31.8 stem with 28.6 bar?- Mtbr.com
    USB Rep'n

31.8 stem with 28.6 bar?

is there any way to make this happen? I was thinking a homemade shim but wondered if anyone has made one and what they used. I'd like to swap to a SIC stem to lower the stack height but would like to continue running my Deity bars which are the older 28.6 bore.

Help? Please?
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    is there any way to make this happen? I was thinking a homemade shim but wondered if anyone has made one and what they used. I'd like to swap to a SIC stem to lower the stack height but would like to continue running my Deity bars which are the older 28.6 bore.

Help? Please?
    I've seen them floating around. You can buy them, but they're pretty difficult to find. I'll see if we have any sitting around in the shop.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I've seen them floating around. You can buy them, but they're pretty difficult to find. I'll see if we have any sitting around in the shop.
    Sweet, thanks! If not, could I take one of the 31.8 shims and just dremel it down to work on my 28.6 bars?

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    i made one for my hussefelt stem and race face bars. i found this pipe lying around my garage and it was the perfect size so i just cut it in half and put it on. if u dont have the right size pipe you coule easily make one if you have a good lathe....
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Larry104
    i made one for my hussefelt stem and race face bars. i found this pipe lying around my garage and it was the perfect size so i just cut it in half and put it on. if u dont have the right size pipe you coule easily make one if you have a good lathe....
    I dont have a lathe but I am a wizard with a Dremel. I guess I was wondering what kind of material I should use for the shim.

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    The older Jr. T's and Super T's used to come with a 31.8 stem c/w shims for a 28.6 bar.
    They were red anodized aluminum. Check with some LBS's to see if they have any laying around.
    I dont have a lathe but I am a wizard with a Dremel. I guess I was wondering what kind of material I should use for the shim.

Just roll it......
    I think the shims on the Super and Junior T's were for 25.4. I had a Super T and ran smaller bars and that shim was for the standard size (25.4) bars.

If you can't find the shims for cheap, you can always buy a cheap 31.8 bar. I just put these FSA's on my Stinky. A lot less hassle.

Cheers,
    EBX

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    They were red anodized aluminum...

my 888 came with a red anodized bar shim. i'm now using it on a thompson stem for a 28.6 bar.
    call up marzocchi and see if brian will sell you one.

mtbr member

i used steel casue it was the only thing that would work.. aluminum would prabably be the best choice.
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Larry104
    i used steel casue it was the only thing that would work.. aluminum would prabably be the best choice.
    soda cans make nice shims...but you would need multiple layers.

TNC
    noMAD man

QBP Problem Solvers

Help? Please?
    I believe QBP has them in both 25.4 and 28.6 models to fit 31.8 stems. Also if you have or can find a piece of 1.125 cut-off alloy steerer tube (like what's left over from cutting a new fork), these make perfect spacers...in fact they look basically like what you buy. You split one of these pieces in two and trim the inner and outer ends to suit your application. I made a set for one of my bikes before I realized that they were made by someone else.

not really a noob
    get the right size or you will die
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have the red shims from my junior t im not using. Let me know if you want them.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by vardiel
    I have the red shims from my junior t im not using. Let me know if you want them.
    for anyone who doubts karma, doubt no more. A while back I was able to help a couple of mtbr's out with some stuff that I had and they needed. Now Im getting hooked up...sweet to see it in action. Vards, Ill PM ya but I could definitely use those. Thanks a ton!

nam

eh-nay Ityopia!

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Here's mine. I can find out where to get it for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Members who have read this thread: 0