300lb cagefighter big hit 24" rear tyre options??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

300lb cagefighter big hit 24" rear tyre options??

I'm a big guy I used to ride dirt bikes as a kid growing up in the tropics and I have spent most of my life on two wheels however I just got bigger and bigger as mountain biking and surfing were displaced by my martial arts career

So now that I am a 280-pound cage fighter I like to mountain bike for cardio and for the fun of simple jumps and drops

I picked up a special built specialized big hit with a 24 inch rear wheel/bomber forks a little over a decade ago and I have been totally focused on MMA for the last few years and don't know what kind of options are out there

I just want the toughest most durable stuff at the best price... couldn't care less about other issues

My bike needs a new rear tyre & Sprocket

I feel like it's a bit too geared for climbing and I would like a bigger more aggressive dirt Tyre as I've recently relocated to North Carolina and have lots of mud

mtbr member
    At your weight, I'd highly recommend using a tire with a dual ply downhill casing.

Maxxis minions are the most prolific downhill tire out there. It's a good all around tire. There may be better tires for specific conditions in some areas, but you'd have to research what DH guys are running in your area then find out if it's still made in a 24".

Maxxis still makes the DHF in a 24x2.4 and the DHRII in a 24x2.3 in a 2 ply downhill casing.

The DHF is designed as a front tire, but they work fine as a rear tire. The DHR II is a rear specific tire. Either should work for you.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    24x2.4 and the DHRII in a 24x2.3

for a big guy like me whats the significance of the second number in the tyre size

[2.4/2.3]

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Min...UaAiBAEALw_wcB

looks like a good price at 44$ shipped ??

"The EXO protection is a densely woven, lightweight, and highly flexible fabric that offers excellent sidewall protection, preventing cuts or abrasions in rock gardens or rooted trail areas. Of course, what would the credibility of a progressive mountain tire be without a tubeless ready setup? The tubeless ready Minion DHF uses a standard casing that requires the use of a liquid sealant for an airtight interface, delivering benefits of a UST tubeless tire without sacrificing weight. Everything sought out in a trustworthy all-mountain fun-machine or Enduro crushing tire can be found in the Maxxis Minion DHF EXO"

not too keen on the tubeless glue situation however??

I HATE GLUE...always fails because we are seasonal riders in NC...cant you run it without glue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GUERRILLA View Post
    24x2.4 and the DHRII in a 24x2.3

for a big guy like me whats the significance of the second number in the tyre size

[2.4/2.3]
    2.4" and 2.3" is the width of the tire. Wider tire casing will have more volume and more cushion, so less chance of pinch flats or denting a rim at the same tire pressure, or the ability the run lower tire pressure (more traction/comfort) depending on how you look at it.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member

"The EXO protection is a densely woven, lightweight, and highly flexible fabric that offers excellent sidewall protection, preventing cuts or abrasions in rock gardens or rooted trail areas. Of course, what would the credibility of a progressive mountain tire be without a tubeless ready setup? The tubeless ready Minion DHF uses a standard casing that requires the use of a liquid sealant for an airtight interface, delivering benefits of a UST tubeless tire without sacrificing weight. Everything sought out in a trustworthy all-mountain fun-machine or Enduro crushing tire can be found in the Maxxis Minion DHF EXO"

I HATE GLUE...always fails because we are seasonal riders in NC...cant you run it without glue?
    Most tubeless setups require you to run sealant. The older UST system is the exception, but those have fallen out of favor. So, yes, you need to run sealant with that tire, or a tube.

Dealing with sealant can be a pain, but it's more than worth it if you ride anyplace that has thorns. With removable valve cores and a syringe, topping up the sealant a couple times of year is pretty painless.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

You can still run a tubeless tire with tubes.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    2.4" and 2.3" is the width of the tire. Wider tire casing will have more volume and more cushion, so less chance of pinch flats or denting a rim at the same tire pressure, or the ability the run lower tire pressure (more traction/comfort) depending on how you look at it.
    makes sense...what about sprocket options? shes geared too low IMO at the moment climbs super easy, i would like more top end

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    You can still run a tubeless tire with tubes.
    yeah but i would think tube plus sealant would be the ultimate??

Pro Crastinator
    tldr: plenty of maxxis 24" tires of all sorts can be found around if you look in the right places. fwiw, maxxis tires run pretty narrow. a 2.5 will be much closer to a 2.3., Their 2.35's are like cx tires...

May The Force Be With You
    have your wheels tuned by a good reputable person. one or two lose spokes could end painfully. you'll be ko'ing those jumps and drops in no time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

Pro Crastinator
    ^^^^ this. even pinner rims will withstand a ridiculous amount of abuse if you keep them tensioned up right. a proper rim kept the same will last you years if you're not a hack...