3 peice or isis...what is better?- Mtbr.com
    T.Dot Represent

3 peice or isis...what is better?

ive presently got a hussefelt (made by truvativ) crankset and a truvativ gigapipe bb and for some reason i cant get the chain to stop rubbing the inside plate of my blackspire guide. also there is a gap of about half a cm on the non driveside between the frane and BB cup

so what i was thinking is rather then get some bb spacers just get a 3peice crankset since i was planning on replacing my hussefelts anyways what do you guys think?
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

conjoinicorned
    i've ridden hussys, race face, shimano etc and my 3-piece destroy them in stiffness and feel without even a fair comparison, as well as being so easy to set-up it can be done drunk. (i ride FSA, my mate rides block8)

3-piece all the way (but they're heavy...)
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i've ridden hussys, race face, shimano etc and my 3-piece destroy them in stiffness and feel without even a fair comparison, as well as being so easy to set-up it can be done drunk. (i ride FSA, my mate rides block8)

3-piece all the way (but they're heavy...)
    have you ridden the Saints....those are stiff
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    ive presently got a hussefelt (made by truvativ) crankset and a truvativ gigapipe bb and for some reason i cant get the chain to stop rubbing the inside plate of my blackspire guide. also there is a gap of about half a cm on the non driveside between the frane and BB cup

so what i was thinking is rather then get some bb spacers just get a 3peice crankset since i was planning on replacing my hussefelts anyways what do you guys think?

any pictures?????????
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ummm...ISIS cranksets are 3 piece.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

conjoinicorned
    never ridden saints, too much $$ and too much shimano.

you got something there shiggy...i'm pretty sure my "3 piece" FSA's have a hell of a lot more than 3 pieces and my XT's have exactly 3 pieces... hmmm...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I think he's talking about BMX style 3 piece cranks, like Profile, etc.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    never ridden saints, too much $$ and too much shimano.
    actually on Ebay they can be had for 180

T.Dot Represent
    i think SMT should be sponsored by shimano cuz this is the second thread hes practically sold saints to me on... i forgot about the saint possibility im not really worried about disshing out extra cash if it is an upgrade that wont fall to peices. i forgot to mention that simplicity is more important to me and also they will be used for dh only not gunna be riding XC or anything lol tooo damn lazy!~
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    lol - BMX lingo X-over from when people used 1 piecers....

Pretty much all the cranks we use are 3 piece - excepting the 2 piece from Shimano and Race Face now (a la Sweetwings etc...)

And theres a load of psychology there - Some alu cranks are def as stiff as 3 piece - if you think otherwise, you're thinking about it! Try it blindfolded (which one is Pepsi!) - Chromo is def stronger in the end tho.

Setup is easier? I think lots of people will disagree there! Most tunable for width and chainline though.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    actually on Ebay they can be had for 180
    180 new?

Not a 1 time deal?

Hmm....

banned
    Yeah. Hence I love my Profiles.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    i think SMT should be sponsored by shimano cuz this is the second thread hes practically sold saints to me on... i forgot about the saint possibility im not really worried about disshing out extra cash if it is an upgrade that wont fall to peices. i forgot to mention that simplicity is more important to me and also they will be used for dh only not gunna be riding XC or anything lol tooo damn lazy!~
    here is more detail why i like them

simplicity:you screw in two bearing cups...there is your bottom bracket...then you put crank which is attached to chainrings through the hole...then you put otherside crank arm on tighten it up...then tighten pinch bolts on crank.....off and on very easy (negative they give short pinch bolts...replace them immediately or they might strip out

strength...
    they are like double the width of regular cranks

transfer of torgue the crank is solid so more power is going to pushing your bike further ahead then being absorb by flex

Overall I love mine and I am buying a new set for my pedaling bike

Lightness
    I was very surprised to find out with bottom bracket they weigh under 1200 grams

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    180 new?

Not a 1 time deal?

Hmm....
    just got to look around and wait for a good deal...majority of the saints sell between 200 to 210 but 180 is what my friend got his for

mtbr member
    three peice BMX style cranks are super strong and stiff. there are also many good isis cranksets, like saints and diabolous. try to get some used. i ride diabolous, my friend rides saint, we both love our sets. no problems with either.

no big deal
    I've run Race Face cranks, Shimano, TruVativ, all the usuals....none of them compare to my Deity's. If you're worried about weight go Deity's with a titanium spindle and they'll probably be lighter than any regular crankset.
    I heard some people complaining about the bearings on Saint bottom brackets going out though. You may want to consider looking into that before dropping a chunk o' change on them.
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by skahtrisoxide
    I've run Race Face cranks, Shimano, TruVativ, all the usuals....none of them compare to my Deity's. If you're worried about weight go Deity's with a titanium spindle and they'll probably be lighter than any regular crankset.
    I heard some people complaining about the bearings on Saint bottom brackets going out though. You may want to consider looking into that before dropping a chunk o' change on them.
    I've run loads fo cranks to, and most compare quite nicely.

A titanium axel under a rough rider = loads of blown bearings. I havent heard a single complaint about Saint bearings. The ti spindle isnt magically going to make heavy steel cranks light; lighter yes - light, no.

Creative as expected.
    Last edited by Huck Banzai; 01-12-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0