303R v my Demo7- Mtbr.com

Thread: 303R v my Demo7

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

303R v my Demo7

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here, hate these threads but oh well I need some other input. I have a Demo 7 setup for all-mtn/freeride use - dual ring guide, adjustable travel fork (66rc2 eta), etc. LOVE that bike. Probably my all-time favorite rig. I've had it for really just one full season last year, and only ridden it maybe 200 miles.

I also had a Transition Blindside as my dedicated race/lift DH bike. It did great, I raced well on it, but there were some things I wasn't happy with (mostly fit and finish) and I sold it this winter. So I have those funds to put towards my next DH project.

Thinking about saving some coin and just putting a 2010 Boxxer or a Fox 40 on the Demo and calling it good for my race rig this season. I know I love the bike. And I'm pretty sure that with a big DC fork it'd be killer for racing.

That said, I did put an order in for a new 303R-DH and am waiting on that. I like the geo, nice and low like the Demo. I am a bit worried about braking performance being a single pivot. Otherwise, I think the Yeti is a more DH/race-specific rig and may do slightly better as a race bike than the Demo. But of course I can't ride one before deciding. Ugh! Any thoughts?

The Other Dude
    I raced my demo 8 last year, and did a bunch of DH stuff on my 07 demo 7 2 years ago with a fox 40 on the front, i loved the bike, i dont think you can go wrong with a demo.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

UNDEAD
    I agree with jut8, you can't go wrong with the Demo and FSR
    Look at the geometry of the 303 and see if there is something you are REALLY missing that the Demo does not have. Other than that....you gotta stick with the Demo, it will handle anything you throw at it

....if funds are tight I don't see the point

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the perspective fellas, makes total sense.

J did you run your 40 at full travel or did you reduce it a bit for the Demo 7?

..ouch
    I've given the 303R-DH the "parking lot test" and can say it looks great, but if you're already happy with the Demo I'd stick with that. Not much to gain by switching besides a little bling factor.
    Last edited by thump; 02-12-2009 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Why have two bikes that are pretty much the same. I think the Demo is a perfect bike with a DC.
    2008 DHR
    2007 STP

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by snow-man
    I agree with jut8, you can't go wrong with the Demo and FSR
    Look at the geometry of the 303 and see if there is something you are REALLY missing that the Demo does not have. Other than that....you gotta stick with the Demo, it will handle anything you throw at it

....if funds are tight I don't see the point
    save your funds
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    You say you love your Demo 7, well give it some love and put a DH fork on it.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shakenbakebaby
    Why have two bikes that are pretty much the same. I think the Demo is a perfect bike with a DC.
    Oh I'd sell the Demo if I got the 303. But, I decided to stick with the Demo and just give it some DC love. The components spec is dialed on it anyway, Deity bars/stem, 721 and Hadley wheels, Gravity Light cranks, etc. I'd have to do some component swapping on the Yeti.

local trails rider
    If I were looking for a new Big Bike, I just might go for the 303R DH.
    You already have a good bike. If money is tight, make the best out of what you already have.

mtbr member
    Keep giving love to the Demo.

Members who have read this thread: 0