable. I have more adjustment range too and I have started adding more low speed compression for jumping and only used full travel this weekend so I can now add a touch of High Speed. Its a solid fork just set it up right.

Engineer The Future Now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Strangelove
    Your 90kg dude, your too heavy for the fork...Get the next spring up, it's a black spring, costs about $30 and takes 1 minute to install....I'm 93kg and had to do the same..makes a big difference...
    According to the 08 Fox manual for 36 Van R/RC2 the black spring is for riders <90-115lbs. The green spring is for riders 175-210lbs. What color spring comes stock w/ the fork?
    holy...

biking is fun
    Yeah you definately need the stiffer spring. i weigh 170 pounds and opted for the heavier spring for the style of riding i do.

if all else fails you could just trade me for my 08/09 fox talas rc2

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub
    check your oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by strak636
    its a brand new fork. Any sensible suggestions?
    srsly, how much oil is in that thing. well known fact factory levels can't be depended on.

what nice teeth you have
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    Ha...

55rc3 is a lb lighter for 2010 model year
    Damn it. Just got my 09. Right at 6lb out of the box w/ uncut steerer.

Members who have read this thread: 0